Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using e46 racks now?
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Lepage View Post
      I did the same setup than chrisnxl185.

You think I can do the same with my steering knuckle?

How much does the steering knuckle have to be shortened?

Nürburgring info

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
        Anyone using e46 racks now?
        Yep! Easy peasy

Comment

Dang. Did this last weekend, and this would have been really helpful to see BEFORE I did the swap! Next time I'll use a screwdriver to open up the splines on the universal joint before trying to fit it on the rack. I just ended up hammering on it for an hour or so and it finally worked its way on. Got the old rack out by supporting the engine from above, and lowering the subframe out a bit.

Alpine II 318is

Comment

The E46 rack to get is the 330 zhp rack. 13.7:1 ratio, 2.6 turns lock to lock, HOWEVER I have been unable to find if it is linear or progressive.

Comment

How is this job (difficulty and time) if you're doing a straight swap for the e30 rebuilt from Maval, here: blunttech

Thanks!
              92 325ic 5 speed, hard top, windscreen, 133k, for sale
              sigpic

Comment

would this be the one?

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
                The E46 rack to get is the 330 zhp rack. 13.7:1 ratio, 2.6 turns lock to lock, HOWEVER I have been unable to find if it is linear or progressive.

Comment

^^^Should be. Call them, they are VERY knowledgeable, especially with BMW rack swaps, and as they state, they want you to call anyway as you will not be giving them the correct core.

Here's some great info from the owner of Rack Doctor

I just installed a Z3 rack (13.9:1 ratio, 2.7 lock to lock, linear) and while I feel it is a great upgrade, I think the torsion bar is quite different also compared to the standard E36 rack that I had in my E30. It is quite a bit stiffer, giving more road feel, but would IMO be tiring if doing endurace, or even sprint racing. Take what I have as coming from an "internet armchair engineer." I found this stuff on the interwebs, but can not as a matter of fact with my own measured specs say this is absolute truth here, because I myself have not disassembled the racks to confirm this info.

Here's more info on PS in general, and some great info on the torsion bars in power steering.

I know some others from even newer BMWs will swap in as well...but I don't remember what I have read about that. For example IIRC, the Z4MC rack is 12.x:1 ratio...but as many have said, Lock to lock and ratio don't tell the whole story of how it feels, because you are changing the mechanical advantage, maybe the rack is progressive, and the torsion bars may be different.
                  Last edited by R3Z3N; 11-29-2012, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Anyone know the torque spec for the M10X50 bolts that pass through the rack for the crossmember?

MY BUILD THREAD
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=235231

INSTAGRAM : @luchcolaneri

Comment

few questions:
                      the car in questions is a 1989 325I no airbag standard m20b25 motor
                      planning on installing a regular e36 96-99 steering rack.
                      I have started to modified a spare knuckle with extra clearance on the knuckle closest to the firewall, and I have drilled out the rivets and added a Ireland engineering poly guibo steering knuckle bushing.
                      currently trying to decide on what bolts and spacers to get to attach the lower part.

1)
                      My car is lowered on coilovers and i would like to know if its possible to place the steering rack spacers on the bottom
                      of the rack to assist in having less bump steer.
                      Is there enough room underneath the m20 oil pan to accomplish this?

2)
                      Should i place the rack on the inner holes or the outer holes on the subframe
                      3)
                      For an autocross/track/daily driver car what toe adjustments should i request at the alignment shop
                      4)
                      Is the stock e30 rack linear or progressive?

-
                      Project
                      Parts for Sale
                      Feedback
                      YouTube Channel

Comment

1) Take a look here as this is the only info I have on bump steer with the racks and draw your own conclusion or have your performance alignment shop check and adjust your bump steer with rack height.

2) Rack will be placed closest to subframe.

3) I have a nice compromise between street/track setup which is -2.5º camber all around, 10º of caster, .07º front toe out, and .13º toe in on the rear. I don't find it darty at all on the road, cross balance is 50%. I feel I could use a little more front toe out, and a touch more camber up front, but it's stable and rotates nicely on and off throttle, stable under braking.

4) Stock rack is linear

Comment

Originally posted by mtlbloodshot View Post
                          Anyone know the torque spec for the M10X50 bolts that pass through the rack for the crossmember?
                          Gudentight

Nah jk tight but if using plastic spacers not so tight they crack.
                          Also taking the entire knuckle off isn't required for airbag cars but it definitely helps and BUY ANTI SEIZE!!!! It helps to slide the knuckle on while having the screwdriver wedged in the crack.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
                            I would think that you will need the E36 high pressure line BUT I noticed when I was putting my rack in was that the old line was just as easy to have been adapted to the rack, maybe even easier.

I went with the E36 HP line because my E30 line was very old and I had already went through the trouble to purchase E36 HP line.
                            Ihave to disagree here get the e36 line

Comment

Originally posted by davem View Post
                              here's a pic that a fellow r3ver (nickname: Goose) took that demonstrates how to route a stock e30 HP line with a z3 rack - no bending of the fittings required, just flipped:

ummm NO I dont see how "flipping the line" will work and I just got out from under my car the line needs to be bent or it will hit the knuckle as you turn the wheel

Comment

Originally posted by bastianshaw View Post
                                ummm NO I dont see how "flipping the line" will work and I just got out from under my car the line needs to be bent or it will hit the knuckle as you turn the wheel
                                Goose daily drives his car with that setup, so I'm sure it works. And I just did the 180* flip tonight on my own e36 rack swap and it works fine
                                1990 332i, 4 door
                                2008 KTM 990 Superduke
                                2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
                                2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
                                2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

Working...
                                X