Build it for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build it for me

There are many builds out there. I want your opinions, especially if you had to do it again.
    Goal: 300-350 hp with decent spool with a M20 from a 325is. I am willing to pull off the head, and change the cam, do a head job/arp head bolts/gasket etc, but would like to leave the bottom end stock.
    ebay kits = garbage
    I’m doing body work for the next 2-3 months, but want to start shopping early to try to snag good deals and to start piecing it together.
    The most important parts I’m considering:
    Which turbo and trim would be best for the described goals? Good one with an internal wastegate, or do I really need an external.
    Fuel management: Thinking megasquirt.
    Machine work: Cams? Porting? O-Ring vs just metal head gasket? Welding water jackets? What’s necessary and what’s not for my power levels.
    A good exhaust manifold that has clearance. I already have headers, so adapters (may or may not work)
    Obviously going to run a FMIC, injectors, pump, (probably keep the stock intake manifold)
    If you know a good thread or link to a great build, or just tell me what you are running and what you would change. Obviously speed= money and it’s not hard to rattle off the best stuff, but if you could keep in mind my modest power goals and share a good combo that would be great.

if i were to do it all over again i would of just bought it all at once from TCD

sure it seems a little pricey but shoot him a call and he will cut you a deal. no headaches no heartaches just tire roasting fun :D

Comment

check out e30 tech and there is an entire turbo write up. From what I hear TCD kit in the end saves time and money and most importantly is reliable.

Originally posted by b3albakii
      the head was okey .. and in a good mood
      no i didnt over heat it so much
      www.blunttech.com

Comment

Yea the kits are nice. But for 5 grand I can put together something way better, unless he is willing to take it to 3500. Plus I am dead set on tuning the car myself with megasquirt.

But there is something to be said about a bolt on kit in a weekend.

Comment

Holset hx35
          generic ebay header
          generic a2a intercooler
          other normal up grades needed for forced induction, Fuel pump, FPR, injectors and a MAP sensor to replace the MAF, Wide band o2 blow off and waste gate springs, and a MLS head gasket
          Mega squirt with a moderate tune and 17-19lbs of boost will get you to your goals

You dont really need to do that much, stock cams are generally the best for turbo apps unless you are going all out for every last oz of power. IIRC stock comp ratio in for the m20 is 8.8:1 which is nearly perfect for a turbo car. I would stud the head though or at least upgrade to the metric blue head bolts.
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
              Holset hx35
              generic ebay header
              generic a2a intercooler
              other normal up grades needed for forced induction, Fuel pump, FPR, injectors and a MAP sensor to replace the MAF, Wide band o2 blow off and waste gate springs, and a MLS head gasket
              Mega squirt with a moderate tune and 17-19lbs of boost will get you to your goals

You dont really need to do that much, stock cams are generally the best for turbo apps unless you are going all out for every last oz of power. IIRC stock comp ratio in for the m20 is 8.8:1 which is nearly perfect for a turbo car. I would stud the head though or at least upgrade to the metric blue head bolts.

I've been doing research on this topic for a while now, and I agree with just about everything he said - EXCEPT, the metric blues. If you read through a bunch of the old turbo build threads, you'll see all over the place people cautioning about the blues. Make the investment for ARP's.
              http://l0st0n3.mybrute.com
              http://l0st-0n3.mybrute.com
              Work in progress: 1991 318i m50 swap

Feedback thread :up:

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
              I prefer having a female in the car at all times. They generally smell good, but you do have to put up with that hole in their face.

Comment

I totally agree with that but the blues are a bare bones requirement. I am a race wear guy my self as to get the same tensile strength you have to go to the arp 2000's

Originally posted by 1mz View Post
                I've been doing research on this topic for a while now, and I agree with just about everything he said - EXCEPT, the metric blues. If you read through a bunch of the old turbo build threads, you'll see all over the place people cautioning about the blues. Make the investment for ARP's.
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

I totally agree with that but the blues are a bare bones requirement. I am a race wear guy my self as to get the same tensile strength you have to go to the arp 2000's
                  I\m in the same boat as the OP. The ARP's are for a different car if am not mistaken as in the catalog the ARP's are not specified for our M20b25 engines...but they work anyways.

Ebay headers look like they will all break with time...a good solid cast manifold is hard to find.

Ebay turbo\s T3/T4 are apparently a LOT better then people think...for 200$ I will give it a shot and see...

ETDMOTOR\s on ebay has a good barebones kit for under 1500$ ...then all you need is fuel/tuning..

Taken from another site:

joeuser528e - this guy knows what he is talking about.

"Just FYI, the engine internals are very strong in these cars. You don't need to buy forged pistons, turbo cam, different crank, etc...

People have reliably ran 400+hp on stock m20 internals. These motors are already the perfect compression, the secret is in tuning.

Stock m20b25 engine. 9.0:1 compression.
                  Welded head coolant channels. ~$200
                  o-ringed block. ~$150
                  ARP headstuds. ~$245
                  Refresh the bottom end (bearings, rings) and replace all engine seals. ~500

Right there you will have a bulletproof engine that will easily run 450+hp. Take the money you were going to spend on engine internals and spend it on tuning and making sure every other component of the setup is top quality. The internals are not the weak parts on these motors, just the headgaskets."
                  Last edited by Denny; 01-29-2010, 08:04 AM.
                  Denny

Blogs:
                  http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/ (restoration)
                  http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com (Twincharge M20)
                  http://bmw325e30m62b44.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Holset hx35
                    generic ebay header
                    generic a2a intercooler

just thought I'd point out.. metric blues aren't head bolts, or at least they probably weren't designed to be head bolts. They're a bolt from the mcmaster catalog that happen to have similar dimensions to the stock E30 bolts. I'd rather have new OEM bolts than MBs personally. of course ARPs are full of win :)

also the stock cam being best for a turbo isn't true either. It does work fine though.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      just thought I'd point out.. metric blues aren't head bolts, or at least they probably weren't designed to be head bolts. They're a bolt from the mcmaster catalog that happen to have similar dimensions to the stock E30 bolts. I'd rather have new OEM bolts than MBs personally. of course ARPs are full of win :)

also the stock cam being best for a turbo isn't true either. It does work fine though.
                      Cool! I did not know that...

