How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great writeup!

One quick note: I wouldn't recommend taking the tierods out the way you guys did it if you are going to reuse them. You can very easily mushroom the stud by hammering on it like that. A better method is to whack the splindle where the stud goes through or, the best method, to use a tie rod puller.
    '91 318is
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brew
      Great writeup!

One quick note: I wouldn't recommend taking the tierods out the way you guys did it if you are going to reuse them. You can very easily mushroom the stud by hammering on it like that. A better method is to whack the splindle where the stud goes through or, the best method, to use a tie rod puller.
      A tie rod puller or ball joint forks would be idea but we actually used a block of wood and a hammer so I need to edit that. If using a block of wood or a rubber mallet you should be fine. But you're right.. You should not hit the tie rod ends directly with a hammer.

Comment

I've never had trouble replacing a rack by holding the motor with a jack. You can bend your subframe all you want, but I rather not.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

You didn't include beer on the price list.

It's incomplete! :P

Thanks for the writeup! I was thinking about doing this over the summer! I'll most likely be doin the Z3 rack. :)
          - Sean Hayes

Comment

I dropped the subframe when I did my control arms and used my extra jack to hold the engine in place - it worked like a charm.
            Current Cars
            2014 M235i
            2009 R56 Cooper S
            1998 M3
            1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN
              I dropped the subframe when I did my control arms and used my extra jack to hold the engine in place - it worked like a charm.
              I did it the same way on the second E30 I did CA's on. Just pulled out the whole subframe with CA's and rack still attached. Only way to fly now :D

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Hell.. I had no problem replacing the CA's with the subframe right where it is.

I just find that I can get the job done easier and safer not holding the engine up with a jack. I've been in situations where that's been trying and at one point it was almost disasterous when my roomate accidentally tripped on the rack while two people were under the car.

After that I only suggest holding the engine up with a hoist or cherry picker

Comment

Why would you do that? Did you guys have trouble getting the inner ball joint nut off? I just hit it with the 1/2" impact from up top with a long extension.
                  '91 318is
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brew
                    Why would you do that? Did you guys have trouble getting the inner ball joint nut off? I just hit it with the 1/2" impact from up top with a long extension.
                    Yes. While an extension was feasible on the driver side, on the passenger side it was not. (Though there is actually a lot more clearance working from below over there).
                    Current Cars
                    2014 M235i
                    2009 R56 Cooper S
                    1998 M3
                    1997 M3

Comment

Yes. While an extension was feasible on the driver side, on the passenger side it was not. (Though there is actually a lot more clearance working from below over there).
                      Swivel impact sockets are your friends, albeit expensive ones.
                      '91 318is
                      sigpic

Comment

I just wedged a ball joint seperator between the subframe and the CA ball joint, tapped it with a hammer and it fell right out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid
                          I just wedged a ball joint seperator between the subframe and the CA ball joint, tapped it with a hammer and it fell right out.
                          Well, my problem was that 16 years of corrosions and gunk made it impossible to get the nut all the way off. I was able to break it loose with the stubby 22mm, but in only got so far. The lower side came out of the subframe pretty easily - with a pickle fork - but I had to drop the subframe so I could cut the top of it off with my grinder.
                          Current Cars
                          2014 M235i
                          2009 R56 Cooper S
                          1998 M3
                          1997 M3

Comment

Droppint the subframe is still faster especially if you are doing the steering rack at the same time. Them impact swivel joints are god's gift to earth, best $20 I ever spent (bought a lifetime warranty unit).

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Good writeup... but I wouldnt trust those high pressure lines with hose clamps.
                              Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

Originally posted by equate975
                                Good writeup... but I wouldnt trust those high pressure lines with hose clamps.
                                There is no high pressure hose lines with hose clamps on an E30. Only the low pressure lines have hose clamps.

Comment

Working...
                                X