The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
    Great writeup! I have a few questions though if someone could help me out.

1. What are you guys lubing your o-rings with? I've heard Nylog or mineral oil works but some say not to use the PAG oil because it attracts moisture.

2. I ordered this conversion kit http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pn....FUI9gQodpGUPYQ

What are the 2 smaller rings and washer looking things for? Its a universal kit so maybe they aren't needed for the e30. I know I need the o rings and conversion fittings.

3. What is the best way to flush out the evaporator and lines? Thought about using brake cleaner or alcohol... not sure if that's a bad idea or not.

Thanks!

1. I didnt have to lube my rings at all. I feel like any kind of lubrication will attract moisture. I have not had any issues with not lubing them.

2. You probably wont use all the rings in the kit. I'm not sure why I had tons of rings left over, but I was happy about it because just in case I did not place an ring correctly and it happened to blow out, Id have an extra laying around. Its pretty obvious which rings go where, but I recommend that while you swap out the rings you compare the sizes of the new ones to the old ones by holding them next to each other. I had a couple of occasions where I thought I had the right size and realized I almost put on a size too big. So be critical about those steps.

3. I recommend using an r-12 flushing agent and some compressed air to run through the lines. I didnt have to do that with mine because my lines were exposed to open air for as long as Ive owned it before my conversion, so all I had to flush was the evaporator, which I just did with some compressed air in one line and holding a towel on the other line. Its effective enough I guess.

As another recommendation. I say just go for getting that new condenser. With r-134a not being as efficient as r-12 the system needs all the help it can get and upgrading to a modern flow condenser along with an aux fan upgrade will help out drastically. Plus those parts are pretty inexpensive. If the compressor winds up not working then you will probably have better luck finding a used one here on the forums for $100.
    I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by spike68 View Post
      1. I didnt have to lube my rings at all. I feel like any kind of lubrication will attract moisture. I have not had any issues with not lubing them.

2. You probably wont use all the rings in the kit. I'm not sure why I had tons of rings left over, but I was happy about it because just in case I did not place an ring correctly and it happened to blow out, Id have an extra laying around. Its pretty obvious which rings go where, but I recommend that while you swap out the rings you compare the sizes of the new ones to the old ones by holding them next to each other. I had a couple of occasions where I thought I had the right size and realized I almost put on a size too big. So be critical about those steps.

3. I recommend using an r-12 flushing agent and some compressed air to run through the lines. I didnt have to do that with mine because my lines were exposed to open air for as long as Ive owned it before my conversion, so all I had to flush was the evaporator, which I just did with some compressed air in one line and holding a towel on the other line. Its effective enough I guess.

As another recommendation. I say just go for getting that new condenser. With r-134a not being as efficient as r-12 the system needs all the help it can get and upgrading to a modern flow condenser along with an aux fan upgrade will help out drastically. Plus those parts are pretty inexpensive. If the compressor winds up not working then you will probably have better luck finding a used one here on the forums for $100.
      Awesome thanks!

I've acquired pretty much all the parts for the conversion including a brand new Nissens parallel flow condenser, aftermarket fan, expansion valve, pressure switch, and dryer. I'll probably order some a/c flush as well.

I'll show you what I'm not sure about in the kit. I really doubt these parts are used but I'll post up a pic. The parts circled in red I'm unsure about.
      '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
      '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Yeah of wouldn't worry about those. You won't need them for e30s. I believe I had the same ones in my oring kit and I didn't use them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought an assortment of green orings and that's all I needed.
          Also used oring grease to keep the seal/prevent corrosion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

OP, thanks for a great DIY. Especially grateful for the M42 specifics :)

I used PAG oil on all my seals, no ragrets. Even left the lines open from the expansion valve to the engine bay for a week or so and still pulled a great vacuum. We'll see how long that lasts, but it's been good for the last week.

An AC wiring question--(318is, stock compressor, replaced fan, condenser, seals, switch, expansion valve):
            Finished the DIY, charged it up with the system all together but the compressor didn't turn on. No voltage at the connector.
            Checked for voltage at the high pressure switch--inconsistent (like it cycled every 5-10 seconds, duration ~0.1 seconds).
            Checked for voltage out of the evaporator temperature regulator. No dice, nothing. Bought a new regulator, waited on the mail...installed new FAE regulator but still nothing. Jumped the regulator relay, and we got dice!

Of course, then I had voltage at the high pressure switch, but then the high pressure switch was open....before the compressor had even run. Huh. So I jumped the pressure switch leads and went on my road trip with moderately cool AC (didn't dial it in, just 'guessed' at 28oz).

