Megasquirt Timing and Fuel Map Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bruner View Post
    Bumpski, let's get some more info on this thread. Anybody have m10 (turbo or NA) tables that I could use as a base?
    probably too late for you, but...

'84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by SLEEPYDUB View Post
      Here is my M20 E85 timing map.
      Setup is 885 head with a 280/274 cam and a 2.7ETA bottom end. Car runs very good and is very fast.

Most importantly, my Tooth Angle #1 is set to 83 and falling edge. That is important to remember so don't just load these figures in unless you realize what that means!

This is a lot of timing in boost, but it is a 2.7 bottom so the quench is not as good as an 885 head that would require less timing. So this may be way too aggressive for a normal M20B25!

Would like some feedback on the map if anyone has any. I am still going to be making revisions to it once I hit the dyno.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
      Tooth Angle #1 is set to 83 and falling edge.

best info here. its a wide world of internet confusion without a reference angle.

Comment

Hi all, figured I'd link this here for any other M10 interest. I did a very thoroug writeup including tuning tips and my maps when I Megasquirted my 2002 which can be found here and is great reference for anyone starting out:
        While there is quite a lot of information on EFI conversions for our cars (some of which I will directly reference here), my goal with this article is to help anyone embarking on this type of project with a modular approach, so that one may go at his own pace, and deviate for personal preferences...

and for tuning:
        This is the continuation of the Megasquirt/EDIS installation article found here (which I apparently ran out of article room in): This article will focus specifically on how to tune an EFI installation on your 2002. It will focus on Megasquirt as the example (since that is what I installed on my c...

I just fired up my new E30 (stock M20B25) Megasquirt build yesterday; started on the first try! :D Will need to now do some tuning but will report back with my base maps once I get them dialed in a bit!

Comment

hey guys so the thread on e30tech is kinda back up and ive read through it again. i keep seeing people referencing the stock ignition map and saying it has the timing peak before peak hp and then timing pulls back to prevent knock at peak hp. however all the images of the stock map are dead. so does anyone have a copy of the stock motronic ignition map?

Comment

Originally posted by kyleconstantine View Post
            hey guys so the thread on e30tech is kinda back up and ive read through it again. I keep seeing people referencing the stock ignition map and saying it has the timing peak before peak hp and then timing pulls back to prevent knock at peak hp. However all the images of the stock map are dead. So does anyone have a copy of the stock motronic ignition map?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock 173 timing maps.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	7200585

Name:	Stock 173 timing maps.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	7200585
            Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 11-29-2022, 08:28 AM.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Oops. Didn't see this thread before I posted another one.

Here is a copy of the best (I thought) fuel and spark tables from e30tech.
              "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
              2002 E39 M5

Comment

awesome thanks... although thats a little scary ive got a ton more advance than that wot map. i imagine my timing mark or timing light inst accurate and my tooth angle is off.

Comment

m20b25 turbo

Name:	snip1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	7201067Click image for larger version

Name:	snip2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	7201068this was generated on a dyno last year. stock m20b25 franken holset wh1c/ hx35? around 8psi. made 320/320. right before the head gasket let go lol 42# injectors. wastegate only

Comment

Why did the headgasket let go? Timing is pretty aggressive in that area for pump gas so that could be the culprit I assume?

- AXIS POWERS - 2JZ E30 Build
                    Current Project - 87 325is 2JZ Swapped with M4 DCT

Comment

Originally posted by SLEEPYDUB View Post
                      Why did the headgasket let go? Timing is pretty aggressive in that area for pump gas so that could be the culprit I assume?

I would bet on the timing being too aggressive. ~21-22° at 140kpa is pushing the limit on a stock gasket and 93 pump fuel. Even in NA form, the engine doesn't need over 30.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

Yea that's what I was thinking. I run a lot of timing too but that's much higher then my map and I'm on e85 and a 2.7/885!

- AXIS POWERS - 2JZ E30 Build
                        Current Project - 87 325is 2JZ Swapped with M4 DCT

Comment

The gasket was an mls .120 thick. Previous owner installed but never had the block or head surfaced. Timing is definitely aggressive. My thought is because those surfaces were never prepped, the hg never had a chance. It was replaced with a goetze and brand new arp studs. Has been run pretty hard since with zero hg* issues
                          Last edited by turbski; 03-15-2019, 09:30 AM.

Comment

.120?!?! No need for that, the m20 has low enough compression, I have put boost on much higher comp ratios without blinking twice. Also, the MLS gaskets hold just fine in spite of surface prep, if anything you will just get a little bit of oil/coolant weeping. I drill the rivets and spray both sides of each layer with copper when the surfaces aren't fresh.

Really surprised you had an MLS fail without damaging pistons - they usually go first. MY preferred method for boost is o-rings and Goetze gasket, that way you still have a "fusable link". Changing a gasket is much easier than pistons.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:

Comment

that's not to say im not having different problems with it at this time but that's for a different thread I spose

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                                .120?!?! No need for that, the m20 has low enough compression, I have put boost on much higher comp ratios without blinking twice. Also, the MLS gaskets hold just fine in spite of surface prep, if anything you will just get a little bit of oil/coolant weeping. I drill the rivets and spray both sides of each layer with copper when the surfaces aren't fresh.

Really surprised you had an MLS fail without damaging pistons - they usually go first. MY preferred method for boost is o-rings and Goetze gasket, that way you still have a "fusable link". Changing a gasket is much easier than pistons.
                                100% agreed. I believe I got lucky that time, when the head was pulled the rivets were there, no signs of copper spray. I had posted my findings. the failures were evident from cylinders 1,2,3,4, and was only under boost. The tuner figured we were lifting the head at only 8psi.

upon further investigation and talking with the previous owner (local guy, on this forum) the arp studs correlating to cylinders 2,3,4 for some reason would not hold a torque. I was told they had been on since before he got the car and had been on and off at least 4 times in his ownership. that's when I decided to pony up for another set of arps and go back to the oem thickness goetze gasket.

Comment

Working...
                                X