Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rturbo 930
    replied
    Thanks for the info. Just to be clear, I already have a Z3 rack, but I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with it, or if it's just not what I expected it to be. Sometimes it seems lighter but with good response and feel (which is what I expected), but most of the time it feels heavier than I would expect for a power assisted rack - like something isn't right. It's pretty easy to turn on center, and then quickly becomes fairly heavy. Personally I think the transition between light and heavy makes it feel kind of sketchy. I've got 9 degrees of caster, so I'm thinking this has something to do with it. I don't find it sketchy at all on the highway, mostly it seems to want to go straight, but I have 1/8" toe in. I've considered that maybe my pump is bad and is giving inconsistent pressure/flow, but I'm not really sure about that.

Also worth mentioning, when I first got my car, stock save for M3 CABs, the steering was really light, and became somewhat heavy (with stock rack) when I lowered it.

I don't have another E30 to compare to, except my own with the stock rack. I'm debating swapping this one out for a 330i rack since they're pretty cheap, just to see what it does.

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
    So, for those of you who have Z3 racks, what's your steering feel like? Heavy? Light? Somewhere in the middle? How is it on center vs when turning?
    Ive driven an e36m3 with a z3 rack and a 330mm wheel and its certainly far more responsive on center. I havent driven it past 80 for extended periods of time but the owner says it isnt too bad for highway driving. Its heavy for sure but not too bad in parking lots and stuff.

Compared to my e30 with an e36m3 rack and a 350mm wheel

Leave a comment:

• rturbo 930
    replied
    So, for those of you who have Z3 racks, what's your steering feel like? Heavy? Light? Somewhere in the middle? How is it on center vs when turning?

Leave a comment:

• redearedslider5
    replied
    are the photos from the first post available anywhere?

Leave a comment:

• redearedslider5
    replied
    thank you!

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Originally posted by redearedslider5 View Post
    I have a 1986 euro market 318i with no airbag left hand drive and an s50 swap. I've read through the first 35 pages and there's a few references to the euro steering knuckle being incompatible with the z3 rack, can anyone verify this?

If this is the case, can the knuckle in this kit be used?

Thanks!

Euro knuckles are plug and play with the rack swap. Just space out the subframe.

Leave a comment:

• redearedslider5
    replied
    I have a 1986 euro market 318i with no airbag left hand drive and an s50 swap. I've read through the first 35 pages and there's a few references to the euro steering knuckle being incompatible with the z3 rack, can anyone verify this?

If this is the case, can the knuckle in this kit be used?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Powling
    replied
    FYI - Garagistic has 50% off their e30 steering rack spacer kits right now.

Leave a comment:

• piwko98
    replied
    Originally posted by Haystack View Post
    For me? I had to do the rack on my 85...

Subframe Reinforcement
    Steering Guibo (you'll have to do that anyway)
    Motor Mounts
    Control Arms
    Sway Bars and bushings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goood call, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Haystack
    replied
    Originally posted by piwko98 View Post
    What else would you recommend to replace while doing this work? Control arms? Tie rods? Sway bars? Anything else?

For me? I had to do the rack on my 85...

Subframe Reinforcement
    Steering Guibo (you'll have to do that anyway)
    Motor Mounts
    Control Arms
    Sway Bars and bushings

Leave a comment:

• piwko98
    replied
    Looking to do the swap on non air bag convertible. From what I have read on the different models z3 is the closest to a bolt on you can go with. I was thinking of grabbing the kit from garagistic, which should give me the bolts and spacers but it looks like I will also need the below:

7/16 Bolt 2 Inches Long - - xxxxxxxxxxxx - - - - -x2 - - -$???
    Bolt M10x50 - - - - - - - - - 26111226737 - - - - x2 - - -$2.70
    Self Locking Nuts - - - - - - 07129964672 - - - - x2 - - -$0.60
    Copper Seals 14x20 - - - - -32411093596 - - - - -x4 - - -$0.68
    Copper Seals 16x22 - - - - -32411093597 - - - - -x4 - - -$1.04
    Self Locking Nuts - - - - - - 07129922716 - - - - -x4 - - $1.20
    Power Steering Res. - - - - -32411097164 - - - - x1 - - -$19.50
    High Pres. PS Hose - - - - - 32411141953 - - - - -x1 - - -$74.00
    Spacer - - - - - - - - - - - -72118119268 - - - - -x1 - - -$2.05
    Spacer - - - - - - - - - - - -72111847480 - - - - -x2 - - -$1.92
    Nut - - - - - - - - - - - - - -72111977925 - - - - -x2 - - -$1.10
    LP PS Return Hoses - - - - - xxxxxxxxxxx - - - - - x2 - - -$14.50
    Bottle of ATF - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -x1 - - -$2.50

Which part numbers does the kit eliminate (https://store.garagistic.com/bmw-per...n-z3-e36-e46)? What else would you recommend to replace while doing this work? Control arms? Tie rods? Sway bars? Anything else?

Leave a comment:

• Powling
    replied
    Originally posted by z28 View Post
    If thats how your stock one was then I would leave it like that, now I feel like checking mine...haha.
    Now that I checked the steps on page one it looks like he installed the rack on the inner holes not the outer ones

Leave a comment:

• z28
    replied
    Originally posted by Powling View Post
    Assuming that I was suppose to use the inner mounting holes not the outer ones? To be honest, I just mounted it in the same holes the stock rack was installed on.
    If thats how your stock one was then I would leave it like that, now I feel like checking mine...haha.

Leave a comment:

• jeffnhiscars
    replied
    Not sure about the m42 but i bought bulk hose to replace my LPs

Leave a comment:

• Mohit
    replied
    I have a e36 rack from rackdoctor ready to go in my 1991 318is m42 (airbag) but I am still unsure which high pressure and low pressure power steering hoses/lines to order. I want to get all new parts, since mine are leaking. I've read most people just reusing their low pressure hoses, but if you were to buy new LP hoses, are these the correct parts?

Also, this e36 HP hose or an e30 one?
    Last edited by Mohit; 04-28-2017, 06:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X