Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I second that Patrick, most coilover springs are 55mm or 60mm inner diameter.

H&R's you have fit oem struts set up only but you could adjust them by using thinner spring pads and e90 (?) Top hats.

JOM's use a dual size spring, 55 or 60 (?) Lower and oem hat size on top, adjuster replace nut that holds shock in strut.

Heres pic of 55mm and gc c/c plate... http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/album.php?albumid=7557

And lower side can be seen here... http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/album.php?albumid=7028

Dont have pics of Joms but look in their group buy for examples.

Aloha
    Last edited by fporro; 08-05-2015, 11:08 AM.

Comment

To clarify, most coilover springs are 2.25, 60mm or 2.5".

60mm are least common here in America, but very common in Europe.

Ground Control primarily uses 2.5", except for divorced rear assemblies where 2.25 is preferred.
      Suspension tips here...
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

1987 325i Vert on e36 m3 BavAuto Sport springs

With hardtop:

Without hardtop:

It lowered the car about 1.5-2" and took away most of the floaty feeling from the factory springs. At the same time, the still feels pretty smooth over rough roads and is high enough to not have to worry about scraping or breaking an oil pan. (It's also for sale http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=382495)
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Can anyone comment about how well these suspension set ups handle 4 adults? Does the rear look ridiculously low from the outside? Does it ever bottom out? I'm concerned about the practicality of my convertible (oxymoron?).

Comment

Originally posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post
            Can anyone comment about how well these suspension set ups handle 4 adults? Does the rear look ridiculously low from the outside? Does it ever bottom out? I'm concerned about the practicality of my convertible (oxymoron?).
            Some thoughts...

While I have never had my e30 in Baltimore, I took it to D.C. a couple months ago. With 2 adults and some luggage and wearing 15x8 wheels with 205/55 tires on H&R Sport, Bilstein Sport, 15mm drop hats, and stiff aftermarket swaybars, the ride was...good. Not great, but good. The potholes were a challenge and I spent some time dodging them.

I semi-daily my e30 and with no passengers (just me) things are a little more relaxed but I do still find myself dodging questionable transitions into parking lots. Speed bumps are not really an issue but the jarring aspect of potholes drives me nuts. This is also a product of stiff swaybars (which I need to swap out) but the suspension does not help.
            Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Ok, anyone else have input in regards to bottoming out? I currently have kW v1s on my e46 set to the highest settings (within spec) in both the front and rear. The rears are crazy low and look broken when I have 4-5 people in my car. I also have to religiously avoid pot holes and even just weird road bumps that aren't even holes. It's really annoying and I do not want to have my vert be like that. I don't care one bit about looks for my e30. Stock height doesn't scare me off. Any options? Or do all the suspensions available from places like pelican parts lower from stock...

Comment

I have soft eibach springs and bistein sports and it bottoms out with full load. three people and subs in the truck. The ride is pretty nice with two people and riding around. The springs get easily weighted down.

Comment

Any chance for a low front shot to show pan clearance????

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                  1987 325i Vert on e36 m3 BavAuto Sport springs

It lowered the car about 1.5-2" and took away most of the floaty feeling from the factory springs. At the same time, the still feels pretty smooth over rough roads and is high enough to not have to worry about scraping or breaking an oil pan. (It's also for sale http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=382495)

Comment

Originally posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post
                    Ok, anyone else have input in regards to bottoming out? I currently have kW v1s on my e46 set to the highest settings (within spec) in both the front and rear. The rears are crazy low and look broken when I have 4-5 people in my car. I also have to religiously avoid pot holes and even just weird road bumps that aren't even holes. It's really annoying and I do not want to have my vert be like that. I don't care one bit about looks for my e30. Stock height doesn't scare me off. Any options? Or do all the suspensions available from places like pelican parts lower from stock...
                    Ground Control should be able to set you up with springs at whatever rate and height you want, plus you get the height adjustment. The kit was $400 for springs and adjusters when I bought it and you can pick the dampers of your choice.
                    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

I feel so bad. I'm such a newb.

