m52b28
    3.73lsd
    g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
      Which rack? yellow label?
      Purple

Comment

I plan to do the E36 rack conversion for a pre facelift RHD.

Is there anything unusual about doing this for RHD that I would need to know?
        Apart from spacers, and bending the power steering pipes?

Sikky make a custom steering shaft for this conversion (LHD, LHD airbag, and RHD versions available).
        Sikky’s BMW E30 Steering Shaft Assembly is a high quality, direct replacement steering shaft that will increase precision and provide sharper steering response. When designing this steering shaft assembly we removed the rag joints that are used in the OEM shaft, which eliminates the sloppy and less responsive feel that the OEM steering is notorious […]

Comment

I do not see a picture'

Comment

Super helpful thread.

I'm prepping for a e36 rack swap and having trouble finding details on the hardware required to replace the steering shaft flex joint. Prefer to stick to stock and not upgrade to delrin/ PU/ or Al. Those aftermarket kits come with the required hardware.

Comment

Going to bump this as I recently added powersteering to my e30 since I've owned it.

I've bought a reman regular e36 rack from the rack doctor years ago and been running it with no power steering until like 2 weeks ago.

I've added fluid , let it sit without it turning on the car because I ran out of time.

So I came back a week later and turned on the car and turned the wheel with the front raised.

I turned the wheel from lock to lock with the car off and some bubbles came out then I turned on the car and I looked in the reservoir and don't see the fluid moving with the car on.

Is it supposed to be making bubbles with the car on?

And also I don't feel the wheel turn easily like if it has powersteering.

I don't know how a e30 with powersteering feels but the wheel doesn't turn easily.

I'm not too sure if my style 5 wheels affect how easily the wheel turns.

Any input?

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                I've bought a reman regular e36 rack from the rack doctor years ago and been running it with no power steering until like 2 weeks ago.
                You ran a power steering rack for years with no fluid inside? Usually the guys who delete PS but keep the PS rack loop the lines.
                I'm not an expert but I thought the PS fluid was used to lubricate the rack internals and seals.

It's possibly running it dry has damaged the rack internally, but let us wait for someone more familiar with the system to chime in.

Comment

Well I've added fluid then put the power steering delete on. So it had some. I just find it weird that the fluid doesnt move when in the reservoir when it's on.

Comment

Found my problem. When I rebuilt the pump, I took out the drain plug from the ps pump and messed it up. So I plugged it with a bolt and used jb weld to make sure it didn't leak. I happened to block a passage with the new bolt. The original drain plug for the ps pump doesn't stick out as much. Now that I got a new back half, I installed it and everything works. Feels weird to have powersteering after so long

Comment

Working...
                    X