Demon possessed headlights & AC condensor fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demon possessed headlights & AC condensor fan

The high/low speed resistor on my AC condensor pusher fan was cracking away to nothing, so i deleted it and wired both power supply wires together, figuring the fan would just run on high speed all the time when triggered by the high coolant temp switch or the AC compressor switch. Result:

1. High coolant temp switch does not turn on the fan at all

2. AC compressor switch only turns on the fan if the high beam headlights are on. I'm not making this up.

3. Low beam headlights work normally. High beams only light up the two driver-side lights, passenger side lights are off.

Clearly I'm not an electrician. Can a sparky out there shed some light on my situation?

Thanks.
    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

I don't have an answer for you 100%. I have done this modification, but I did it over two years ago. I don't quite remember the specifics. I know I tied the wires where the resistor is together like you did. There was a fuze box modification on the underside as well though. I don't remember what that was exactly.

I did get the idea and instructions on this forum, but not necessarily this specific Car Audio and Electronics section. It was in answer to someone elses question, so it wasn't the opening post either. So you can probably find the information. I forget what search terms I used, but it's in a post somewhere on here.

I'm including the wiring diagram so maybe you can puzzle it out.

Current - 1991 E30 325i Auto Vert, 2013 F30 335i M-sport, 2014 F25 X3 M-sport
    Past - 1986 E30 325es, 1988 E30 M3, 1991 E34 535i 5sp, 1991 E31 850i 6sp, 1992 E36 325i, 1995 E36 M3, 2000 E46 323i, 2009 E60 535i, 2011 E90 335d

Comment

Thanks for your reply. After scrutinizing the wiring diagram at length, it appears that poor workmanship on my part when I joined the power feeds together was the problem:
      "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

Working...
      X