Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY: Sunroof cassette/frame removal - with pictures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hoveringuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Jean View Post
    This thread just reminded me of something I was thinking about.... since the headliners and headliner foam material is different between sunroof and non-sunroof cars...will removing the cassette allow for installation of non sunroof foam/headliner w/o any issues?
    I just removed my cassette and have a non-sunroof headliner and the front trim piece. Don't have the non-sunroof foam...

Leave a comment:

• SkinnyVT
    replied
    Just did the cassette on a friends late model and found that there were only 3 spot welds across the front of the sunroof opening. This is the first car that I found this but the other two cars that I did this to were early models.

Leave a comment:

• Jean
    replied
    This thread just reminded me of something I was thinking about.... since the headliners and headliner foam material is different between sunroof and non-sunroof cars...will removing the cassette allow for installation of non sunroof foam/headliner w/o any issues?

Leave a comment:

• a.b
    replied
    In case of this thread, does anybody has extra sunroof cover 54121906710 in Black color for sale? ;)
    Or gaskets?

Leave a comment:

• calz4m
    replied
    Just finished this job. The writeup and photos helped a lot. I did it without a helper and do agree with one poster who said to leave the rear drain lines attached. It holds the cassette up even once detached from the roof in the rear so you can work towards the front. I did F up the roof a little in the front, but this is a track car so I don't care. The forward part of the roof between sunroof hole and windshield is pretty fragile so use caution there.

Thanks again to the OP for the writeup.

Leave a comment:

• evil_twin
    replied
    Trying to find a way to mount my sunroof without the cassette there. Thinking of doing it like the guy 2 posts up :)

Leave a comment:

• sennafan
    replied
    I would like to see the fiberglass panel you made. Has anyone tried this:

Leave a comment:

• hotballs
    replied
    Originally posted by etxxz View Post

IMO its worth the effort for the 35-40lbs. It took me about as long as it did to take out the dashboard and go beserk on the heater unit :twisted:

coming up, home made fiberglass sunroof.
    +1 for that heater unit! about to my sunroof, good write up.

Leave a comment:

• etxxz
    replied
    i just removed mine minutes ago... the cassette is only like 20-25lbs, the hardware (rails, motor, cables, sliders etc) ~ 3-5lbs and the sunroof panel itself is like 12-15lbs.

This s what i learned.
    Front 5 spot welds: i just used my angle grinder and cut like 1/4" from the roofline across the entire thing in 2minutes.
    B-pillar 5x spot welds: drilling didnt take too long to drill as I didint' have a spot weld drilling tool... it was a hell of a chest and shoulder work out that's for sure.
    The glue :didn't need a heat gun just strong, but careful, pulling. Here you'll see how weak your roof is. Once one side starts to unstick, be ready, the rest of the cassette will fall on your face.

IMO its worth the effort for the 35-40lbs. It took me about as long as it did to take out the dashboard and go beserk on the heater unit :twisted:

coming up, home made fiberglass sunroof.

Leave a comment:

• p0cket penguins
    replied
    I didnt even cut out the spot welds i just cut along the bands (front middle and back) and along the edge of the sunroof colored portion, which made a nice lip to put this type of bracket in.

I added two layers of automotive grade weather stripping and then dropped the sunroof into the slots and held it down with bolts. Then masking taped the bottom gap and masking taped around both edges on the roof and sunroof and filled it with black window sealer... smoothed it with a card and pulled the tape off... looks pretty mint.. ill get pics up this afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• Brian 89 325i
    replied
    Yeah, I've done this once. It wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. Too bad that project ran out of money.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Kaldar142
    replied
    Wow 30 lbs off the top of the car... I might do this

Leave a comment:

• Jparkr
    replied
    Its a good 30+ lbs. if I remember correctly from taking mine out.

Leave a comment:

• 1990m3
    replied
    nice write up, have you weighed the cassette? what's the total savings in weight?

Leave a comment:

• elsabor67
    replied
    Awesome writeup. That is some serious work there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X