Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think ill stay with plastic bumper cars.
    1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Vert bumper shocks ftw.
      Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

I know this is a very old thread... but I came upon it searching for "drill diving board shock e30" on google so I figured someone else might do the same.

I am glad I read this before doing this mod today getting my car ready to go to the body shop. I was able to prepare and plan a lot more appropriately. I made no mess, and more importantly, did not injure myself or anyone else in the process.

First, as others stated, have a breathing mask and goggles. I ended up not needing either one (don't know if I was lucky or good).

Second, when you drill the shock, do it at the end close to where the bumper mounts, not where the shock mounts to the car. Doing this will let the compressed gas out before any of the fluid comes out. This prevents any and all vaporization which according to this thread is extremely dangerous. You will hear the gas escaping once you penetrate your shock with a large drill bit. I used a multibit which made at least a 1/4" hole. Look away once you break through just as a precaution.

Lastly, get a bucket ready. After you let the gas out you can take a small mallet (I used a 5lb mini sledge) and hit the shock in to the desired depth. The fluid will now begin to push out and into your bucket. Catch whatever comes out. It will continue to ooze our for some time. Either park the car outside, put towels under the drips, or leave buckets under them.

The bumpers are now tucked... safely.

I was also curious why the stuff looks like smurf blood. It's like a green blue and has the consistency of a very light weight oil.
        "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
        -----------------------------------------
        91 318is Turbo Sold
        87 325 Daily driver Sold
        06 4.8is X5
        06 Mtec X3
        05 4.4i X5 Sold
        92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
        90 325i Sold
        97 328is Sold
        01 323ci Sold
        92 325i Sold
        83 528e Totaled
        98 328i Sold
        93 325i Sold

Comment

noted
          [sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Huff View Post
            You know, shocks from '88 bumpers are already tucked (and will still work as they should if you hit something or something hits you).

Didn't know if ya'll knew that... . .
            I know this is a really old thread, but since someone else already bumped it...

I have an 88, and the above statement is false... At least on mine.

Oh, and this should be sticky'd. I too had to Neo-dodge that shit.
            No E30 Club
            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

GLAD YOU OKAY! But fuck drilling them! im just going to run into a wall! at least i wont inhale Poison whatever!

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                I know this is a really old thread, but since someone else already bumped it...

I have an 88, and the above statement is false... At least on mine.

Oh, and this should be sticky'd. I too had to Neo-dodge that shit.
                Yeah, you're wrong. I have a set of 88s on my 87, and it brings them in @ 1/2-3/4 of an inch. It looks much better than total compression.
                Yours truly,
                Rich
                sigpic
                Originally posted by Rigmaster
                you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

For reference:
                  Mine is the black one ;)

Not Totally tucked like a high school kid's car, but tucked enough.
                  And another

Attached Files
                  Last edited by delatlanta1281; 02-15-2012, 02:41 PM.
                  Yours truly,
                  Rich
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah I didn't realize how bad they really were until I went to a meet years ago and I was compared my diving boards to *real* diving boards. I was a bit taken aback by the size
                    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

yeah, it's a pretty noticeable tuck compared to original. On the IS it looks good b/c it matches up with the mad max front fairing.
                      Yours truly,
                      Rich
                      sigpic

Comment

because if you put yours side by side with a completely untucked, early model diving board setup you'll see how drastic the difference is.

Comment

Wow wouldn't have noticed.

However, I did notice how the 88 has DB's and the lower rear arch... On one hand I don't like it, but on the other a plastic bumper swap should be easy.
                          No E30 Club
                          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

yeah, like I wrote earlier, when I was driving around with my US metal bumpers years ago I didn't realize what all the hoopla was about (89 cabrios have non-DB metal bumpers with the lower rear arches)...until I went to a meet and parked next to a kid with diving board bumpers and was like, whoooooaaaaaa :O

it's pretty drastic side by side but kinda hard to see otherwise :)

Comment

you sure about the lower rear arches on an 89 vert? why would they change that and not the tail lights? (i have an 89 vert)

it is true that an 89 vert doesnt have as massive DB though.

everything is so damn confusing when it comes to a vert and the body changes...
                              sigpic
                              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                                you sure about the lower rear arches on an 89 vert? why would they change that and not the tail lights? (i have an 89 vert)

it is true that an 89 vert doesnt have as massive DB though.

everything is so damn confusing when it comes to a vert and the body changes...
                                Convertibles are early bodies until mid 90. There aren't any betweens.
                                1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                                You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Working...
                                X