Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mike11339
    replied
    This is the part I’m talking about where the exhaust leak has developed.

Leave a comment:

• e30davie
    replied
    What parts are you guys talking about here? Just take car to proper exhaust shop, get them to fix. end of story?

Mine was all rusty, they cut it back to where it wasn't rusty and just made new bits and put it all back together.

Leave a comment:

• ZeKahr
    replied
    Originally posted by mike11339 View Post
    Hi, I too just picked up an e30 with a leak in the exact same spot and wondering if you ever got it fixed and how? Thanks
    Wanted to chime in here as well. My midpipe was rusted to the point of no repair and developed a bad leak at the flex joint. Shop told me that the midpipe needed to be replaced. Unfortunately, they don’t manufacture OEM midpipes for the M20 anymore so you have to gamble with aftermarket ones...

Leave a comment:

• mike11339
    replied
    Hi, I too just picked up an e30 with a leak in the exact same spot and wondering if you ever got it fixed and how? Thanks

Leave a comment:

• jeffnhiscars
    replied
    Don't rule out the possibility that being in MI the pipe could be corroded to the point of being too thin to weld

Leave a comment:

• nrubenstein
    replied
    Originally posted by Steiner View Post
    I thought the same thing, so I asked him about just replacing the flex joint. He was very specific - and I made sure to ask - that the pipe was too thin to weld, not the flex joint. Frankly, it didn't make sense to me either.
    He may just not have access to acceptable welding equipment / skill.

(Although what that lack of skill may be, I don’t know. Novice welder me could do it, and an M20 midpipe was one of the first things I ever welded.)

Leave a comment:

• Steiner
    replied
    Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
    He probably said that the flex joint material is too thin to plausibly weld. The pipe itself is perfectly weldable.

Just get a new flex joint and have it welded to the pipe.
    I thought the same thing, so I asked him about just replacing the flex joint. He was very specific - and I made sure to ask - that the pipe was too thin to weld, not the flex joint. Frankly, it didn't make sense to me either.

Leave a comment:

• nrubenstein
    replied
    He probably said that the flex joint material is too thin to plausibly weld. The pipe itself is perfectly weldable.

Just get a new flex joint and have it welded to the pipe.

Leave a comment:

• Steiner
    started a topic M20 Downpipe Flex Joint Repair?

M20 Downpipe Flex Joint Repair?

I have a 1990 325ix that has developed a leak at the downpipe flex joint. The leak is actually on the bottom of the flex joint where it welds to the pipe. The cat has been removed from this car by a prior owner.

A mechanic attempted to repair the pipe, but the repair did not last. When I took it back to him to look at, he stated the pipe (not the flex joint) was too thin to weld and that I would just have to get new downpipes.

Sooooo..... is he right? Or, is there some sort of repair I can do to replace the flex joint that will actually weld to the pipe? I'm open to suggestions!
Working...
X