Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Fan curiosities

    So I am going to be performing this conversion soon before the weather gets unbearably hot here in Florida but I was curious about the fan. Is the stock fan not sufficient to cool the R134a? If so, is it the speed of the fan or the size of the fan that is lacking? Has anyone tried using just the stock fan? How much improvement in temperature do you see with an aftermarket fan? Just wondering how necessary it is to get another fan. If it is a large difference I will definitely do it. Thanks everybody!

    Comment


      Originally posted by Bimmerfan84 View Post
      So I am going to be performing this conversion soon before the weather gets unbearably hot here in Florida but I was curious about the fan. Is the stock fan not sufficient to cool the R134a? If so, is it the speed of the fan or the size of the fan that is lacking? Has anyone tried using just the stock fan? How much improvement in temperature do you see with an aftermarket fan? Just wondering how necessary it is to get another fan. If it is a large difference I will definitely do it. Thanks everybody!
      I do not have personal experience (yet), but have been told by several people who've done the conversion that (1) the stock fan is fine and (2) the most performance gain comes from a PF condenser.

      A PO did the usual suck out R12/pump in R134a conversion on my Touring. The system worked great for a year after I got the car, until the o-rings started to fail and then the compressor seals failed. I'll be replacing the compressor, o-rings and condenser this summer, but keeping the stock fan. Hoping for good performance without replacing the fan, expansion valve and evaporator. We'll see.

      Cory
      1992 325i 'vert
      1988 320i Touring
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      2001 325i - R.I.P.
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

      Comment


        i just jump the stock fan to high as it will help. On my cabrio I went with a SPAL cause it makes less noise and we'll...it's new :)
        Deck Lid and soft top Shocks on hand

        Seat shocks on hand for immediate shipment
        https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

        Comment


          Originally posted by cory58 View Post
          I do not have personal experience (yet), but have been told by several people who've done the conversion that (1) the stock fan is fine and (2) the most performance gain comes from a PF condenser
          That's good I got a PF condenser, evaporator, compressor, switch, dryer, and expansion valve. Just deciding whether I should get a fan or not. Thanks for the info!

          Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
          i just jump the stock fan to high as it will help. On my cabrio I went with a SPAL cause it makes less noise and we'll...it's new :)
          How is it blowing in your vert (I assume this is the one you converted)? I have a 318iC and wondering on the performance I will get in the hot summers down here.

          Comment


            sub'd

            Comment


              Originally posted by Bimmerfan84 View Post
              That's good I got a PF condenser, evaporator, compressor, switch, dryer, and expansion valve. Just deciding whether I should get a fan or not. Thanks for the info!



              How is it blowing in your vert (I assume this is the one you converted)? I have a 318iC and wondering on the performance I will get in the hot summers down here.
              I swapped out the entire system so can't tell you whether any one component made more difference than another. When the system is in spec it blows cold enough that on a 95 degree summer day I have to dial it down...in a cabrio with a black roof
              Deck Lid and soft top Shocks on hand

              Seat shocks on hand for immediate shipment
              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

              Comment


                Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                I'm just stating a fact, but....I will look in to making these when we get back from Canada since there is clearly a need.
                I read in your Project Thread that the brackets are no longer being mad. Any update on you making these brackets?
                IG: Dhithim
                2015 Subaru BRZ 380whp
                My '87 Project
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=382462

                Comment


                  Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                  i just jump the stock fan to high as it will help. On my cabrio I went with a SPAL cause it makes less noise and we'll...it's new :)
                  Which model and size SPAL fan did you get? If I have to take it out anyway might as well upgrade.

                  Comment


                    What has everyone been using to seal the area where the hoses go thru the cover at the expansion valve? I think I have assembled are the parts to rebuild my AC but that's one area I can't seem to figure out what to use?
                    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

                    Comment


                      I bought a roll of 2" insulating foam tape from an AC supply house.
                      Deck Lid and soft top Shocks on hand

                      Seat shocks on hand for immediate shipment
                      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                      Alice the Time Capsule
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

                      Comment


                        does anyone have updated part numbers for barrier hoses for the m42 setup?

