No announcement yet.

The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The $500 compressor are typically rebuilt OE units which are still r12 units. I don't see the point when you can get one designed for r134 for a fraction of the price..assuming you can mount it. FYI virtually ALL e30 compressors came with seals that were r134 compatible. I have a service bulletin somewhere spelling them out and it's probably posted earlier in this thread. Point being the seals are not the main issue but rather the pressure rating. Beyond that you need a new expansion valve and should upgrade the hoses since they will leak more and more over time.

I'd jump the resistor and everything else is optional
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Regarding the LC Wylie bracket conversion, don't forget that you also have to modify the lines to/from the compressor.

I had Discount Auto AC in Daytona, FL, rebuild the compressor from my Touring. Great result. Great customer service. The cost was about $250, so if you have a rebuildable core and don't want the hassle of upgrading to a modern compressor, that's much cheaper than the options others have posted.

Cory
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

Quick little update: I checked again and asked ECS Tuning what was up with the two condensers - also noticed that one of them went from ~$100 to ~$175! Sounds like Nissens may have updated/superceded a design with a new one, or something weird like that. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them gets listed as discontinued in the near future and it's back to just a single Nissens parallel flow option for the e30.

Anyways, bought the condenser and associated mounting hardware. Also ordered the LC Wylie bracket. Next step for me will be figuring out how to fit an IC and aux fan somewhere in there.

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
          Regarding the LC Wylie bracket conversion, don't forget that you also have to modify the lines to/from the compressor.
          Cory
          Re: the LC Wylie conversion..... went a different route... made a tie-in piece for the suction side and the factory hose fits without modification on the discharge.

The A/C belt from the M30 engine'd 5 series fits this conversion perfectly.

Seeing 53 degree temps at the vents while doing highway speeds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220503_075029.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	10054954
          Last edited by uturn; 05-05-2022, 06:01 PM. Reason: More info added.

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post

Re: the LC Wylie conversion..... went a different route... made a tie-in piece for the suction side and the factory hose fits without modification on the discharge.

The A/C belt from the M30 engine'd 5 series fits this conversion perfectly.

Seeing 53 degree temps at the vents while doing highway speeds.

Great info and nice hack on the suction hose! So much cleaner installation without oil cooler lines in the way. I'm still addressing that on my '92 cabrio conversion and will post a final summary when everything's put back together and pumping cold air.
            1992 325i Cabrio
            1988 320i Touring
            2000 M5
            1977 530i
            2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
            BMWCCA
            E30CCA

Comment

Working...
            X