Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY: Sunroof cassette/frame removal - with pictures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• efficient
    replied
    after removing the cassette does the roof flex more?

Leave a comment:

• HCMW Adam
    replied
    I think it was pretty smooth before the rust repair. I spread the welds out and tried to manage the heat. The rust repair was all in on corner and I think I rushed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• MyE30
    replied
    That’s unfortunate. Did the waviness happen before or after the rust repair?

Leave a comment:

• HCMW Adam
    replied
    I have a waterjet at work, so I just used that to cut the filler panel. It still needed a little sanding to fit. The welding process was easy enough. After finishing the panel I had to cut out a bunch of rust outside the sunroof hole. After finishing that bit there was a bit of waviness in the roof. I am not satisfied with it. There is also a little bit of rust outside that area on the other side.

I plan to cut it all out, add some supports and do it again

Leave a comment:

• eternal24k
    replied
    For those that did a delete years ago, how are they holding up? Does it look like a slick top after paint or has the patch become noticeable?

Leave a comment:

• MyE30
    replied
    Originally posted by HCMW Adam View Post
    Just did this today with the help of this post. Thank you. A spot weld drilling tool is amazing. Took them right out easily. Completely worth it.

Nice work. Did you cut that filter panel out yourself?

Interested to hear your experiences with the whole welding process.

Leave a comment:

• HCMW Adam
    replied
    Just did this today with the help of this post. Thank you. A spot weld drilling tool is amazing. Took them right out easily. Completely worth it.

Now is just need to fix the rust hole next to it

Leave a comment:

• scottos
    replied
    Thanks!

HUGE thanks for posting this! Managed to do this without butchering my roof too badly; this post was incredibly helpful.

Leave a comment:

• cbett1
    replied
    Looking for Casset!

If someone has one in working condition drop me a pm. thanks

Leave a comment:

• rwh11385
    replied
    Quite helpful. I somewhat wasn't patient enough to follow perfectly with drilling out the b pillar spot welds. Oh well

Leave a comment:

• 1owNslo
    replied
    wouldnt happen to have access to another one would ya??

Leave a comment:

• efficient
    replied
    Originally posted by 1owNslo View Post
    where in the bloody hell did you find a non sunroof headliner for a e30? cant find one anywhere???
    latemodel 318 with a slick top

Leave a comment:

• 1owNslo
    replied
    Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
    I just removed my cassette and have a non-sunroof headliner and the front trim piece. Don't have the non-sunroof foam...
    where in the bloody hell did you find a non sunroof headliner for a e30? cant find one anywhere???

Leave a comment:

• Lof8
    replied
    bookmarked

Leave a comment:

• Der Ruffian
    replied
    I'm going t do this to my E30.
    I'm using a carbon plate as a sunroof delete, simply gluing it into place with a very strong glue.
    (They use this glue on a very expensive supercar, to hold the carbon bodyparts together, can't remember the name on this glue).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X