Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• george graves
    replied
    I made one comment, on one post you made. If I was trolling you, your mom would text you.

Leave a comment:

• Five5peed
    replied
    Originally posted by george graves View Post
    (eye-roll)
    And now I’m being trolled by George Graves. Very revealing..... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• george graves
    replied
    (eye-roll)

Leave a comment:

• AndrewBird
    replied
    Andrew - you've been around her way too long to know that's not true. Your playing stupid for the noobs is disingenuous at best.

There's a big difference between using a incandescent bulb as a "protection circuit" and using it as part of a RC network. I don't have the wiring diagram that Luke used, but I suspect that's what he did. I've said that from the start - this is what I think happened. It's my educated guess.

Now, I'll be glad to debate with you where GAS when wrong in their "business". Let me know where you want to start. I know you're one of Luke's friends - so I get it. But for the love of God man, let it go. It's over. Move on. Luke isn't coming back.
    Seems like you are the one who can't let it go...

Leave a comment:

• george graves
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
    Did you ever even own any of his products or get screwed over by him? You certainly act like you did.
    Andrew - you've been around her way too long to know that's not true. Your playing stupid for the noobs is disingenuous at best.

There's a big difference between using a incandescent bulb as a "protection circuit" and using it as part of a RC network. I don't have the wiring diagram that Luke used, but I suspect that's what he did. I've said that from the start - this is what I think happened. It's my educated guess.

Now, I'll be glad to debate with you where GAS when wrong in their "business". Let me know where you want to start. I know you're one of Luke's friends - so I get it. But for the love of God man, let it go. It's over. Move on. Luke isn't coming back.
    Last edited by george graves; 07-19-2019, 04:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewBird
    replied
    George, your lack of actual knowledge on this topic is showing.

Crossover Fuses at Parts Express. Choose speaker crossover tweeter protector lamps, bulb replacement tweeter protection lamp for crossovers plus.

Did you ever even own any of his products or get screwed over by him? You certainly act like you did.

Leave a comment:

• george graves
    replied
    Originally posted by FredK View Post
    I hope these bulbs weren't placed in a filter circuit, since you want the filter frequency to be a set value, and I doubt they were.
    Well, if you browse through that bimmerforums e38 PNC link where he blow us, and takes his marbles home, there a lot of talk about 2 different batches of the PNC's that he did. One worked good. The second batch was unlistenable it was so bad. IRRC even the infamous Jordan chimes in at some point - having bought two, one good, and one bad. Being that all those caps and inductors are run-of-the-mill, off the shelf stuff from partexpress.com, it's kinda points to the bulbs.

Leave a comment:

• FredK
    replied
    Looking at his crossovers, he used something odd - rather then a resistor rated for the power it needed to dissipate the heat, on all of his crossovers, he used a standard, autozone type automotive lamp. Like a 1980's car overhead light bulb - and used that as a resistor.

He're what I think happened. Luke took a multimeter to the bulb and measured it's resistance.....and said "Hey, I can use this as a resistor in my crossovers!" - But what he didn't know was that as a bulb filament heats up, it's resistance changes dramatically. Basically a bulb is a very poor resistor. (Resistors, at least decent ones, should stay the same value of resistance throughout their wattage range)
    Dome light bulbs were definitely used in crossovers designed in the say 1970s and 1980s, mostly as tweeter protection as you started to dump more power into your speakers. Wired in series, it would act to prevent damage to the tweeter. I don't think Luke measured the cold resistance and had a lightbulb go off over his head :nice:, I think he was paying homage to the crossover networks / tweeter protection concepts of yore.

I hope these bulbs weren't placed in a filter circuit, since you want the filter frequency to be a set value, and I doubt they were.

Leave a comment:

• george graves
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    EDIT2: Looking back at this pic, those do look like dome light bulbs soldered in?....
    Yes - it's in all of his work, sadly.

There's also along list of screen captures of him holding people boxes hostage if they dare to leave feedback for him.

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
    so whats the consensus, is a (his) ported box actually better for e30s? or would sealed be better?
    Ported vs Sealed box is a question for the ages. Generally speaking, ported makes a sub louder, but less tight sounding. That's good if you like low and loud. Or if you only have an 8" woofer, it's extra good to get down low and make it a bit more pronounced. When you have a 12" woofer, some people go for sealed to make it tighter, and more accurate, but less "I want to shake the neighborhood" - With that said, there are exception to every rule, and it depends on a lot of factors.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    I installed some of his products (ported through the center parcel shelf, ported through the seat and ported through the stock speaker locations), they all sounded great, even so with the cheap speaker he would throw in for free when the customer requested.

Also installed one of his crossovers, didn't have any weird light bulb, was actually a well put together product, but this was many years ago - not sure about his 5 series products, or stock upgrades.

EDIT: Looks like 2015 was the last time we saw anything from him at the shop...

https://www.instagram.com/p/1j7y_vGvnh/

EDIT2: Looking back at this pic, those do look like dome light bulbs soldered in?....

72 likes, 0 comments - WOT-Tech (@wottech) on Instagram: "German Audio Specialties passive awesomeness"

Leave a comment:

• jrobie79
    replied
    so whats the consensus, is a (his) ported box actually better for e30s? or would sealed be better?

Leave a comment:

• george graves
    replied
    His crossover wasn't a flop
    Tell that to dozens of e39 guys on Bimmerforums that received units that were so unlistenable, they would try thing like unplugging a tweeter just to make it sound decent (and no, that didn't work). Luke's response to that was to "go pound sand, I'm done"

So yea. The crossovers were a flop for them. For sure. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...SP-E39s/page11

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
    I did not get involved. It was sort of an unfortunate train wreck to observe on here.
    Looking at his crossovers, he used something odd - rather then a resistor rated for the power it needed to dissipate the heat, on all of his crossovers, he used a standard, autozone type automotive lamp. Like a 1980's car overhead light bulb - and used that as a resistor.

He're what I think happened. Luke took a multimeter to the bulb and measured it's resistance.....and said "Hey, I can use this as a resistor in my crossovers!" - But what he didn't know was that as a bulb filament heats up, it's resistance changes dramatically. Basically a bulb is a very poor resistor. (Resistors, at least decent ones, should stay the same value of resistance throughout their wattage range)

Eventually he got a different batch of bulbs - or something. And "poof" there goes all the work that was done.

I tried to relay this info to him by a friend of a friend to tell him this, but he didn't want anything to do with that advice.

And should we talk about all the posts he deleted when he was a mod that criticized his work in any way?

Leave a comment:

• bmwman91
    replied
    His crossover wasn't a flop, I have one and it is great. His management of his business was the flop, not the products he was producing.
    That was always my impression as things went down. I bought a compact box from him and received it in a timely fashion. When I was heavily into electrical modifications of amplifiers and head units, him and I also spoke on the phone about product ideas and such. He was super enthusiastic about audio and pushing limits. As far as what the "real" deal with GAS going under was, I have no idea since I did not get involved. It was sort of an unfortunate train wreck to observe on here.

Leave a comment:

• e30davie
    replied
    Is this magical luke box just a box that fits in an e30? Maybe there is a market for a Dave box.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewBird
    replied
    Are we talking about the same Luke Fisher? There is a entire FB group that someone started to talk about for the number of people he screwed over. Countless others that bought into his crossover that was a flop.

@Five5peed May I ask how you sent the money? Did you actually receive the item, or are you waiting on it???
    His crossover wasn't a flop, I have one and it is great. His management of his business was the flop, not the products he was producing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X