No announcement yet.

Megasquirt Timing and Fuel Map Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there is a soft spark limiter, it will retard timing to a certain amount before a hard limiter. It is supposed to make the "hard" limit less abrupt. Usually the base tune timing pull is 12deg, but I've never seen it prevent the hard limit--so it'll keep pulling until spark and/or fuel cut if you have it enabled.

I really doubt those are 23.8 gph, as that means they are like 1500cc/min injectors...perhaps 23.8lb/hr?

If you don't have dead times for the injectors themselves, leave the dead times alone.
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
      there is a soft spark limiter, it will retard timing to a certain amount before a hard limiter. It is supposed to make the "hard" limit less abrupt. Usually the base tune timing pull is 12deg, but I've never seen it prevent the hard limit--so it'll keep pulling until spark and/or fuel cut if you have it enabled.

I really doubt those are 23.8 gph, as that means they are like 1500cc/min injectors...perhaps 23.8lb/hr?

If you don't have dead times for the injectors themselves, leave the dead times alone.

Lol yes 23.8 lb/hr and no I couldn't find dead times. I'll check the soft limiter setting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So..... 0.035 gap on the cps and she is revving free as a bird. 6550 no problem. Can't wait to see what it puts down on the dyno next time. [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by Joegreen02 View Post
          So..... 0.035 gap on the cps and she is revving free as a bird. 6550 no problem. Can't wait to see what it puts down on the dyno next time. [emoji16]

No kidding- I know you mentioned early it's "mostly stock", but what all is done to this motor?

325iX Turdbo Rally/Hillclimb/Beater

Comment

Megasquirt Timing and Fuel Map Thread

Originally posted by Fraser View Post
            No kidding- I know you mentioned early it's "mostly stock", but what all is done to this motor?

So far I have deleted the maf, and have a 3" intake

long tube equal length headers and 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with magnaflow resonator 53956 and sport muffler 10416.

Febi HD new version rocker arms, and schrick 284 cam.

New Greenish blue timing belt and bmw tensioner is a good one can't recall the brand

Ac and power steering deleted about to do a serpentine belt conversion too

RHD 7.5lbs flywheel and clutch masters clutch

23.5 lb pink top injectors

Walbro 255 pump

GM intake air temp sensor

Square Motorsport e36 tps adapter and bmw e36 tps

Mega squirt 2 now tuned by solani performance of mcallen texas [emoji108]

AKG Motorsport red motor and trans mounts

AKG Motorsport short shifter with AKG DSSR

Clutch fan delete with flex a lite 16" fan and controller

Turner Motorsport coolest mod (nut where fan clutch was)

New bmw coil

IRE 8mm wire set

AEM wide band with controller

New bmw narrow band

Bosch r6 plugs

2.93 lsd medium case with aluminum front mounts and green urethane rear mount

All urethane bushings everywhere

UUC sway bars

H and R race springs on bilstein b8's

Z3 rack with garagistic install kit

Garagistic solid steering coupler

Garagistic strut tower bars and rear shock reinforcement

Condor center vent gauge mount with bosch gauges

Steering wheel from Bulgaria

Deleted all hvac system

Sparco corsa front seats with 4 point harnesses

I guess that's more than the motor there is lots more to it. And more to come. I have the turbo manifold on the way [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by Joegreen02 View Post
              If it clears up its back to the dyno to put down closer to 200!

Not sure a stock 2.5 with a cam is going to get to 200. Probably closer to upper 160's, low 170's. None of the other modifications you listed aside from exhaust will increase power. Even deleting the clutch fan only showed me .4whp on a DynoJet (yes, less than a half HP), and that could have just been the typical variance from run to run. Best case I have seen with headers vs stock manifolds was 5whp.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                Not sure a stock 2.5 with a cam is going to get to 200. Probably closer to upper 160's, low 170's. None of the other modifications you listed aside from exhaust will increase power. Even deleting the clutch fan only showed me .4whp on a DynoJet (yes, less than a half HP), and that could have just been the typical variance from run to run. Best case I have seen with headers vs stock manifolds was 5whp.

Edwardo says 175 at the wheels 200ish to the crank. He got some pretty decent power out of it before and it was having some pretty bad crank sensor issues. I've decided to forgo the second na run anyway. Got a turbo manifold coming. some more mandrel bent pipe in the garage and I have a couple turbos I'm looking at. By the time I get on days off again I'll have everything available to pull with a little boost and put down real numbers worth snapping a picture of lol

Comment

Crazy But Working

How do I Insert Picture of Tuning Map

M20B25 Rebuilt (Stock Internals)
                  -Arp Head Studs 85ft lbs
                  -Cometic .140 MLS Headgasket
                  -Backyard Port n Polish

Custom Turbo Manifold (6-2-1)
                  -Single MVR44mm wastegate

Precision Turbo 6766BB @20psi (240kpa)
                  -1000cc injector
                  -Custom Intake Manifold
                  -Precision 28x15x4 Intercooler
                  -Stock Coils
                  -Autozone Sparkplugs

I built it to see how far i can go with a "Stock" M20b25 engine!
                  So far its running strong!

I trying to learn the timing limits of a m20 engine with stock distributor!
                  Everyone says high boost low timing? But all my m20s love high timing!
                  How delayed are the ignition or coil ?

