Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoelRKaplan
    It seems that the 1.9 lever(...148 ) is on backorder in most places. Also the 148 lever has been superceded to a 252 or 256....something like that. Has any1 confirmed the new p/n to be the exact same lever? Sometimes parts are modified slightly when they get new numbers........its usually insiginificant but I was just wondering. Does any1 know where a 1.9 lever is in stock and available now?..... I also had heard from a well respected supplier that the M3 e36 lever was equal to a 1.9 throw but a bit taller "in car"......any one?........tia!

why is that face there.....it shows as an 8 in my post for editing?????

got it......!
    Last edited by JRKOUPE; 03-29-2006, 01:31 PM.
    I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

why is that face there.....it shows as an 8 in my post for editing?????
      bulletin board code recognized the 8 and the ) characters together as the cool guy smiley emoticon. Just put a space in there: (..148 )

Comment

1.9 lever

Does any1 have a 1.9 lever not installed yet? I would like some measurements please......pm me or whatever......or jrk@jrkchiropractic.com thnx!!

Comment

anyone bothered that the shift pattern has shifted?
          Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
          http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

It seems that the 1.9 lever( ...148 is on backorder in most places. Also the 148 lever has been superceded to a 252 or 256....something like that. Has any1 confirmed the new p/n to be the exact same lever? Sometimes parts are modified slightly when they get new numbers........its usually insiginificant but I was just wondering. Does any1 know where a 1.9 lever is in stock and available now?..... I also had heard from a well respected supplier that the M3 e36 lever was equal to a 1.9 throw but a bit taller "in car"......any one?........tia!
            I have the "new" 1.9 lever that replaced the ...148 part number. As fas as I can tell it is exactly the same. The measurments match the measurments on a #148 lever that somebody posted online awhile back.
            Aaron

Comment

Okay, theres way too many pages for me to read through, and a shitting session isn't long enough. Would anyone would like to post up a summary of all the Z car shifters, and which does what, and who likes what better? Along with some part numbers?
              My drinking team, has a racing problem.

Anyone have an aquarium? If you want fish, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by ddongbap
                Okay, theres way too many pages for me to read through, and a shitting session isn't long enough. Would anyone would like to post up a summary of all the Z car shifters, and which does what, and who likes what better? Along with some part numbers?
                Check the first page.

Basically, the longer the bottom, the shorter the throw.

3.0i is VERY notchy and VERY short - I love it!

1.9i is not notchy, and still a little short.
                - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
                  Check the first page.

I think VERY is a bit of a stretch. I love it to death, and can't picture driving the car with any other lever.

MAKE SURE you replace all other bushings related to the shifter and carrier arm - it will make or break the improvement of the new shift lever you choose!

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerfanatik
                    I think VERY is a bit of a stretch. I love it to death, and can't picture driving the car with any other lever.

MAKE SURE you replace all other bushings related to the shifter and carrier arm - it will make or break the improvement of the new shift lever you choose!

Oh, me either.

BUt compared to the 1.9, it's a lot shorter. Compared to stock, it's VERY short.

Hell, it's shorter than my dads UUC shifter in his M3, by far. I LOVE myt 3.0 shifter! :D
                    - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport
                      anyone bothered that the shift pattern has shifted?
                      It's so minute that it's not even an issue. I never even noticed after I installed the lever. The knob will probably move forward and to the right about 0.5".
                      Originally posted by Gruelius
                      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
                        Check the first page.

Gotcha. The thing I was refering to was clearance problems. I'm not sure if I get this right, but:

Ones with clearance problems can be solved by 1) Taking off the balancer, or 2) Taking a whack to the end of the shifter.

That said, I want something stupidly short. 3.0 would work right? What are the part numbers I'm looking for? I need bushing numbers, I plan to do this after this weekend.

If I were to head over to a BMW dealer, could I just talk like a stupidguy and just say, "I NEED z4 3.0 SHIFTER w/ BUSHINGS!" and have them understand my language?

Comment

Goddamn. I could have sworn that first post was shorter than hell. I hadn't realized that you were updating it. I'll just shutup and read first post. DAMN good job on that. Its rare that people update their first post, so sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by ddongbap
                            Goddamn. I could have sworn that first post was shorter than hell. I hadn't realized that you were updating it. I'll just shutup and read first post. DAMN good job on that. Its rare that people update their first post, so sorry!
                            It hasn't been updated in forever. One of these days, I'll go thru all the posts and update it. lol

Yea, you cna go to the dealer and say you need the 3.0i shifter, and they should be able to find it. A P/N is always better though. Eliminates any possible human error on their part. ;)

As long as you don't have a harmonic balancer, the 3.0i will work fine. While I had my car apart for my rebuild, I bent my selector shaft a bit to work in conjuction with the 3.0i shifter. The problem you can run into is that the selector bar will go into the selector joint (thing on the end of the selector shaft) at an angle, causing quite a bit of resistance when shifting. So I bent mine so that it goes in straight. This relieved quite a bit of the shifting effort I had from before. Combine that with my heavy shift knob - and it actually goes in pretty smoothly!
                            - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by 87Blue325iC
                              I have the "new" 1.9 lever that replaced the ...148 part number. As fas as I can tell it is exactly the same. The measurments match the measurments on a #148 lever that somebody posted online awhile back.
                              hey Aaron,
                              I picked up the new version also...... the vendor said it does NOT use the "washers"....Im thinking its the washers that go on either side where the linkage rod attaches thru the hole at the bottom of shift lever....did you omit those in the install??/////..hope Im clear in my wording...Im too lazy to look at realoem to use the proper terms.... are you happy w/ the lever?..... Im still considering AutoSolutions in addition.........tia!
                              Last edited by JRKOUPE; 07-12-2006, 08:27 AM.

Comment

hey Aaron,
                                I picked up the new version also...... the vendor said it does use the "washers"....Im thinking its the washers that go on either side where the linkage rod attaches thru the hole at the bottom of shift lever....did you omit those in the install??/////..hope Im clear in my wording...Im too lazy to look at realoem to use the proper terms.... are you happy w/ the lever?..... Im still considering AutoSolutions in addition.........tia!
                                I haven't installed it yet - it is still sitting on my workbench. When I get to it, i'll post an update.
                                Aaron

Comment

Working...
                                X