DIY Mini Voltage Meter Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Mini Voltage Meter Gauge

At one point I meant to grab one of georgegraves Volt Meter Gauges but alas he makes them no more so I had to improvise.

I picked up one of these at Adafruit for $7.95 +SH.

First thing I did is pop out my stock sound balance switch from behind and start to disablement it (Really simple just pried off the top and bottom off with a flat head.)

With it all apart the meter almost fit with no modification just had to file down this curve.

Here is one side done.

Then I took and rased the raised speaker icons with some sandpaper (obligatory bad pun)
    As an after thought if I had used some higher grit sand paper the finish would have looked a little nicer.

Then I RTVed the gauge in place with some black silicon rtv. Both top and bottom.

Put both top and bottom ceramic panels back and and tested it with a 9-Volt.

Put both clips back in. The ceramic panels fit snug (in the front) but I did not want to permanently attach them in case I want to come back and take it apart so just a piece of electrical tape to hold the panels on.

To wire it up just connect the red to Acc +12v I used my radios (Purple and white) and the black to ground radios (brown and white I think)

Finished product.

Some shots of it in the car. (The gauge was too bright for my shitty camera sorry for the bad pictures)

There you have it for under 10$ and an easy hour or two you will have a snazzy looking voltage gauge that fits right in the dash and looks stock.

Good find and thanks for the write up!

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Never thought about using those stupid audio balance things. Maybe you should put a amber gel coat and transparency over it, so it looks more OEM. Sweet.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
      PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

I see you are getting power/reading from the purple/white radio ACC wire. Does that give a reading of 14+V when the car is running?

I took my voltmeter reading from the ACC wire which powers the glove light and it doesn't show the 14+ charging voltage. It's also affected by brake or signal lights. :-/

Comment

Although that is a cool little voltmeter, it's not designed to survive in a nasty automotive electrical environment. So, I hope you aren't too upset if it fails on you. I doubt it would catch fire or something. Most likely it will just stop working.
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by blueapplesoda View Post
            Never thought about using those stupid audio balance things. Maybe you should put a amber gel coat and transparency over it, so it looks more OEM. Sweet.
            Yea. Soon I plan on taking it back out and putting in something between the display and panel (I was thinking a piece of a ginger ale bottle)

I was also not to happy with the finish so I plan on spraying it with satin black from a farther distance to try to match the surface. Thanks to (Forced_Firebird) for the tip.

Originally posted by evilnickwong View Post
            I see you are getting power/reading from the purple/white radio ACC wire. Does that give a reading of 14+V when the car is running?

I took my voltmeter reading from the ACC wire which powers the glove light and it doesn't show the 14+ charging voltage. It's also affected by brake or signal lights. :-/
            Yes It reads 14 volts when the car is running.

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            Although that is a cool little voltmeter, it's not designed to survive in a nasty automotive electrical environment. So, I hope you aren't too upset if it fails on you. I doubt it would catch fire or something. Most likely it will just stop working.
            I sort of assumed this. but thanks for the heads up. Ill be putting one of your narrow band gauges that will last a lifetime next to it very soon :)

Comment

Interesting...think I may do something similar seeing as how I've just replaced my battery and alternator. Good to keep an eye on things.
              91' 318is - OBDI M52/ZF swap w/ S50 cams

Comment

Originally posted by Atlant View Post
                Yes It reads 14 volts when the car is running.
                Whoops, just saw you replied.

Does it jump up and down when you use the signal lights? I would assume the ACC powering the radio is the same as the ACC powering the glove box light, or am I wrong here? Thanks. :)

Comment

great idea but i wish it was amber though
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                  ---------------------------------
                  89 E30 S52
                  Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                    It's $7.95 with numbers on it.

Comment

Yep - I know that - It just so happens that I work for the company that sells it - what's up? ;)
                      Last edited by george graves; 03-07-2012, 04:53 AM.

Comment

That's what inspired me to start doing more EE stuff read your blog thingy and decided that having Arduino sit unused for almost a year was a crime.

Comment

I made a digital volt meter.

Credit is goes to Atlant, I just tweaked his idea.
                          And George graves idea on the light output of the plastic.

-
                          Project
                          Parts for Sale
                          Feedback
                          YouTube Channel

Comment

awesome! now that's what I'm talking about.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                            89 E30 S52
                            Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Good job! Hope you at least added a fuse - I would be the least you can do to keep that thing safe encase it blows w/o any real input protection.

Comment

Working...
                              X