Clear All

• e38740imd
    replied
    A ultra quick question.

Concerning this Bosch coil

Which coil 1 2 and 3 on this?

I made a picture based on the og pic here based on what I think it is

https://imgur.com/a/JSySy1

Wiring is already done based on info here. Just need to know which coil is what so I can pair my cylinders and plug in the spark plug wires

Leave a comment:

• trevhawkins4
    replied
    Hey,

Sorry to bring up an old thread but you guys are the only ones on here to actually know what they are talking about when it comes to this. I'm running the gm backing plate on my msd coils with the quadspark and jt just isn't working. I have everything hooked up with the optional port on the MSPNP and all the wires running up to the plate itself and I'm getting no spark. I can send a screenshot of my ignition screen, but I am lost on to what is wrong with this. If you guys could help I would appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• tiger_e30
    replied
    On the bosch coil pack are 1&4, 3&6, and 2&5 paired together internally? So that when 1 fires 4 also does etc
    ​​​

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Whether you need a module depends on your MS configuration. If you have the internal drivers, you do not need a module.

Leave a comment:

• e38740imd
    replied
    nvm. i see them numbered on the coil in the little bubbles

last question is does this option require the ignier module or is it built in

Leave a comment:

• e38740imd
    replied
    Originally posted by 2002tiiguy View Post
    Bosch coil 0221503002
    Fits 95 Saab 900 2.5 V6
    95 Saab 9000 3.0 V6
    95 Ferrari F50 4.7L V12 :devil:

Get this http://www.efiexpress.com/catalog/pr...products_id=61

and get your megasquirt option connector

Dwell times are in the included PDF along with the wiring diagram.

Reuse original Plug wires.

I plan on mounting my coil to the firewall and flipping the wires in the loom.

Firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4

Question for you guys.

if you use this bosch coil listed above. which coils goes to which spark plug? i dont see any numbers to identify on the unit in the pictures

Pin 4 is positive, 3 is 1/6, 2 is 2/5, 1 is 3/4

^^^^^^^^^^^ thanks for this!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• This reply by Scallywagon has been deleted by Scallywagon

Scallywagon
    replied

• varg
    replied
    MS fires ignition drivers in alphabetical order.

Wasted spark in parentheses:
    A: 1 (6)
    B: 5 (2)
    C: 3 (4)
    A: 6 (1)
    B: 2 (5)
    C: 4 (3)

All you need to know is which pin goes with which driver (A, B, C, D) and wire the coils so that they fire in the correct order, which in the M20 wasted spark case will always be A1/6, B5/2, C3/4. It seems odd at first that A, B, C, D correspond with descending pin orders 17, 16, 15, 14 at first but on MS boards R26 is A, R29 is B, R27 is C and JS11 is D so I suppose it's normal for MS to have jacked up orders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PNP_QS13.jpg
Views:	953
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	9909378
    Last edited by varg; 03-03-2020, 08:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    From http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/docs/ms...genInstall.php

17 - Spark A
    16 - Spark B
    15 - Spark C

So,
    A -> 17 -> 1/6
    B -> 16 -> 5/2
    C -> 15 -> 3/4

Leave a comment:

• e30davie
    replied
    what coils are you using?

As you suggest you want to aim for the minimum dwell that you can get away with.

You've got to be careful with some smart coils as when you dwell them too much they fire by themselves, and it can cause naughty things as essentially you are advancing the timing more than you think you are.

edit: ive just noticed the date of the previous post, oh well ill leave it here.

Leave a comment:

• mrlucretius
    replied
    Hi People,

Regarding the battery tray coilpack / quadspark setup:

I ran into some trouble with the coil + drivers overheating.

I was stuck in traffic idling on a hot day, and then I lost two cylinders...

I thought I blew one of the drivers, but then I read they have overtemp protection.

So once everything cooled down, it started up fine.

I am planning to install a heat shield between the exhaust header and the coil pack to avoid direct radiant heating.

Also, I may put a heatsink between the quadspark and the coil bracket plate.

Finally, I did reduce the dwell down to 2.5 from 3.5ms to reduce the current and thus internal heating of the quadspark. So far no more overheating issues.

Really, upon reading more, you are supposed to dial back the dwell until you get missing at idle, then turn it up a few tenths. I bet I can back off dwell even more to reduce current more.

For this setup, as far as I understand, since there are 3 coils (instead of one), the duration setting does not really matter, unless you can rev to ~18k rpm (where duration would force reduction of dwell at high rpm), not gonna happen on an M20.

As a reminder: for my high compression motor build, the single stock coil setup would start misfiring at ~6krpm or so due to dwell being reduced. That is why I went wasted spark. Three coils can fire 3 times as fast before duration starts reducing dwell and thus spark energy.

Will post a pic when I get that all put together.

-Alex
    Last edited by mrlucretius; 09-12-2019, 10:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Tooth #1 angle should be 84* give or take. You'll have to verify your actual tooth #1 angle using a timing light to be sure (mine was about 84.6* to be absolutely perfect). This would make your timing table off by 13*.

Leave a comment:

• saucers
    replied
    Seems to be wired correctly, has spark.
    Turns over, but doesn't start for some reason
    Car was tuned by ForcedFirebird sometime back

After seeing mrlucretius settings, my cranking dwell seems a bit lower than his.
    Going to give that a try

Leave a comment:

• citizen_insane
    replied
    You didn't mention what issue you're actually having. Are you confused how to wire it up? Do you have it wired up and it's not working? Have you verified you have spark? Have you verified your timing? 97°BTDC seems high. My car was setup at 90° and 84° is a number I see on the internet fairly often as well. You will need to verify all the settings in the MSPNP tune because in my experience they are not necessarily correct.

Leave a comment:

• saucers
    replied
    Have you ever been looking for something in a cabinet and it's right in front of your face but you can't find it.
    Thats how I feel getting this wired up.
    HELP! What am I missing here?

MSPNP from diyautotune, my settings are:

Quadspark and Bosch 0221503002 is wired the following, with pin 4 on the coil wired to green wire 12v from the stock coil:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X