Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY is for educated intelectual types...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY is for educated intelectual types...

I can't seem to find if anyone running a WAR chip has paid a professional to dyno tune their car. Everyone seems to be doing it themselves.

I'm all for DIY. But diagnosis and repair are my areas of expertise, not tuning a modified engine.

So I guess my question would be as follows.

Has anyone just installed their WAR chip and drove right down to a pro tuner with their laptop and had them do it up proper?

Thanks for all your continued support!

Equal rights should be all or nothing, not picked and chosen based on what's convenient for ones personal agenda.

So, it is to my understanding that we are all tuning our own WAR chip setups.

Equal rights should be all or nothing, not picked and chosen based on what's convenient for ones personal agenda.

Comment

The people that have the money to have someone tune their WAR chip probably don't have the need to peruse this section.

I'm aware of a number who have sourced outside tuners, why do you ask?
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Honestly, I just wanted to know people's experience with doing so.

Comment

I just had my m30 with WAR dyno tuned. I was running one of their base 179 ecu (high compression) tunes from miller. I ran the car for about 1000 miles on their base tune and had some issues such as a little higher than desired warm idle speed and a cutout when running at full throttle at times. The dyno tuner said the base tune wasn't too far off for my combo and added only about 10 hp and 10 ft/lbs. It does run a bit smoother and the idle is a little lower now but I still have the cutout issue under high load. The dyno time was $200 total. At this point I still have to completely go through my wiring to diagnose the cutout issue. I changed a lot of things when I swapped in the m30 so I have to get back to basics to finish sorting things out. The car still with b35 manifolds and some pipe restriction still made 205 whp at about 5100 rpm and 240 ft/lbs at the wheels at 4100 rpm on a Dyno Dynamics machine. More is on the table with headers.
          Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for the story!

What setup are you running on your m30?

Comment

My car is as follows:
              89 Royal Blau vert with factory m20 harness inside B35 cover
              B35 with 10.25 C.R. lightened and balanced stock rods (removed the pads on the big end)
              worked head/N21 grind cam (simply beautiful courtesy of Paul Burke)
              92.5 mm forged pistons which weigh 435 grams compared to stock 522 g.(also from Paul Burke)
              standard size Glyco main and rod bearings
              E28 535i radiator
              Getrag 260 with 533i flywheel balanced to E28 clutch & pp, UUC dssr
              87 Eta big guibo driveshaft
              home ported port matched intake, B35 exhaust manifolds enlarged to prevent reversion, and knife edged throttle body
              Stock B35 down pipes into y pipe with 2 1/2" single outlet to resonator to single inlet/outlet Walker muffler (sounds pretty beastly at full throttle)
              IE adjustable fpr
              E28 535i o2 sensor
              E34 coil
              modified B35 airbox with larger trumpet out of a Mercedes and aFe filter
              WAR chip
              Otis' mounts in position 2
              80 degree t stat
              15W40 Delvac oil
              NGK BPR6ES plugs at .032"
              Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

^ Damn that's beast. What diff ratio are you using? I have a modded M30 but not as fully done up as that. I have a 2.93 LSD and it's quite quick.
                Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by badvibrations View Post
                  Honestly, I just wanted to know people's experience with doing so.

Gotcha, Of the couple of dyno shops I've talked with, there seems to be a general consensus that it's a pretty easy system to tune (especially if the tuner is used to the MS).
                  ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Running a 3.25 diff.

The tuner I worked with (Matt at DSG) liked the WAR setup reasonably well in that it doesn't require rewiring much at all and is easy to change values. It doesn't allow for as much "fine tuning" as MS but isn't bad for tweaking an old motronic ecu. One tip: Once you have put your 4 base tunes into your Warchip the WAR wizard is automatically removed from the chip. So if you already have the base tunes like I did we then had to go through the trouble of reloading the wizard and base tunes off the Miller site and then we could adjust values. Also the car would not start with the freshly loaded base tunes until the USB cable to the laptop was disconnected.
                    Last edited by Bearmw; 06-14-2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

What is the war wizard?

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                        What is the war wizard?
                        I may be completely wrong, but I think the WAR wizard is the software used to tune the chip. And it sounds like it comes loaded on the chip to be removed and installed on your laptop.

Anyone confirm this?

Thanks again for the details and helpful hints.

Comment

my .2cents -
                          My team races a b34/M30 in our e30. The motor had mild head work and a b35 cam. 3" straight through exhaust and the Miller hot wire MAF / WAR chip..

We took our car to a local speed shop and used their Mustang dyno. Brody at Miller accessed the dyno computer and my laptop remotely (He lives in Canada and I'm in NC). We did 12 pulls and Brody made the changes. It worked out very well. At pull number 6 we noticed our air cleaner hose was collapsing at high RPM. Once we removed it the HP/Tq numbers jumped up.

So, basically a stock b34 made 175hp/205Tq at the wheel.

Brody was very good to work with. We have raced the car twice since it was done (each race is 18hrs long) and has done very well (except gas mileage - 14gal every 2hrs)which was expected.

Comment

Originally posted by porschelou View Post
                            my .2cents -
                            My team races a b34/M30 in our e30. The motor had mild head work and a b35 cam. 3" straight through exhaust and the Miller hot wire MAF / WAR chip..

We took our car to a local speed shop and used their Mustang dyno. Brody at Miller accessed the dyno computer and my laptop remotely (He lives in Canada and I'm in NC). We did 12 pulls and Brody made the changes. It worked out very well. At pull number 6 we noticed our air cleaner hose was collapsing at high RPM. Once we removed it the HP/Tq numbers jumped up.

So, basically a stock b34 made 175hp/205Tq at the wheel.

Brody was very good to work with. We have raced the car twice since it was done (each race is 18hrs long) and has done very well (except gas mileage - 14gal every 2hrs)which was expected.
                            wow... niiice!
                            e30 325i 1988 track toy
                            e30 M3 1989 M106 motronic swap (in process)
                            e36 M3 1995 S50B30 turbo
                            e38 750il M73N
                            Toyota Tundra 2UZFE (workshop car)

BMV Motorsports Guatemala

Comment

Working...
                            X