Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

771 here, recently posted about it here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...56#post4816956
    Attached Files

Comment

Another mtech down. No more cars for me or I would be buying it. This is the aforementioned SS car in Vancouver I've seen for many years. Too bad it doesn't come with the hardtop and the mtech interior is long gone.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
        https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...417058392.html

Another mtech down. No more cars for me or I would be buying it. This is the aforementioned SS car in Vancouver I've seen for many years. Too bad it doesn't come with the hardtop and the mtech interior is long gone.

Part the badge?

Comment

I annoys me that the guy posted a ton of pics before the accident. What good is that?
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

So you can see what it could look like after it's fixed?
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Even more annoying that he won't return an email/phone call...

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...417058392.html

Update: went and looked at this on Friday. DOT-R front end and a meh respray in the 90s sometime. Funky cloth door panels and rear seat, leather fronts. Front end damage was substantial and would have needed a lot to be correct. I decided to pass. One of my customers ended up purchasing it for far less than advertised. Sounds like he'll be fixing it.

Comment

I feel like I should have posted years back when you first started this thread, better late then never? I've owned two S770a cars over a 3 year period of time.

First off was my 1991. I owned it a little over a year and did a few OEM+ modification's under my ownership, mostly suspension work. It was a all matching VIN stock example found over in Vallejo, CA from a older Asian man who let his daughter drive it to school throughout high school. They owned it for many years, I was the 3rd owner. The white interior was so far gone I ended up installing factory leather black convertible front/ rear seats, with the exception of the rear seats being patched at the top (convertible owner's know the common tear spot). It also was equipt with the factory "extended leather package" which included leather on the front door panels only, though they were also too far gone to save and where sold separately from the car. I was able to source a stock white vinyl set of door panels from a S770a parts car. If I could do it again I would have eventually had the seats recovered in the stock white leather, I've come a long way since owning that car.. I'm now a factory dealer technician at my local BMW dealer. The car was sold with a hardtop (which I purchased separately from the car) and the factory 14" white basketweaves it originally came with. It's now located somewhere in the Santa Barbra area.

PREVIOUSLY OWNED
                  Kevin O'Brien | San Fransisco, CA
                  Production date: 07/91
                  S770A in Alpineweiss II/Lotuswhite
                  VIN: EC27398
                  Automatic

My next S770A ownership was because of a friend, he found this one sitting on a side street in Palo Alto, CA. I left a note and got a phone call back some months later, after a little over a year the seller and I were able to work out a deal. Just like my last one the seller didn't know what he really had and was under the impression it was a standard BMW 325i. I payed double for this car but seeing how often Mtech's come up in general it was a fair deal. It's such an original example car it still had the original BMW water pump installed which I found when changing the timing belt. I was also the first to remove the gauge cluster (only removed to rebuild the SI Board, the car still has factory odometer gears installed) since it still had the factory anti tamper proof wire which needs to be cut and removed in order to remove the cluster (though my first Mtech also had the factory tamper proof wire attached/ never had its cluster removed either, a rare sight if you ask me). At the moment I completed a 5 speed swap on the car and had Ground Control build me a set of coilovers. I also sourced a hardtop for this car like my last. It currently has 104k original miles and is a all matching VIN car.

CURRENTLY OWNED
                  Kevin O'Brien | San Fransisco, CA
                  Production date: 03/92
                  VIN: EC29334
                  5 Speed Manual

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 12-29-2017, 11:29 PM.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                  1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                  1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                  1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                  1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                  1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                  Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                  1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                  1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

I just really read through this thread.
                    Mine is an S770 car
                    Alpineweiss II over White (converted to M Tech cloth centers)
                    Engine swapped to an S14 (there is an entire E30M3 donor car under this Cabrio)
                    Drivetrain, suspension, instrument cluster. Its a fun car.
                    Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics. I'm a terrible photographer to start with and then add to that I did these quick on my phone.

Jimmy P.
                    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                    92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                    98 318Ti Morea Green
                    04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

^there was a car like this for sale in georgia or the carolinas perhaps 3 or 4 years ago? if this is the same one, it was priced very reasonably.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

That’s a cool whip, JimmyP

Comment

Yep, its Tim Ng's ex car. Tim wrote the story of the car on the SIG after he purchased the car from a local to him dealership.
                          Then posted progress reports through the swap process as he had a lightly wrecked E30M3 donor car (that in todays market would have been fixed, back then it became a donor) that he took the entire drivetrain, suspension, dash, etc from.

I always loved the whole idea (even thought about doing one myself) so as soon as I found out he had it for sale I bought it.
                          It was odd, he did not post the FS to the SIG, but posted it for sale elsewhere outside the SIG and then he mentioned it in passing he was trying to sell it. I called him and said I'll take it.
                          I've been working on it quite a bit since buying it, mostly making it "mine".

Tim had done some updates to the car along with the swap.
                          I took the late model stereo out of it, took the fancy HID type lights out, the sub in the trunk, the remote locking, went all white on the engine bits vs Tim's yellow engine treatments, did lots of wiring (or re-wiring).
                          I'm super picky about wiring processes and neatness so I undid and re-did a lot of stuff. Just being OCD, I can't stand insulated crimps, if I see one I need to cut it off and replace it with a non insulated one and heat shrink. Stuff like that.
                          Car had great bones, it just needed some TLC in some areas to make it the car I wanted it to be.

I wanted it to look more stock-like "period correct" as if it were a 770 car that just happened to come from BMW with an S14.
                          Runs great, handles about as good as a Cab can be expected to, so much fun on sunny days.
                          Last edited by JimmyP; 01-01-2018, 07:52 PM.
                          Jimmy P.
                          98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

Originally posted by Echo30V View Post
                            That’s a cool whip, JimmyP
                            Thanks very much. It was a great addition.
                            Jimmy P.
                            98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

Jason Price | Denham Springs, LA
                              Production date:
                              VIN: wbabb2317nec27960
                              Auto
                              Hard top

Comment

Registry updated. Seeing other folks enjoying theirs helps to keep me motivated to keep going on mine. Finally got it back from the painter about a month ago. Goal is to have it back on the road by end of summer. Lots of parts to buy in the mean time. Slowly turning into a nut and bolt restoration...

Comment

Working...
                                X