Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Speed Swap Wiring - Plug & play w/ cruise control !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
    Check your switch then: 1 to 2 is the correct setup, so it is most likely the switch located at the top of the trans on the passenger side
    Can that switch be replaced?

I checked the voltage from plug 2 it was 11.98 V DC.

and I checked the voltage to the end of the reverse wire it was there a voltage.

I'll check if there is OHMs reading at the switch.

Comment

It can be replaced.

part location 18. but I know it is on the side of the trans not on the rear.

it is just pain to get out, will check it 1st.

Comment

If you have a really long wrench, it is easily accessible. Don't think there is room to get a socket wrench in there since you'd need a deep socket. It's a 17mm or 19mm bolt if I remember correctly

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
          If you have a really long wrench, it is easily accessible. Don't think there is room to get a socket wrench in there since you'd need a deep socket. It's a 17mm or 19mm bolt if I remember correctly

Thank you,,

I Have thursday off so I'll work on it when I get time. Thanks again.

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

Edit: Went back and reread other posts and threads. I am looking for the c200 connector and unplug the black wire in the back and plug in the black yellow wire. But someone messed with the wiring before can I just cut and solder the black wire connector from the black c200 plug and solder that with the black and yellow wire?? And not sure which end of the blk/yl wire to to connect since someone used that crimp connector. All other wiring connections were straight forward and easy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1410204069592.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	7169379
              Last edited by RBE9; 09-09-2014, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Hopefully the following will be helpful (sorry if I'm repeating info you already know, just trying to be clear in my explanation).

The black wire that connects at C200 is part of the auto wiring harness, as is one of the black/yellow wires. When you remove the harness you're left with a black/yellow wire that takes the place of the black wire in the large block of connectors on top of the steering column.

So in re-reading your post, I think I understand your question a little better...the black/yellow wire that goes to the auto harness relay is the one you DON'T want to use...the other one should be the one that goes to the ignition switch, which is the one that you DO want to use :)

This might be of some help in sorting out what's what too.

It seems much of the confusion can be avoided by removing the auto harness and relay completely. Feel free to contact me and I'll do my best to help you sort it out.

Cheers!
                Last edited by tsgoro; 11-28-2014, 11:37 AM. Reason: changed link to permanent project page

Comment

Got it figured out and it started fine. Thank you for the help of having the writeup. I should of removed the automatic harness entirely but I left it there. Should be out of the body shop soon and I can finally break in the new clutch.

Comment

Just finished my 5-speed swap yesterday. Started first time thanks to this. It's could not be any more simple.
                    1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
                    1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
                    bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

This is Great PO somewhere down the line did a 5spd swap in my car
                      Did this mod this morning took less then an hour as i pulled out some crap and taped up some stuff
                      IT WORKS. So nice to cruise into work this morning.
                      Thanks to everyone who documents and takes pics of this,
                      Directly above the center of the Earth

Comment

For anyone reading this that's working on a RHD car do the following:

1. Drop the glovebox, remove the plastic trim from under the dash.
                        2. Locate the 1x BLACK and the 3x BLACK+YELLOW wires.
                        3. Disconnect the BLACK and BLACK/YELLOW from each other.
                        4. Disconnect the remaining BLACK/YELLOW from each other.
                        5. Reconnect the BLACK/YELLOW (that was connected to the BLACK) to the BLACK/YELLOW that runs out to the drivers side of the car.

That'll remove the Park/Neutral inhibitor.

Hook up the reverse light switch as per all previous posts here.

Quick question for the Guru's:
                        I've removed my Auto and replaced the motor gearbox with an M52/ZF.
                        Can I use the reverse light wiring that are a part of the M52 engine loom or do i just run a new gearbox->centre console wire and plug it in where required?

Cheers!

Comment

did it over the phone with my friend, he's working on the car for my daughter, fired right up !!!

great info!!
                          88 M3 Lachsliber glass top, 90 IS project,

Comment

Well, I thought this was the thread of the year but now I have two new problems. I have no reverse lights nor brake lights. My 91 cabrio runs great and cruise works so I must have unplugged one too many wires.

The way I see it its that I have 2 different problems.

Ideas?

edit: Well, I must have forgot to attach the connector for the brake pedal and the it appears that the reverse switch in the tranny is dead. Back to thread of the year.
                            Last edited by N2MYE30; 05-11-2016, 06:48 AM.

COTM

Comment

Pictures?

Anyone have the pictures from the OP? I’m almost done with my 5-speed swap and just need to complete the wiring! I can’t seem to find the black / yellow or the black / black as specified.
                              1989 325ix Alpinweiss sedan. Auto to manual conversion. Mostly stock.

Comment

Originally posted by the_anch View Post
                                Anyone have the pictures from the OP? I’m almost done with my 5-speed swap and just need to complete the wiring! I can’t seem to find the black / yellow or the black / black as specified.
                                ^^^This. I might be able to figure it out based solely on description, but pictures woulds definitely give some extra confidence. Gotta love photobucket...
                                (OO=[][]=OO)

Instagram: @e30_tac

https://www.instagram.com/e30_tac/

Comment

Working...
                                X