No announcement yet.

Bumpers, bumpers, bumpers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so, me having an 5/87 Cabrio.. i can go to a junkyard, find a plastic bumpered car, and remove its bumpers and shocks,
    and bolt them right onto my car, without much hassle.. if any?
    :D
    Yes ;)
    But do get a valence with integraded fog lights, or it will look like this ... diving board valence + plastic bumper ...

Recycle your old rubber iC lip, it fit's late style valences too, :)

tell me why this works so easily, what is special about the cabrio body/ bumpers..?
    All cabrios are plastic bumper compatible, why ?
    Well, has something to do with distance between rear wheel arch to rear corners, but to make it work you'll need ...

- the correct REAR bumper shocks, part # 51 12 1 959 128

or is there a catch, such as i need cabrio plastic bumpers?
    - no, but to make the rear look that much better you could bolt-on a Racing Dynamics rear apron to plastic bumper, I used one that was on a Aluminum bumpered car and it works very well., otherwise your spare tire bump will be more noticeble than ever.

Thanks,
    also, how much would i be spending on something like this, about..
    you're welcome, local private yards charge around $ 300 per bumper, but you could go to Pick-A-Part and get a better deal, you'll have to remove them your self., maybe $ 300 or less for the whole set up including Valance with Integrated fog lights.

here's my swaped pre 9/87 red cabrio,
    Last edited by fporro; 04-24-2008, 02:54 AM.

Comment

youre my new best friend, Thank you so much. btw, what month/yr is your cab?

i will begin my search for these, i do have that front plastic black lip, that set-up looks nice, especially with the iS fog lip.

i understand that rear apron dillemma, how much for the RD Apron?

oh and those shocks, what exactly are they from, normal plastibumper cars? cuz ill snag those with the bumper when i see one in a yard..

i guess im gonna do a tuck soon, then start saving up for the plastics!

thanks again.

edit
      oh yeah,

as for the rocker panels, the mtech kits just bolt on and cover those right? as well, they just slip on over the plastic bumpers too right? do they look bad without the front and rear, but just the sides? and to get the front and rear to stay on/look right.. you must have plastic bumpers right?

Comment

Can someone post picture of a e30 with euro bumpers? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by conceps
          Can someone post picture of a e30 with euro bumpers? Thanks.
          Toyota Pickup

Comment

Nice ride. thanks for the picture

Comment

ok, ive got my hands on a plastic rear bumper and am going to at the very least do a test fit with it this weekend, it needs a bit of work. now i got my alum bumper off and was looking where to bolt up the side securing deals and found that there are no studs coming out and no holes that line up with the holes in the plastic peice, what do i do now?
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
              Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

you'll have to DRILL :)

Comment

i figured that, but how do i positon it correctly?
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

slide them onto the bumper, line up the wheel arch sections and eyeball it.
                    i used the body's indents as points of reference, say, 1/4" off the sides of those markings.

Comment

You guys might find this useful, in case no one knows about it...

Comment

yeah i read the second page but he didnt use the stock side clips he just drilled through the bumper and i dont want to risk breaking the trim as im pretty bad at prying

Comment

You're going to have to pull the trim off of the rear bumper anyway to shorten it, aren't you?

I'll pretty much be following his write-up step by step. I should have all the parts soon.

Comment

I dont think you have to shorten anything on a cab.

1989 325iX
                            1995 540i
                            1986 325eS R.I.P.
                            1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielHStout
                              I dont think you have to shorten anything on a cab.
                              Ah yes, you're right.

Comment

I Got 1 Question: why do US 30s have such a huge ugly front bumpers?

Comment

Working...
                                X