Any info please

Thank You

Instagram:
                  May 16, 2017 - 59 likes, 3 comments - Jaime Guilarte (@_jgcustom) on Instagram: "#_jgcustom #bmw #e30 #m20 #precisionturbo #6262 #e30_daily #streetcar #power2weight #e30gram #e3..."

_Jgcustom
                  Lajaim92
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  Last edited by JGCUSTOM; 05-14-2019, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JGCUSTOM View Post
                    How do I Insert Picture of Tuning Map

M20B25 Rebuilt (Stock Internals)
                    -Arp Head Studs 85ft lbs
                    -Cometic .140 MLS Headgasket
                    -Backyard Port n Polish

Custom Turbo Manifold (6-2-1)
                    -Single MVR44mm wastegate

Precision Turbo 6766BB @20psi (240kpa)
                    -1000cc injector
                    -Custom Intake Manifold
                    -Precision 28x15x4 Intercooler
                    -Stock Coils
                    -Autozone Sparkplugs

I built it to see how far i can go with a "Stock" M20b25 engine!
                    So far its running strong!

I trying to learn the timing limits of a m20 engine with stock distributor!
                    Everyone says high boost low timing? But all my m20s love high timing!
                    How delayed are the ignition or coil ?

Any info please

Thank You

Instagram:
                    May 16, 2017 - 59 likes, 3 comments - Jaime Guilarte (@_jgcustom) on Instagram: "#_jgcustom #bmw #e30 #m20 #precisionturbo #6262 #e30_daily #streetcar #power2weight #e30gram #e3..."

_Jgcustom
                    Lajaim92
                    [IMG][/IMG]
                    How is this working out for you? That is a fuck ton of timing and im curious how its holding up for you?
                    - AXIS POWERS - 2JZ E30 Build
                    Current Project - 87 325is 2JZ Swapped with M4 DCT

Comment

With a compression ratio over a full point lower than stock I'd expect it to need a lot of timing. Given what I've seen of people's settings in these threads I'd also wager that the offset angle is off, further skewing the timing. I had a Volvo B21FT once, 7.5:1 compression ratio from the factory, it needed a lot of timing too.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                        With a compression ratio over a full point lower than stock I'd expect it to need a lot of timing. Given what I've seen of people's settings in these threads I'd also wager that the offset angle is off, further skewing the timing. I had a Volvo B21FT once, 7.5:1 compression ratio from the factory, it needed a lot of timing too.
                        Im interested in seeing his offset angle and a log!

Comment

Forcefed, you mentioned the 5* drop from 100 to 120kpa. That's what I have going on here as well. It seems to drive well and transition over well. I have verified my tooth angle so timing numbers are correct. What would you suggest that I do to help smooth that transition? This is on E85 BTW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Current timing map. Could probably use a little more refinement, but with the Covid situation I won't be going to a dyno any time soon... so tuning for knock threshold.
                            Would love any feedback. Fuel table is pretty good at full boost of 155kPa absolute, not bad everywhere else, but needs some polishing still.
                            • Timing set using timing light, 0deg on timing light, idling at 0deg fixed advance - so the numbers should be pretty accurate absolute timing
                            • 91 pump gas at ~6000ft elevation.
                            • eta bottom end/pistons
                            • 885 head very slightly decked
                            • Enem Z45 turbo cam, adjusted fairly advanced (5deg? mark on the Nuke cam pulley) for this tuning session
                            • Custom 6-2-1 equal-length exhaust manifold
                            • Water-air intercooler (~30-40deg above ambient after running through a couple gears at 8psi/155kPa absolute)
                            • Holset HE351VE turbo (VGT is being used, still tuning it but it works pretty well)
                            • Boost is ~8psi (155kPa absolute)
                            • Backed off ignition timing until no discernible knock with self-built DIY electronic det cans (knock sensor into amp, band pass filter at knock frequency on the output, into headphones)
                            • MAT retard fairly linear from 0deg @ 44F to 5deg at 173F
                            • Ignition settings: tooth #1 @ 84deg, rising edge (engine won't run with falling edge), 5usec latency, wasted spark
                            • Fuel settings: multiply MAP, include AFRtarget, baro correction
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	timing_2020-04-10.PNG Views:	0 Size:	446.3 KB ID:	9917033
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	fuel_2020-04-10.PNG Views:	0 Size:	505.6 KB ID:	9917034
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	afr_2020-04-10.PNG
Views:	1301
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	9917037
                            Last edited by mikey.antonakakis; 04-11-2020, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Hey quick question. I'm on basically a stock m20, with slightly larger injectors, long tube headers and like a 3" exhaust back. Currently my kpa around 85-90 in the ve fuel tables is set to around 35. This seems low compared to what I've seen, but it's idling well with that figure. Is this going to be OK? Everyone else has their set at like 50+ in idle zone.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                                Hey quick question. I'm on basically a stock m20, with slightly larger injectors, long tube headers and like a 3" exhaust back. Currently my kpa around 85-90 in the ve fuel tables is set to around 35. This seems low compared to what I've seen, but it's idling well with that figure. Is this going to be OK? Everyone else has their set at like 50+ in idle zone.
                                Yeah that seems really high. Have you calibrated the sensor?

Comment

Working...
                                X