Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Stealth Stereo install - ground loop issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
    So, do you have noise with the amplifier inputs disconnected?

FWIW, my preferred head unit bypass approach these days is Bluetooth into a Dayton DSP-408. Avoiding a bunch of extra DA/AD conversions and head unit variability seems to produce better results. Also, since bluetooth generally streams in AAC, you (probably) even avoid transcoding/downsampling this way when you’re playing standard iTunes files.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but Im trying to avoid bluetooth.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Girard View Post
      A capacitor before the amplifier will help eliminate unwanted alternator noise. It doesn't have to be a large one. A 0.5 or 1.0 farad capacitor would work just fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      I dont have any experience with capacitors in car auto. I was always under the impression that their intended use for high voltage draw. My alternator is 150amp and this is a pretty basic amp -- do you think this would help?

Comment

Originally posted by E Coded View Post
        I dont have any experience with capacitors in car auto. I was always under the impression that their intended use for high voltage draw. My alternator is 150amp and this is a pretty basic amp -- do you think this would help?
        I've used them in larger audio systems to help with dimming lights when a subwoofer is installed but it also eliminated my alternator whine. Capacitors store energy and are used to filter or buffer any sudden changes in a circuit's voltage, smoothing the ensuing signal. You can get a cheep one on ebay for less then $30. Most people install them in line on the power cable to your amp but I've heard people put it in line from the alternator to the battery. There's a ton of info on how to build your own capacitor to fix alternator noise or even a ground loop isolator.

Comment

Also try running your rca cables seperatly from your remote turn on cable. I ran mine down the center of the car under the center console and carpet to keep them separate from all the amp wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by E Coded View Post
            I am having issues with engine noise coming through the speakers, so it likely a ground loop problem.
            Did you ever get this problem sorted? If so, what fixed it?

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post
              Did you ever get this problem sorted? If so, what fixed it?
              Unfortunately no. I tried pretty much everything mentioned here and by others. I replaced all the wiring multiple times, ran cables in different configurations, tried different ground locations, tested another amp, and the finally I bought a cheap single din blaupunkt deck. No matter what there was still engine noise coming through the speakers. The factory remote/antenna wire is being used here so maybe there is a problem with how that circuit is grounded?

Comment

Working...
              X