No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just used the stock e30 one. You won't be taking that part off anyways. Someone was making solid ones, but honestly, the stock guibo is rock hard and very inflexable. I suspect it's there more for noise isolation than vibration. I'd recommend leaving it.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by bubbajan21 View Post
      So, did you get it in? If so, what are your impressions of it?
      Hopefully will get it done today. Was waiting for E36 tie rod ends. I need to buy the spacers for the rack too. Couldn't find the ones mentioned in the OP.
      JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudbase View Post
        Hopefully will get it done today. Was waiting for E36 tie rod ends. I need to buy the spacers for the rack too. Couldn't find the ones mentioned in the OP.
        Cool. I ordered a Z3 rack and it should be going in next week. I ordered aluminum spacers from e30tech for $20 shipped.

Comment

I didn't get to it. Spent the day putting my rear end together. Hopefully will get it done before work tomorrow.

I emailed the guy on E30tech about picking up a set of spacers weeks ago, he never emailed me back. Just like my membership was denied after 6 months because my email is banned, which is odd because I've never been a member of E30tech in my life. WTF??
          JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

I tried to create an E30Tech account 3 months ago, but my email is banned too (because it is gmail), so I went and created an email through comcast, and I joined. It's been 3 months since I joined and I still can't post to any threads.

Comment

^ So ridiculous!

Got the rack in today, but ran out of time before I could remount my CA's and button it all back up. I spent over 2 hours bending the high pressure power steering line. It looked like spagetti when it was all done.

Why does the DIY not use the original E30 line? I didn't try fitting the old one because it had massive seepage. I'm sure I'm missing the obvious, but the line I ordered was a horrible fit.
              JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

^ So ridiculous!

Got the rack in today, but ran out of time before I could remount my CA's and button it all back up. I spent over 2 hours bending the high pressure power steering line. It looked like spagetti when it was all done.

Why does the DIY not use the original E30 line? I didn't try fitting the old one because it had massive seepage. I'm sure I'm missing the obvious, but the line I ordered was a horrible fit.
                That was actually covered a few pages back. You can use either line we found its just a little easier to bend the stock line.

Comment

Huh, I can see that. Much easier to bend then the old one and more area to bend too.
                  JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

How do you late model guys address the fire wall column grommet?

I've ground ~3/16" clearance for the column rod - and now the grommet fits terrible with about a 1/4 gap around the top area..(?)
                    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

I had the same problem the steering colum was rubbing with the gromet on and was very close with the gromet off. I just said fuck it its a hot rod and cut a bigger hole out of the fire wall. I was hoping it wasnt just me.
                      1991 e30 328i M52 swapped: Gone
                      1995 e34 540i/6 1 of 76 Clean
                      1985 e28 euro 525i the daily

Comment

Thanks. So order E36 ends not Z3 ends? Just so it's crystal...
                        For those who buy Z3 racks with the inner tie rods and boots attached (long rack). It seems you can use e36 outers and not have to spring for the entire tie rod assembly (which includes the inners and outers).

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S
                          How do you late model guys address the fire wall column grommet?

I've ground ~3/16" clearance for the column rod - and now the grommet fits terrible with about a 1/4 gap around the top area..(?)
                          Preface: late model/air bag car – firewall grommet

A) I said I had 3/16” clearance when I actually had more like 1/16” clearance on bottom side of the steering column. I went in there and gave it true ~3/16” clearance.

B) After grinding on firewall is done, take a small piece of ~60-100 grit sandpaper and take off any grinding burrs. Any ‘grinding flanges’ left on hole will prevent slot in grommet from fitting well in hole.

C) Found it better to first insert column grommet by itself – rather than putting column into firewall hole with grommet already on it. From below car, I could put my finger ‘inside’ the grommet to get it positioned into hole.

D) I just pumped RTV sealer into grommet gaps.

Aside from AKG spacers and firewall clearance grinding – the e36 rack was a bolt-in affair.

-----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

^good post.
                            Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I've finally got my car on the road. I took apart my front suspension after the initial install and put my washers on the bottom of the drop hats - IDOT! So my steering was a little off after my alignment. With it fixed I am really impressed with the rack. This is just a hunch, but with 17's my steering was really numb before. Any dartiness of the Z3 rack is easily undone by my wheels.
                              JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

after reading from page 1 to 32 I still have one question about z3s steering racks....

I'm looking to get one and a friend of mine said to make sure it's the linear one? what's the other option and I'm assuming any z3 that's not an m has the 2.7 lock to lock right? Thanks in advance! this thread is soooo helpful.

one more question Cloudbase:

so the z3 rack does NOT fit the e30 tie rods correct? BUT you CAN order just the e36 outers and that will fit? thanks again!
                                Last edited by Heysüß; 05-16-2011, 11:31 AM.
                                09/1989 325i 4 Door
                                +M30 Swap
                                +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

Working...
                                X