60% of the terms in this thread go over my head. I feel like I'm watching a documentary on craniology. I did read through the first 20 pages or so, and feel like I just slept through an algebra class.

For my cabriolet, I want a smooth ride. I don't want it lowered. I'm running stock wheels with stock tire size. I may grab a hardtop, if I can ever find one.

Can somebody just suggest a setup that I can order and then give to my mechanic, and perhaps explain why that setup will work well?

I've seen dozens of your setups, but being unaware of the basic terms make it difficult to understand what setup I'm actually looking for.

Created a new thread explaining: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...09#post4686309
                      Last edited by Republican; 09-06-2016, 12:32 AM. Reason: Created new thread

Comment

Originally posted by Republican View Post
                        I feel so bad. I'm such a newb.

60% of the terms in this thread go over my head. I feel like I'm watching a documentary on craniology. I did read through the first 20 pages or so, and feel like I just slept through an algebra class.

For my cabriolet, I want a smooth ride. I don't want it lowered. I'm running stock wheels with stock tire size. I may grab a hardtop, if I can ever find one.

Can somebody just suggest a setup that I can order and then give to my mechanic, and perhaps explain why that setup will work well?

I've seen dozens of your setups, but being unaware of the basic terms make it difficult to understand what setup I'm actually looking for.

Created a new thread explaining: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...09#post4686309
                        Your best bet is to get stock springs- as new as possible- from a convertible or to get a set of convertible-specific lowering springs that lower as little as possible (I believe that H&R Sport are the least aggressive) with a set of Bilstein struts. You can do the Bilstein HD struts with stock springs or Bilstein Sport struts with the H&R (or any other aftermarket) springs.

Depending on age and wear, you will also want to replace your front and rear upper strut mounts. These are fairly inexpensive but the labor is the killer if you have to do the job twice. If you replace them when you do the struts and springs there is no additional labor cost.

If you have specific questions just ask- most of us here are happy to help.
                        Patrick Henry

Comment

Has anyone tried OEM sport springs in the front only from h&r? M3 springs seem to be a good way to go for an inch up front. The hr oem plus lower the m3 front .25" and have about a 20% stiffer spring rate than the stock m3 springs. I am thinking this would bring the front down to level with my rear and give a slightly tighter feel up front. Interested in experiences before doing the labor.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverEnough02 View Post
                            Has anyone tried OEM sport springs in the front only from h&r? M3 springs seem to be a good way to go for an inch up front. The hr oem plus lower the m3 front .25" and have about a 20% stiffer spring rate than the stock m3 springs. I am thinking this would bring the front down to level with my rear and give a slightly tighter feel up front. Interested in experiences before doing the labor.
                            Are you asking about the H&R OE Sport springs?

I had them on my 1987 325 rallyX car (not a convertible) and they rode quite well. You COULD use the rears and do double spring pads or just leave the stock springs in place.

You could easily sell the rear OE Sport springs to someone who is using H&R Sport springs because they will help make their car more level.
                            Patrick Henry

Comment

Yes, those springs. I would be using front only. Rear is already about an an inch lower than the front on stock springs.

Originally posted by phenryiv1 View Post
                              Are you asking about the H&R OE Sport springs?

I had them on my 1987 325 rallyX car (not a convertible) and they rode quite well. You COULD use the rears and do double spring pads or just leave the stock springs in place.

You could easily sell the rear OE Sport springs to someone who is using H&R Sport springs because they will help make their car more level.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverEnough02 View Post
                                Yes, those springs. I would be using front only. Rear is already about an an inch lower than the front on stock springs.
                                They are good springs. They will settle a little with time. It you want more low in the front only, look at 15mm drop hats.
                                Patrick Henry

Comment

Working...
                                X