Replacement headunit options that suit the E30 interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chris325i View Post
    I had this installed in January. I think it fits very nicely and keeps the car looking stock while adding modern features like bluetooth, usb and aux connectivity.
    What do you guys think?
    [ATTACH]107669[/ATTACH]
    That is easily the best unit available; have been looking at them for too long. I think I'd go sans bluetooth though.

How well does the orange/amber illumination match at night in the car? It looks like it would be reallllly close.

I also like the stripped down vdo models that are near identical in build.
    1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

I was about ready to pull the trigger on the Clarion FZ102e....then I find out it doesnt have BT :(

Comment

I've been wanting to get rid of my Alpine CDA 9885 and almost pulled the trigger on a Nakamichi CD 400, but realized it wouldn't allow me to control the ipod.
        Really hard to find a good-sounding, amber lit, period-looking HU that also has at least some modern options that we all require.

I wish there was an OE unit that could be gutted and updated with new innards. Now that would be the shit.

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
          I've been wanting to get rid of my Alpine CDA 9885 and almost pulled the trigger on a Nakamichi CD 400, but realized it wouldn't allow me to control the ipod.
          Really hard to find a good-sounding, amber lit, period-looking HU that also has at least some modern options that we all require.

I wish there was an OE unit that could be gutted and updated with new innards. Now that would be the shit.
          There is.

Search jaysterling
          Originally posted by codyep3
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
          2010 F650gs twin
          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

So anyone see the clarion m508 as dropped by thesmokingtire

I like the look, it comes out next month I think

Comment

I have a pretty low cost Kenwood that included Bluetooth; and that is really ALL I use. I don't use the CD or the Radio. I just stream from my phone. It also has a USB jack (to stream from a thumbdrive) and a mini din jack for headphone jack usage. Additionally, it supports direct control of Pandora and iHeartRadio. I think it cost me about $100, and it has 45watts x 4 if you don't want to use an external amp.

The best part? I can change the display color to a red that is almost a 100% match to the red on the OEM dash panel. It looks like it could be stock!

Comment

Bravo View IND-400BT

If anyone is looking for something OEM looking and cheap that does USB + Bluetooth + Radio at a low price, I can recommend this as indeed, very inexpensive: $40. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016KOPV1M/

The LED color is slightly off, but who can complain, at this price. Tell people it looks like a "period appropriate aftermarket unit", if they give you any grief.

Comment

Originally posted by tewhalen View Post
                    If anyone is looking for something OEM looking and cheap that does USB + Bluetooth + Radio at a low price, I can recommend this as indeed, very inexpensive: $40. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016KOPV1M/

The LED color is slightly off, but who can complain, at this price. Tell people it looks like a "period appropriate aftermarket unit", if they give you any grief.

How do you like it? , Sound quality?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by tewhalen View Post

Interesting... Could you take some more photos? Does it have an RCA subwoofer hookup? How does it sound?

Comment

Originally posted by dishwab View Post
                        Interesting... Could you take some more photos? Does it have an RCA subwoofer hookup? How does it sound?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                        '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                        '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by dishwab View Post
                          I'll try to take some more photos, maybe tomorrow when I'm working on my control arms. There are two RCA plugs on the back, maybe they're for a subwoofer? I dunno.

Here's the wiring diagram from the manual. Note that while this does not depict a "ILLUM" wire, the wiring harness that I received with mine did have one, see second pic. It seems to dim the display when the headlights are on. I have no idea whether the P.ANT wire would actually do anything to the power antenna, some previous owner of my car took ours out.

It sounds fine, I guess. I don't feel cheated out of my $40. I have a convertible, and we're going for an authentic '80s experience (no music before 1983 or after 1991).

Comment

Perfect, thank you. That's exactly what I was hoping for.

Comment

A brand new and updated Blaupunkt Bremen SQR46 from Germany is the answer to all "modern tech with period look" car hifi dilemmas
                              '92 MTech cabrio: Tesla P85 powered

IG: telsa_bimmer

'95 Alpine M3 5.3 LS, Precision 7675, TH400/Gear Vendors OD
                              10.4@136 pump gas at 3530lbs. (SOLD)

Comment

Great thread for comparing options so I'm going to keep it going...

I'm looking specifically for an analog/physical EQ option (will settle for just bass & treble knobs).

Blaupunkt has them, some of the old Denon heads have them... I remember this Volvo head unit from the 90s but it won't fit too well in the E30. What else??
                                1989 325is ✨

Comment

Working...
                                X