                        I checked realoem, and used a 1992 318i after March (when they were upgraded to barrier hoses, but the part #'s aren't making sense to me)

                        My compressor does not have threaded fittings on the actual hose ends, this is what the end looks like:



                        however when I go to pelican parts or look up the late late cabrios, the part number for that hose indicates a threaded end fitting



                        In regards to custom made lines, I was quoted $325 for the (3) lines that require the barrier hose (the two going to the evaporator already area barrier)...Compressor --> Condenser, Condenser --> Dryer, Compressor --> Evaporator (the line pictured).

                        Is it possible to swap the top manifold 'plate' on my 10PA17 compressor to accept the threaded fittings and use lines that are more easily found and cost significantly less to have custom made?
                        1991 318is ---230K - DD
                        1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

                        Originally posted by RickSloan
                        so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                          Let me add to the long list of people appreciating you taking the time to put this together. I finally got to the point of charging my system. I haven't had the chance to drive it on the highway but locally it seems about 90% there. I used two cans (total 24 oz) of R134. Suction side was a little higher than I thought it should be (60 lbs) and the high side a little lower (220 lbs). I'll pick up a thermometer on the way home from work and see what the temperature is at the vents. I expected it to feel a bit colder. More to come...
                          2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

                          Comment


                            OK I posted this in General Technical and it got no traction, so sorry for double posting. Hopefully someone watching this thread will know the answer!

                            I'm in the process of converting my AC from r12 to r134a and the first step is swapping the old AC compressor. I originally had the Behr/Bosch compressor and bought the appropriate rebuilt r134a 4 Seasons compressor from Pelican Parts. I took the old one off the other night and bolted the new one on (everything seems to fit perfectly). But the old compressor has a single wire coming out of it, and the new one has that same wire and then two additional wires coming out of a different spot on it.

                            Does anyone know a) what these additional wires might be and b) if I need to hook them up to something in order for this compressor to run? I can take a picture of these wires if it would help.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by deeclue View Post
                              OK I posted this in General Technical and it got no traction, so sorry for double posting. Hopefully someone watching this thread will know the answer!

                              I'm in the process of converting my AC from r12 to r134a and the first step is swapping the old AC compressor. I originally had the Behr/Bosch compressor and bought the appropriate rebuilt r134a 4 Seasons compressor from Pelican Parts. I took the old one off the other night and bolted the new one on (everything seems to fit perfectly). But the old compressor has a single wire coming out of it, and the new one has that same wire and then two additional wires coming out of a different spot on it.

                              Does anyone know a) what these additional wires might be and b) if I need to hook them up to something in order for this compressor to run? I can take a picture of these wires if it would help.
                              Take a look at the attachments in this post:
                              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...42398&t=342398
                              What you may be seeing is the high pressure cut off which is no longer used. I see Pelican couldn't help you but have you reached out to 4 Seasons? Shipping on that heavy part will be pricey.
                              2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by tomstin View Post
                                Take a look at the attachments in this post:
                                https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...42398&t=342398
                                What you may be seeing is the high pressure cut off which is no longer used. I see Pelican couldn't help you but have you reached out to 4 Seasons? Shipping on that heavy part will be pricey.
                                Thanks for the response. Yeah I'll definitely consult that post! Yeah at this point, since the new compressor is already bolted onto the car, I think I'm just going to move forward with the conversion and see what happens if I only use the one wire (and leave the other two unconnected). My system worked before with a single wire setup, so perhaps it will still work if I bypass whatever that separate sensor is. I figure worst case scenario, once its all hooked up if its not running I can take it to a shop and have them troubleshoot it. At least that way I'm not paying for labor to get all this new stuff installed.

                                All that being said, if anyone does end up knowing what that sensor is and the proper way to handle it, I would be very grateful.

                                Oh and as for contacting 4 Seasons, I was unable to find any helpful contact info for them. They don't seem like a company thats going to have a very useful customer support department. They make/refurbish like a million different products.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X