Staged build - new to standalone ECU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staged build - new to standalone ECU

So after some peer pressure from Nando (didn’t take much lol) I ordered RHD ITB’s for the M20. I have no idea what I”m doing beyond this so guess its good to learn. I plan to do a turbo/ITB setup and would like to keep the car at a manageable power level and fun to drive through the city and highway - no track days for this vert.

Doing it a little backward but it looks like my next thing to make the RHD ITB’s to work is a standalone ECU. Rama recommends ECUM classic, there are others running MS2, and Haltecs. So if we are talking a staged build that would be ITB then boost and other internal stuff with a novice/very new person to tuning. What’s the recommendation? Money isn’t an issue its ease of use and I will pay more for less frustration with setup, install, and continued maintenance.

School me on things I may not be thinking about...hoping I didn’t get myself into a rats nest of complexity and bullshit but we’ll have fun while learning.

Also, does anyone make a complete (all you need) turbo kit that’ll get me on the road? Ive checked out KAmotors and TCD. Or better to try and piece together?
    Last edited by Mastrcruse; 10-13-2019, 10:12 AM.

Heres what I see scattered across the board for recommendations - Haltec (with multiple add ons and wiring needs), MS2PNP (easiest but lacks some things), ECUMaster Classic (low usage but recommended by EU/AU guys), VEMS ECU (again not many threads but EU/AU guys use it).

Comment

Might be smart to find a tuner first and then use something they are comfortable with. It can be tough if you do the opposite.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
        Might be smart to find a tuner first and then use something they are comfortable with. It can be tough if you do the opposite.
        Ahh..that makes sense. I was wondering that yesterday when I saw a thread about local tuners liking XX tuner.

Comment

Decided to cancel the order for the ITB’s. Looking to go boost and working with Blunt on a turbo setup.

Comment

Probably a good call, economically speaking for sure. For moderate power levels I think you'll find your perfectly happy with a mild turbo setup and likely miss out on a lot of headaches without the ITBs.

325iX Turdbo Rally/Hillclimb/Beater

Comment

Working...
            X