No announcement yet.

Water Leaks = Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive got water coming down from by the transmission tunnel. My sunroof drains are clear and the vents by the wipers are clean too. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this??

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

Originally posted by noE30 View Post
      Ive got water coming down from by the transmission tunnel. My sunroof drains are clear and the vents by the wipers are clean too. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this??
      I have the same thing from time to time. I think it's a leak around the heater core.
      -tim
      Originally posted by Jordan
      I like the stance
      -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Originally posted by noE30 View Post
        I've got the same thing. I think it's either the foam seal around the heater or the actual seam of the firewall. That is, of course, if it's straight water, and not coolant...

Nürburgring info

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
          I've got the same thing. I think it's either the foam seal around the heater or the actual seam of the firewall. That is, of course, if it's straight water, and not coolant...
          Mine is straight water. How can we replace the seal or seam. Can you access it through the firewall?

Flickr

Comment

the seals for the blower motor disintegrate and it leaks in through the cowl, in my experience.
            8380 Laboratories
            M3 Champs Poster

Comment

Man these are leaky cars! I like how this thread is so old the pictures are no longer up, I wish I could see those original pictures though. I've got water still leaking in, I think mine is from the rubber where the battery cable comes through the firewall.
              West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
              ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

What pictures is everyone looking for? Sunroof drains locations, rocker drains, "elephant trunk"? I might be able to take some new ones and post them up. Let me know what we need and I can try figure it out.

Flickr

Comment

i got a leak some where in my sunroof drain. the water builds up in the trunk where the jack is supposed to be stored. my and my buddy shot compressed air through the sunroof drain tube and we could feel air on the other side. this is one strange leak. its like right where the B pillar is????. can't figure it out

Comment

I was just talking about whatever pictures were on the first page. I know where the elephant trunk and such is.

Acidblast are you sure it just isnt leaking from the trunk seal? Mine leaks in the same place. Water collects there if your car is parked on a downward tilt. I know that on mine I had a spot that had started to rust out where trunk lid arm is, I'll try to get a snapshot of where I'm talking about.
                    West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
                    ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

I'm having the same problems. It's been raining for like 3 days stright and I'm getting water. The day cleared up and decided to vacum up as much water as I can and found a hole where the bat sits . Nothing big bout the size of a half dollar but I was pissed off. Decided to just clean up as much as I can and sand down and rubber coated the whole trunk. But I still want to see some of thes pics. Any onE?

Comment

What's the Elephant Trunk

I have a Vert with a hard top, and no it's not the top that's leaking, but I have water in the drivers side floor board. Carpet is wet and can't figure it out. Pics of the Elephant Trunk?

Thanks
                        sigpic
                        WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

Elephant trunk in the car.

Just look right next to your spark plug wires. you will see it here ("outlined" in green) Just give it a tug and it will pop off. Clean all the gunk out of it and put it back on, which is kinda difficult, but just hook one side of it in and then twist it around until it snaps back in. A little oil on the lip might help as well.

Even if it is clogged it usually only causes leaking in the passenger side floorboard.

Comment

Hey Guys, I finally yanked the rug out of my car and was able to see where the water is coming from, the seal around the heater core pipes shrinks as previously posted. At night you shine a flashlight inside the car and you see it come through. So I squeezed as much silicone caulk as I could into the area from both inside and outside. Two days later it rained and still got water. Bought the expanding foam and tried to squeeze some from the inside and I come home today to find that yes I still have water coming in. I was just looking at the silicone mess I have created and the foam gunk mushroom inside my car. I guess I'm going to have to rip all that out and start again. I'm attaching this picture that I found useful not mine and don't pay attention to the red arrow, the oval rubber gasket is what shrinks.

On the bright side it's the only place I'm getting water and it's a convertible.:)
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	firewall.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	7122901
                            sigpic
                            WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

My driver's side footwell is soaked with water, but I can't tell where it is coming from. It doesn't appear to be coming from the heater core, the elephant tube is clean, and it appears that the sunroof drain is clear. Any other ways water could be getting in?

Comment

take out you carpet and pour water on your car, and look for a stream of water. thats how i found my elusive leak.

Originally posted by stewie30luvr
                                ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
                                Originally posted by JakeP
                                with a coathanger

Comment

Working...
                                X