Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
    my A/C lines are sort of rusty inside, any tips on how to flush them out?
    I would really recommend new lines. You're kinda rolling the dice, as it doesn't take much to clog the expansion valve. There are a lot of people on here that dump their A/C system because racecar, so you should be able to score good lines for a nominal price.

    I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, but I think it's the best approach.
    sigpic

    Comment


      #17
      Perfect timing! Thanks!

      Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

      Comment


        #18
        what are the benefits of this???
        sorry if i didn't read it ahha

        Comment


          #19
          Subbed, as this is something im gonna tackle in the next 2 months

          One question I didn't see answered, but how long did the job take? And did you go to an AC shop to vacuum out the old R12?


          ---
          I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qg2tal
          Needs: Working window regulators for my E30 sedan;)

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Pantless Spency View Post
            what are the benefits of this???
            sorry if i didn't read it ahha
            R-12 refrigerant is strictly regulated by the EPA in the US because of its effects on the environment.

            Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

            Comment


              #21
              Yeah VERY strictly.
              http://www.ebay.com/sch/Parts-Access...erant&_vxp=mtr

              Comment


                #22
                As previously stated, very nice write up.

                I will point out though that you missed a very important step in the conversion- you didn't flush the system. True, if you're replacing the evap. and condenser and even some of the lines you've removed most of the old oil from the system, but it's still a good idea. There is a product I use called Rx11 that works well in combination with pressurized nitrogen.

                Also, why spend the time and money to convert to 134a when there are still perfectly good r12 drop-ins that are safe to use and readily available?

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by usingthejohn View Post
                  Subbed, as this is something im gonna tackle in the next 2 months

                  One question I didn't see answered, but how long did the job take? And did you go to an AC shop to vacuum out the old R12?

                  It took about 4 or 5 hours taking pictures along the way. My system had leaked out before I started, so I didn't have to get it vacuumed out.





                  Originally posted by Ryann View Post
                  As previously stated, very nice write up.

                  I will point out though that you missed a very important step in the conversion- you didn't flush the system. True, if you're replacing the evap. and condenser and even some of the lines you've removed most of the old oil from the system, but it's still a good idea. There is a product I use called Rx11 that works well in combination with pressurized nitrogen.

                  Also, why spend the time and money to convert to 134a when there are still perfectly good r12 drop-ins that are safe to use and readily available?
                  Given I wasn't flushing with an actual cleaner, but compressed air does a pretty good job. My E30 that you're seeing in this write up already had a BMW R-134a conversion done to it in 1998 if the expansion valve is anything to go by. I was more worried about getting the old oil and dye out more than anything. I will make a note in the DIY to take a look at flushing chemicals.


                  For me I see no reason to stay with R-12. I'm getting the same if not better temps out of my system than if it was still a R-12 system. The cost of R-12 is ridiculous per oz as compared to R-134a. Plus you have to find a shop that's willing to mess with it and at the end of the day you still have a refrigerant that one day you will not be able to find easily.


                  Originally posted by Pantless Spency View Post
                  what are the benefits of this???
                  sorry if i didn't read it ahha

                  The main reason I made this DIY is that people bitch and moan that the R-134a conversion in their E30s isn't up to par with their R-12 systems.

                  The biggest problem is people think if they slap on the updated fittings they're good to go, but that doesn't do anything if your o-rings are bad, wrong pressure switch, wrong charge pressures, etc. People blame their unstellar AC performance on the conversion, not their own lack of research. If you don't have the right equipment for the task, how can you complain if the end result isn't what it's suppose to be? ;)

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
                    For me I see no reason to stay with R-12. I'm getting the same if not better temps out of my system than if it was still a R-12 system. The cost of R-12 is ridiculous per oz as compared to R-134a. Plus you have to find a shop that's willing to mess with it and at the end of the day you still have a refrigerant that one day you will not be able to find easily.
                    I hear you, however it is easier and much less expensive to substitute r414b for r12 than to replace your evaporator, condenser, TXV, o-rings, and compressor oil though.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      FWIW, I used the typical R12 to R134a retrofit kit they sell at your local vatozone, and it's been working great for a while. I had the R12 vacuumed out and then I filled it up with 2 1/2 bottle of R134a using the provided adapter and hose. Much simpler; and has been working great with no ill effects.

                      However; this is an excellent write up.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by nokincy View Post
                        FWIW, I used the typical R12 to R134a retrofit kit they sell at your local vatozone, and it's been working great for a while. I had the R12 vacuumed out and then I filled it up with 2 1/2 bottle of R134a using the provided adapter and hose. Much simpler; and has been working great with no ill effects.

                        However; this is an excellent write up.

                        Did you at least change the compressor oil? If not, enjoy it while it lasts. Mineral oil doesn't mix well with PAG oil.




                        Originally posted by Ryann View Post
                        I hear you, however it is easier and much less expensive to substitute r414b for r12 than to replace your evaporator, condenser, TXV, o-rings, and compressor oil though.
                        Still defeats my purpose of being able to pull up to any AC shop and say I need my system recharged. For $300 I have new components that I won't have to worry about many years down the road instead of keeping 20+ year old components going with a specialty refrigerant.

                        If you want to mess around with other refrigerants, the more power to you, but I'm not going to argue advantages and disadvantages of other refrigerants. There's plenty of AC forums for that.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Im a little confused about installing the new aux fan. Is it wired the same as the old. To turn on and off when needed like traffic? The one in my car now runs on high when the key is on... I havent really looked into why?

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Yes it's wired up the same. It sounds like your fan switch has been bypassed to me.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Thanks a lot for this, now all i need its a saturday off!
                              no more boosted m20, 91 318i...

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Great write up jt. U a pretty fart smeller

                                Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X