So here are questions:
            Why would the evap temp regulator not give me voltage on a system that hadn't even been run yet (obviously a non-frozen evaporator)?
            Any ideas on why my brand new high pressure switch would be open on a normal-pressure system? Not really dying to replace it, bought it months ago in prep for the project and don't want to open the system if I can avoid it.

Obviously not excited to run the system without a high pressure switch or evap temp reg but...I'm not too worried about it.

Once I get these issues taken care of, it'll be efficiency time (likely starting with the compressor).

Thanks for helping guys!

Comment

I've got something similar going on. Previous owner disconnected the pressure switch and jumpered the plug to power the compressor.

I believe on my 91' 318is I'm working with the original compressor/condenser but converted fittings/o-rings. My question is which pressure switch do I need? OP makes it seem like some special high pressure switch is needed, but wouldn't this only apply for cars with higher pressure compressor?

There is a pretty good price difference between the 2 switches so I'm wondering what the deal with this is.
              1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Great write up.
                Have to read all the details.

I have an 325is / S50 swapped with A/C.
                I did not do any of the work that is within the hood.
                I am not sure what I exactly have for the consider or the compressor.

I would like to replace the fan on the front so that I can slip a oil cooler in there.
                Suggestions on fan? or other pics on where to place oil cooler.
                I have reg non elec fan still in there and stock ... much like this

Thinking "thinner" fan and then push oil cooler
                below as much as I can.

I would like to handle some of the mounting myself and then let my shop do the rest with the Euro filter I bought.
                1987 BMW 325is,(M3 S50 Swapped)-Current
                2010 FJ Cruiser, aka E30 Support Vehicle-(Daily)
                2008 Scion xB Lowered
                2001 BMW 325i
                1995 BMW 318ti
                1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
                1965 Ford Mustang Coupe

My Thread

Comment

looking for a new compressor (charged my system up and the compressor started smoking)....instead of shelling out the $200+ for the new denso unit - 318is - is anything preventing me from buying this and just slapping my old top plate on?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/d...7344/3896625-P - reman

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/t...358/10053434-P - new

on rockauto it lists the 4 seasons compressor as a 10pa17c compressor - which the links go to, it appears it just doesnt have the top plate - I have my existing one. Advance has a killer 30% coupon which would bring it down to $134, much more reasonable.
                  1991 318is ---230K - DD
                  1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                  so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

I'm not sure what you're referring to as the top place. Do you mean the manifold?

Comment

The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Just buy an oring kit for the compressor

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
                      I've got something similar going on. Previous owner disconnected the pressure switch and jumpered the plug to power the compressor.

I believe on my 91' 318is I'm working with the original compressor/condenser but converted fittings/o-rings. My question is which pressure switch do I need? OP makes it seem like some special high pressure switch is needed, but wouldn't this only apply for cars with higher pressure compressor?

There is a pretty good price difference between the 2 switches so I'm wondering what the deal with this is.

You only really need the high pressure switch for safety, you can jumper the low pressure switch, but don't run the compressor without refrigerant.

However with the 134a drier the r12 switches won't fit. The newer style is both high and low pressure in one switch and is only needed if you replace the drier. I got one from an e36 at PnP. If you're running the r12 drier, you should at least wire the high pressure switch back. While you're at it just do both, the low pressure switch protects your compressor in case all the 134a leaks out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by pandaboo911; 08-17-2016, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Anyone have a link/URL for a parallel flow condenser that isn't from Amazon? That link says the part's currently unavailable (with an "unknown" time for restock), so if anyone has a link to another seller of a known good parallel flow condenser, please post it up. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RampageRR View Post
                          Anyone have a link/URL for a parallel flow condenser that isn't from Amazon?

I'm not sure I understand why you dont want it from Amazon. Thats where I got mine. Here is the link anyway

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

I'm not sure I understand why you dont want it from Amazon. Thats where I got mine. Here is the link anyway

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                            It's not that I don't want to order from Amazon - actually quite the opposite, but as you can see here it's unavailable for an undetermined amount of time.

I just ordered one from Ebay that looks like it should work. It's a Spectra 7-3464. From the picture shown on their listing, it looks to be a parallel flow style that looks almost exactly like the one on Amazon. I'll update this thread and let everyone know how it works out. If the other one is discontinued, then this might be a new option.

Comment

Oh man. Thats my bad. I didnt even notice that it's not being offered anymore. Good luck with that other one. Hopefully it works.

Comment

Oh man. Thats my bad. I didnt even notice that it's not being offered anymore. Good luck with that other one. Hopefully it works.
                                No worries, I don't think this happened until very recently. I'm almost positive they were available a month or so ago when I first started looking. Hopefully this one works just as well - it does have a very similar part number, so I'm hoping it's the same one sold under a different brand name.

Comment

Working...
                                X