No announcement yet.

DIY - Double to Single Fuel Pump Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought I would update this thread since I am doing this again on my 85 323i. It's been a few years and all is well with the conversion on my M3. The shortened stock reducer hose has not split. Here are some pictures to show you what needs to be done.

Note the size of the outlet on the brass holder vs the new TRE fuel pump.

I installed the TRE pump high enough to where the outlet is practically inside the brass tube and the connection is secured with the shortened reducer hose and clamps. The height also keeps the pick up in the ideal location. Make sure you orientate the filter at the proper angle and the level sensor clears the pump as well. For power, I desoldered the stock wiring and soldered the new wiring to the + terminal. For the ground, I chose to install a ring terminal on the ground wire and used the factory ground screw to ground the new pump. Here it is all assembled next to the original.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 07-13-2018, 03:38 PM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

transfer pump current draw

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      After a few days it doesn't appear to be leaking. All is well. I measured current draw at the pump as 6.47 amps. Using online calculators, 17 gauge can support 6.5 A upto 6ft or so. We just have to determine exactly how long that wiring is.

Edit, interestingly the ETM for 89 M3 shows that the main pump and transfer pump use the same 1.5mm square wiring.
      I'm currently working on a problem my car has (described here) and I tried testing the current draw on my transfer pump. I got 0 amps, but I suspect I may have done something wrong. Can you describe the process by which you measured your? That would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Working...
      X