No announcement yet.

Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question: What is considered to be the shift linkage? Is it everything pertaining to shifting except for the transmission or is it a particular part?

I need to replace it and maybe even everything down there.
    1985 325e - 5000 RPM's of Fury

Comment

I'd just like to add my opinion here...
      I have a Z4 3.0 I believe shifter in my M3 and I hate it. Shifting takes muuuch longer, due to the fact that it is so notchy. I've tried this shifter in both the getrag 265 (M3) and getrag 260 (325i/s) and stand by my opinion that it is a horrible short shifter. Not only does it make shifts a pain in the ass, it puts more stress on other parts, causing premature failure, and worst of all, it moves the shifter even farther from the steering wheel! The opposite of what is desireable.

I had the MZ3 shifter in my 318is with the m20/getrag 260 and m50/getrag 260 and I believe that's also a bit too short, and it lowers the shift lever significantly (bad). It is a slight step up from the Z4 3.0, but everything pertaining to the Z4 shifter follows with the MZ3 lever.

My brother had the Z3 2.8 shifter in his 88 Seta/getrag 260, which I had the opportunity to extensively drive, and I liked it very much coming from my MZ3 shifter in the m50/318is. It was WORLDS smoother than the M roadster lever, shifts were still fairly short, and engagement felt more solid with the smoother shift and slightly longer throw. This has been ultimately my favorite setup so far.

I also had the Z3 1.9 lever installed in my dad's 2002 and my previous 5 lug 325is w/ getrag 260. I really loved that setup, shifting was shortened a little bit, but remained oh-so-smooth and easy. I found this lever is easiest to change on an autocross course or tight backroads. It glides from one gear to the next much better than any of the other levers available. I would recommend this for anyone who occasionally autocrosses their car and would like to prevent mis-shifts.

In order of preference:
      1. Z3 2.8
      2. Z3 1.9
      3. Stock M3/325is (feel the same if they are indeed different:LONG)
      4. M roadster
      5. Z4 3.0

4 and 5 were a great hinderance to quick gear changes, and ultimately added unnecessary difficulty to gear. I honestly cannot believe why everybody raves about such short throw shifters. For bling/bragging rights, sure, they're great, but when it comes down to speed/quick gear changes and wear and tear on the shifting parts, they are utterly horrible.

The next lever I buy will likely be the X5 lever as it shortens throw a bit, but also brings the lever up higher, closer to the steering wheel

whew, that's my opinion.. criticisms/comments welcome

Comment

X5 lever? they have X5's in manual?

Comment

If you're going to race or auto-x, take Bryson's advice. However, if you're just cruisin around, the Z4 3.0 is awesome IMO. After having it for 9 months I've gotten very used to the 'notchiness'.
          Originally posted by Gruelius
          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by zandi
            X5 lever? they have X5's in manual?
            Badass, eh? 3.0i models have an optional manual tranny.

Comment

I'm gonna say for everyday use, after 9 months of having the z4 3.0 it is kind of a pain.I've done about 6 autoX events with it, and even though it is super notchy, I think at high RPM's it isn't that bad. Reading Bryson's review still makes me consider buying the z3 2.8 though. :?

Comment

Originally posted by ///M Powered
                I'm gonna say for everyday use, after 9 months of having the z4 3.0 it is kind of a pain.
                Really? I love mine. I can't stand driving other people's cars... I can't find where the hell the gears are.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
                  I'm gonna say for everyday use, after 9 months of having the z4 3.0 it is kind of a pain.
                  Really? I love mine. I can't stand driving other people's cars... I can't find where the hell the gears are.
                  I have a hard time putting it into first if I'm not at a complete stop, maybe it's just my car haha.

Comment

I have a hard time putting it into first if I'm not at a complete stop, maybe it's just my car haha.
                    Nah first is pretty hard to slide into while at speed, I have a hard time at auto-x with mine occasionally. It takes a determined shove to get it in there, where as in the stock E46 I can just slide into gear smoothly no matter how much load the suspension is under.

Comment

With my old 21 y/o lever I could put it in first at ~8mph haha, I guess it's better this way, it makes me fully stop at stop signs lol.

Comment

Yeah it's not really a big deal, I only notice it because our CCA auto-x lot is extremely tight and you use 1st VERY often. I never downshift to first on the street, at stop signs I just do a momentary stop in 2nd and pull off smoothly. Torque owns you. :P

Comment

I found that not too many people have the Z4 2.5. I've found it feels nice on the road, and I have had no problems shifting at higher RPMs. I'm sometimes brutal on it, and it still slides with ease. The feel is just perfect; it's a bit notchy, but not so much that you'd notice.
                          The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryson
                            it puts more stress on other parts, causing premature failure
                            The only parts feeling more stress would possibly be the carrier bushings. It's not like the resistance w/in the transmission has increased... you've just decreased the amount of torque available by shortening the lever-arm (shift lever), and increasing the length below the fulcrum.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
                              Torque owns you. :P
                              :finger:

Comment

Originally posted by Bryson
                                it puts more stress on other parts, causing premature failure
                                The only parts feeling more stress would possibly be the carrier bushings. It's not like the resistance w/in the transmission has increased... you've just decreased the amount of torque available by shortening the lever-arm (shift lever), and increasing the length below the fulcrum.
                                I was referring to external shifting components, but since you brought it up...
                                chances are that your arm is going to try to move at the same speed, no matter which shifter you use, effectively creating the same experience as absolutely ripping on the shift lever. I have seen transmissions literally break into pieces because of this (all getrag 260s). I have also seen both upper shift carrier and lower selector rod break multiple times.
                                This is certainly possible both with a stock lever or a shorter lever, but it is much easier to stress the transmission parts with the shorter lever.
                                It does indeed put more stress on the gears by not allowing the snychros to effectively match the speed of the internal gears due to the quicker shifts, synchros on these old cars are not as instantaneous as they are on new cars with new technology and new transmissions.

Everyone has their own opinion, but if you're really after a faster shift, you need to move the lever closer to the steering wheel with a small throw decrease. By shortening the throw at the knob so much you are forcing metal parts together that are not quite in sync, causing wear, and/or taking more time to shift (two motions instead of one)

edit: I'd like to add that the Z4 3.0 lever may be a great shifter if there is a way to add ~5-6" to the lever above the pivot cup

Comment

Working...
                                X