No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can always delete powersteering. Thats what i have done for my 318 and even with bigger whees and tires and a smaller steering wheel. It still isn't that bad. Just no one handed driving in parking lots haha

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Is the line you've got coiled? Mine wasn't. I flipped it and bent it. It comes off the rack, under the motor mount arm, behind the steering knuckle, back over the motor mount arm and into the pump. It's a nightmare. I'll end up getting the chase bays AN line next time I'm under and digging through the bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Haystack View Post
        Is the line you've got coiled? Mine wasn't. I flipped it and bent it. It comes off the rack, under the motor mount arm, behind the steering knuckle, back over the motor mount arm and into the pump. It's a nightmare. I'll end up getting the chase bays AN line next time I'm under and digging through the bay.

I do have the coiled line. That is the one I am having troubles figuring out how its suppose to be run.
        Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

Comment

There's no "supposed to be run". It's almost however you can get it to fit. But with the coil, it may be your best bet to have that end on the pump side, then bend and shape the other end however you've got to do it to fit in the rack.

Comment

On my m42 I left the line with the coil alone, I only disconnected the power steering lines from the rack and connected them back to the new rack. I did not disconnect the lines from the pump or reservoir. Only thing I had to do was bend the banjo bolts a little bit on the rack side. It was a pain in the ass to get one of the banjo bolt back in because I couldn't get the alignment right, but I eventually got it all in without any problems.
            First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by z28 View Post
              On my m42 I left the line with the coil alone, I only disconnected the power steering lines from the rack and connected them back to the new rack. I did not disconnect the lines from the pump or reservoir. Only thing I had to do was bend the banjo bolts a little bit on the rack side. It was a pain in the ass to get one of the banjo bolt back in because I couldn't get the alignment right, but I eventually got it all in without any problems.
              Thats great, thanks for the info. I'll keep at it with the coil hose and see where the banjo needs to be bent and make it work.
              Steve • Toronto
              1991 318is • Brillantrot
              Build Thread

Comment

Well I was able to get the PS line with the coil fitted last night after EXTENSIVE bending and persuading. I think the reason why I was having such trouble with this line is because my steering pump seems to be quite different when compared to the one from OP's original guideline.

OP's original image of the steering pump line hoses.

And here is my steering pump with the hoses bent to fit.

My next challenge is getting the PS line that connects from the reservoir to the rack to fit. I tried bending it it as well but it got pinched in the vice by accident. It definitely isn't an easy one to bend.

I see that OP made their own line for this part (I think) but given that I need to bend the banjo in order to make it line up to the rack, is there any point in making my own or should I just order a new one? I can't even find any where to order just the banjo fitting as it is anyways.
                Last edited by Powling; 04-28-2017, 08:30 AM.
                Steve • Toronto
                1991 318is • Brillantrot
                Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                  Well I was able to get the PS line with the coil fitted last night after EXTENSIVE bending and persuading. I think the reason why I was having such trouble with this line is because my steering pump seems to be quite different when compared to the one from OP's original guideline.

And here is my steering pump with the hoses bent to fit.

My next challenge is getting the PS line that connects from the reservoir to the rack to fit. I tried bending it it as well but it got pinched in the vice by accident. It definitely isn't an easy one to bend.

I see that OP made their own line for this part (I think) but given that I need to bend the banjo in order to make it line up to the rack, is there any point in making my own or should I just order a new one? I can't even find any where to order just the banjo fitting as it is anyways.
                  I have the same pump you have since we both have m42s, and yes, that line was a pain in the ass to get aligned properly. But it looks like the you mounted the rack on the wrong holes on the cross-member.

Comment

I have the same pump you have since we both have m42s, and yes, that line was a pain in the ass to get aligned properly. But it looks like the you mounted the rack on the wrong holes on the cross-member.
                    Assuming that I was suppose to use the inner mounting holes not the outer ones? To be honest, I just mounted it in the same holes the stock rack was installed on.
                    Steve • Toronto
                    1991 318is • Brillantrot
                    Build Thread

Comment

I have a e36 rack from rackdoctor ready to go in my 1991 318is m42 (airbag) but I am still unsure which high pressure and low pressure power steering hoses/lines to order. I want to get all new parts, since mine are leaking. I've read most people just reusing their low pressure hoses, but if you were to buy new LP hoses, are these the correct parts?

Also, this e36 HP hose or an e30 one?
                      Last edited by Mohit; 04-28-2017, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Not sure about the m42 but i bought bulk hose to replace my LPs
                        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                        Alice the Time Capsule
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                          Assuming that I was suppose to use the inner mounting holes not the outer ones? To be honest, I just mounted it in the same holes the stock rack was installed on.
                          If thats how your stock one was then I would leave it like that, now I feel like checking mine...haha.

Comment

If thats how your stock one was then I would leave it like that, now I feel like checking mine...haha.
                            Now that I checked the steps on page one it looks like he installed the rack on the inner holes not the outer ones
                            Steve • Toronto
                            1991 318is • Brillantrot
                            Build Thread

Comment

Looking to do the swap on non air bag convertible. From what I have read on the different models z3 is the closest to a bolt on you can go with. I was thinking of grabbing the kit from garagistic, which should give me the bolts and spacers but it looks like I will also need the below:

7/16 Bolt 2 Inches Long - - xxxxxxxxxxxx - - - - -x2 - - -$???
                              Bolt M10x50 - - - - - - - - - 26111226737 - - - - x2 - - -$2.70
                              Self Locking Nuts - - - - - - 07129964672 - - - - x2 - - -$0.60
                              Copper Seals 14x20 - - - - -32411093596 - - - - -x4 - - -$0.68
                              Copper Seals 16x22 - - - - -32411093597 - - - - -x4 - - -$1.04
                              Self Locking Nuts - - - - - - 07129922716 - - - - -x4 - - $1.20
                              Power Steering Res. - - - - -32411097164 - - - - x1 - - -$19.50
                              High Pres. PS Hose - - - - - 32411141953 - - - - -x1 - - -$74.00
                              Spacer - - - - - - - - - - - -72118119268 - - - - -x1 - - -$2.05
                              Spacer - - - - - - - - - - - -72111847480 - - - - -x2 - - -$1.92
                              Nut - - - - - - - - - - - - - -72111977925 - - - - -x2 - - -$1.10
                              LP PS Return Hoses - - - - - xxxxxxxxxxx - - - - - x2 - - -$14.50
                              Bottle of ATF - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -x1 - - -$2.50

Which part numbers does the kit eliminate (https://store.garagistic.com/bmw-per...n-z3-e36-e46)? What else would you recommend to replace while doing this work? Control arms? Tie rods? Sway bars? Anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by piwko98 View Post
                                What else would you recommend to replace while doing this work? Control arms? Tie rods? Sway bars? Anything else?

For me? I had to do the rack on my 85...

Subframe Reinforcement
                                Steering Guibo (you'll have to do that anyway)
                                Motor Mounts
                                Control Arms
                                Sway Bars and bushings

Comment

Working...
                                X