This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, probably read through this thread twice. I just finished doing a full suspension refresh on my 1992 325ic, and I'm looking for some advice on my next step.

Basically, I saw a car on this thread (photo below) and decided to copy the set up. Billy Sports, H&R Sport Coupe Springs, all pads in, and e90 Drop Hats. About 3 weeks to a month since installing these parts, it seems like they're not going to settle anymore.

So I'm wondering what would be my best route to lowering the front a bit more. I'm still a bit of a noob to all this, but I'm learning pretty quick doing all the work myself.

Thanks so much, without all you guys I'd never of been able to get where I am now.

Matt
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MattZC; 09-19-2016, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Oh wow, that front end is high. You can try taking out the pads to see if that will do it. Your front should be a lot lower than that

Comment

Would the spring pads make that much of a difference? Maybe if they're not allowing the springs to sit in the wells, but I doubt it with all that force. Still something to try.

I do have a full tank of gas and stuff in the trunk, it could be making it look lower in the back, but yeah it is high for sure. Would there of been any steps as far as modifications to the parts or instal process that I might of missed? Like altering the shocks or something? I mean I'm almost certain that everything's put together correctly.
        Last edited by MattZC; 09-16-2016, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattZC View Post
          Would the spring pads make that much of a difference? Maybe if they're not allowing the springs to sit in the wells, but I doubt it with all that force. Still something to try.

I do have a full tank of gas and stuff in the trunk, it could be making it look lower in the back, but yeah it is high for sure. Would there of been any steps as far as modifications to the parts or instal process that I might of missed? Like altering the shocks or something? I mean I'm almost certain that everything's put together correctly.
          That is a tough one. Nothing sounds off about your setup...Maybe if everything is new the springs are just slow to settle but a few weeks should do it. My setup was used but in the past I did new parts and within 500 miles it was lower than initially. At 1000 miles it was at the final height.

I can't really say that the front looks particularly high as much as the rear on your car looks a bit low. Measure your center-of-hub-to-fender-lip distance and post it here. I'll measure mine and post up as well, just for comparison.
          Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Well, since you referenced my car, ill chime in. Something is odd up front, and im not sure what. Although you are using different drophats, it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Mine are 15mm while yours are ~9mm. Brand new bearings could raise the car too. Did your drophats come with the thick washer?

Here was my coupe with the same exact suspension setup, WITH new bearings. Near identical to my cabrio.

COTM

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
              I'll go take some measurements and get back. I didn't realize the e90 drop hats were only ~9mm. I also don't recall and thicker-than-normal washer involved. I'll order some 15mm drop hats and remove the spring pads.

The car has almost 1000miles on the new setup so it should be settled. I burned a bunch of gas yesterday cruising around so I'll move the heavy stuff from the trunk to the passenger seat and get some more measurements.

Matt

EDIT: How do I put photos into the text instead of using the attachments? Do I need to host the image and then link the URL?

Comment

EDIT: How do I put photos into the text instead of using the attachments? Do I need to host the image and then link the URL?
                Yes, URL with [img] tags
                Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Yes. Host image, copy and paste direct image link into post, wrap it in [img]url_here[/img] tags.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                  Transaction feedback
                  - jpod999

Comment

Ok center of wheel to the bottom of the fender is 12.75 inches. All my heavy stuff was moved from the trunk to the passenger seat (minus the spare).

The photos I attached previously the car was parked on an angled surface. When I measured the fender in the previous photo, I got 13 and 3/8ths, the other side was 12 1/2. So I think the car not being on level ground had a large factor in the way it looked, although I still think it needs to come down a bit. Maybe its just gonna be the spring pads coming out.

Matt

Comment

My suspension is a mis-match. Ebiach springs/bilsteins up front e46 coilovers/JOM in the rear.
                      Attached Files

Comment

any go-to sites to find m3 springs?

Comment

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post

Might I ask what wheels your coupe has? They look like contour clones, but not quite. Could you list the size and offset? Really sweet looking set up, btw! :up:

Comment

Originally posted by bmwtool View Post
                            Might I ask what wheels your coupe has? They look like contour clones, but not quite. Could you list the size and offset? Really sweet looking set up, btw! :up:
                            They are throwing star reps, 16x7.5. Production stopped when BMW got wind of it so there are not to many made. I have no idea the offset but from what I found, they should be ~et25. They were rapped in 225/55/16 KDW2s. I sold this car a few years ago and it is missed.

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
                              They are throwing star reps, 16x7.5. Production stopped when BMW got wind of it so there are not to many made. I have no idea the offset but from what I found, they should be ~et25. They were rapped in 225/55/16 KDW2s. I sold this car a few years ago and it is missed.
                              I thought they looked like 16's. To me, the fitment looks perfect. Thanks for the info!

Comment

oem E30 M3 wheel conversion,,,

17 x 8" 215/40 9" 235/40

front KW + oem M-Tech springs,, rear,,, Bilstein B8 and H&R

car is very heavy,,,, 1450 kg or 3200 lbs
                                Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
                                ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
                                E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

Working...
                                X