Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am purchasing shocks/struts for my E30 Convertible. The shocks/struts that Sachs/Boge makes for the E30 convertible are specific to the convertible. I want to make sure that the place I buy from send me the correct shocks/struts that are made specifically for the convertible. So, would like to know if the part numbers are imprinted on the actual shocks/struts, so I can confirm I got the correct ones for the convertible?

Comment

Ask for 51mm units, those are cab specific.
      47mm on copues and sedans.

Comment

Originally posted by fporro View Post
        Ask for 51mm units, those are cab specific.
        47mm on copues and sedans.

It was my understanding that all early e30's were 47mm
        and after about 88 or so all went to 51mm housings.
        would be nice to know for sure. even so your car
        may have had a strut replaced in its lifetime with an
        early or late. so would be good to check before ordering.
        Last edited by owenjm; 10-05-2009, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Update on my situation:

I Ordered Sachs Vert specific shocks/struts through Pelican and didnt receive correct Sach shocks/struts per Sachs website:

Pelican lists the correct BMW OEM Part number for the Sach on their page as being 31-32-1-133-560 for the front and 33-52-1-132-123 for the rear. Which is correct per OEM BMW. But what I received was a box of Sach Advantage 100 590 for the front and Sach Advantage 105 750 which per Sach's 2008 Catalog is for either an 87-89 325i or 84-87 325e upgraded shock and strut.

Per the Sachs website, the correct Sach for the e30 convertible is the Sach Super Touring 100857 for the front and the Sach Super Touring 105762 for the rear.

I called up Pelican and the guy I spoke to stated they can not special order the correct shock and struts for the e30 convertible and why they list the ones I received as the correct ones is that they are a heaveir duty shock and strut.

I am concern as I ordered all new shock and struts protection tubes, front and rear spring pads, and front and rear shock bump stops. My concern is that if these are heavy duty compared to the regular convertible shocks and struts then how well will the strut bump stops and shock bump stops I purchase hold up to these heavier duty shocks and struts?

First, will the bump stops even fit and the protection tubing even fit?

Secondly will the oem foam shock and strut bump stops I purchased for my convertible (thinking I was actually getting the correct convertible shocks and struts) beable to handle the heavy duty shocks and struts or will they wear out a lot faster?

What you guys think?

P.S.

First, this is so not part of the real story, as my real concerns are if the oem shock bump stops will fit and be able to handle and not wear out faster with this upgraded Sachs Advantage compared to the vert specific shock/struts.

With that being said, has anyone ever heard of Bekkers.com as on their website they say they have the correct convertible shocks and struts. Anyone ever use them or have any positive or negative things to say about them?
          Last edited by IS300E30; 10-10-2009, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I am about to "spring" for a set of Diana springs from a 1988 E30 M3. I have a 1988 325 vert. Any comments would help out. I have read in this thread where the rear sits too low and other that say it works just fine. If the rear is too low it sounds like I can lift it a bit with different base pads. Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Jim
            sigpic

Comment

I am about to "spring" for a set of Diana springs from a 1988 E30 M3.
              I am guessing you meant Dinan,
              not Diana,
              but Diana must be pretty hot if you talking car parts and her name still comes to mind....,

there seems to be conflicting info on that,
              you can always use you stock cabbies if you have too,
              just replacing the front will bring the car down a lot and this set up would give you a bit of rake as well....
              Dinan are good springs...

Comment

Thanks for the info BDK and sorry for the misspelling. I just bought the springs and shocks. I like your thoughts on keeping the rear stock cabbie springs and see how she sits. Do you think the Koni shocks will be too short for the stock springs?

Cheers,

Jim
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VacMan View Post
                  H&R cabrio springs with Koni Yellows. Pic of my Dad pulling it out of the garage about 30 minutes before he nearly destroyed my front lip. Next time he's getting a rental car. :D

i love your interior...tsk tsk

Comment

here's what i have
                    '90 325iC
                    Stock Sachs Shocks
                    eibach pro-kit springs
                    m3 CAB

from what ive been reading h&R cabrio springs and bilstein shocks are the most preferred set up. I think that's what im going to buy soon.
                    Last edited by beybedba; 03-25-2011, 01:01 AM.

Comment

1991 318ic
                      Koni Yellow's (doesn't matter if it's a vert or sedan/coupe.)
                      Intrax springs
                      I used factory rear upper mounts for a E46 vert, and Z3 re-inforcement plates. The mounts lasted for about a year before they were completely shot. I would recommend an aftermarket poly set.

Comment

Just an update on my thread. The correct specific for the vert stock oem Sach front struts are on a 3 week backorder. I was luckly able to find one company that had the correct Sach Super Touring Struts in stock ( I actually bought their last two they had and I bought the correct rear convertible specific sach shocks) Correct fronts for convertible per Sach catalog is part number 100 857 and rear are part number 105 762.

On Pelican website, it states the correct BMW OEM number but what they send you is the incorrect application. So, anyone looking for the stock shocks for the convertible specific application. Please stay away from Pelican (not ripping into Pelican, as I bought everything else from them).

Comment

my setup:
                          stock s52 engine from 2000 m z3
                          stock front cabrio sway
                          19mm rear sway
                          treehouse cabs,
                          vogtland cabby springs to be replaced with a decent set of coil overs
                          bilstein sport struts/shocks
                          17" kopi alpinas
                          ie aftermarket 310mm front brakes and pbr calipers
                          cross drilled rear rotors to be one day changed to aftermarket ie matching the fronts
                          hydroboost brake system from an e23
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                            my setup:
                            stock s52 engine from 2000 m z3
                            stock front cabrio sway
                            19mm rear sway
                            treehouse cabs,
                            vogtland cabby springs to be replaced with a decent set of coil overs
                            bilstein sport struts/shocks
                            17" kopi alpinas
                            ie aftermarket 310mm front brakes and pbr calipers
                            cross drilled rear rotors to be one day changed to aftermarket ie matching the fronts
                            hydroboost brake system from an e23
                            Do want to see
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I have a cabrio and I want to lower it but am not sure of what springs to look for. Im almost considering cutting the stock springs. Does anyone know where I can find a set of springs to lower my car for around $100. I know thats low but money is hard now so...

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by v8fc3s View Post
                                I have a cabrio and I want to lower it but am not sure of what springs to look for. Im almost considering cutting the stock springs. Does anyone know where I can find a set of springs to lower my car for around $100. I know thats low but money is hard now so...

Thanks for your help.
                                Do not cut your springs. The quality of your livelihood will suffer. Get M3 springs.
                                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                                X