ARP's are best .. they are more expensive but worth it tried and true!!

For the gasket is the stock one good enough or MLS, cometic, better

for a starter turbo kit...http://cgi.ebay.ca/BMW-E30-Turbo-Int...item27ae4976c5
                      Last edited by Denny; 01-29-2010, 09:15 AM.
                      Denny

Blogs:

Comment

Ill just share my build, I had similar goals to yours. and very close results.

motor is built for 20+ish psi, but i haven't upped the boost yet. still waiting on a friend to open up his dyno so i can extract more power.
                        15psi, no dyno time yet, only track tuned using old school plug checking, afr/egt logging, and good ol ear knock sensing. roughly calculated using known comparisons about 300whp on 91 pump gas. So far, about 5,000 miles and 2 track days of burning brakes up to keep up with e46m's and e92m's

starting from bottom up
                        • stock crank
                        • s50 rods
                        • arp rod bolts
                        • mcmaster special 12.9 main bolts
                        • wiseco 8.5:1 pistons w/ceramic crown coating (i don't recommend the coating)
                        • o-ring block using ISKY tool
                        • stock headgasket
                        • stock cylinder head, shaved 12thou
                        • matched stock valve springs
                        • ARP headstuds
                        • stock intake mani
                        • stock ignition system
                        • NGK BPR7EIX iridium plugs (2steps colder)
                        • Blitz SS dual drive BOV
                        • medium intercooler (26"x9"x2.5")
                        • 42lb lucas injectors
                        • AEM Wideband
                        • old style ebay manifold (chinese manifolds are really hit or miss, mines lasted everything I put it through)
                        • custom big comp wheel FP garrett gt3071ish dualbb (negligible facts, .50 a/r comp, .82 a/r turb)
                        • 3" straight ss w/ mandrel bent tubes all to muffler
                        • DIYPNP (aka microsquirt pnp)
                        • noisy as shit walbro 255lph

don't ask how much it took for me to get to this point. although the current setup probably landed somewhere in the 3,000 mark for the engine alone, all the engines i went through "testing" and what not...ignorance is a bliss.

Since you want to leave your bottom end stock, I would do this:
                        • O-ring block
                        • stock headgasket
                        • ARP studs
                        • whatever your head/porting/cam dreams
                        • NGK BPR7EIX plugs
                        • some tubular turbo manifold (home built, 666fab, or ebay)
                        • dual ball bearing turbos spool. I went from the ebay t3/t4 hyrbrid, which is a great journal bearing internal wastegate turbo for 300whp, to the FP dualbb garrett, and was blown away on boost response. For the price difference....I'd still go for the Chinese turbos. They even have Chinese dual BB gt35r's. for the money you cant go wrong. i have yet to see one fail, in person.
                        • DIYPNP
                        • LC-1 Wideband
                        • 42lb Bosch injectors (good for 400whp at stock fuel pressure)
                        • 3" exhaust
                        • maybe a fuel pump. I've heard rumors that stock fuel pump at stock fuel pressures can support 400whp, but please take this with a grain of salt. I have not tested this.

This setup would support 350whp no problem, mild cam+15psi. Watch out for knock/ping, stock pistons are pretty fragile around the crown/1st ring land, so tune with caution my friend. This setup can be relatively cheap; stressing on the "relatively".

In my 3 years of turbo m20 tuning experience, I've destroyed 2 sets of stock pistons and a cylinder block, "learning" how to build and tune m20s. My advice is only what I found to work.

Of course, it's your responsibility to make sure everything is assembled correctly, and you won't blow anything up. Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for you going destructo.

like they say: Fast, Reliable, Cheap. Pick two.

toodaloo motherfuckers,

Derek
                        DedericMS

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                        PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Originally posted by blueapplesoda View Post
                          Ill just share my build, I had similar goals to yours. and very close results.

motor is built for 20+ish psi, but i haven't upped the boost yet. still waiting on a friend to open up his dyno so i can extract more power.
                          15psi, no dyno time yet, only track tuned using old school plug checking, afr/egt logging, and good ol ear knock sensing. roughly calculated using known comparisons about 300whp on 91 pump gas. So far, about 5,000 miles and 2 track days of burning brakes up to keep up with e46m's and e92m's

starting from bottom up
                          • stock crank
                          • s50 rods
                          • arp rod bolts
                          • mcmaster special 12.9 main bolts
                          • wiseco 8.5:1 pistons w/ceramic crown coating (i don't recommend the coating)
                          • o-ring block using ISKY tool
                          • stock headgasket
                          • stock cylinder head, shaved 12thou
                          • matched stock valve springs
                          • ARP headstuds
                          • stock intake mani
                          • stock ignition system
                          • NGK BPR7EIX iridium plugs (2steps colder)
                          • Blitz SS dual drive BOV
                          • medium intercooler (26"x9"x2.5")
                          • 42lb lucas injectors
                          • AEM Wideband
                          • old style ebay manifold (chinese manifolds are really hit or miss, mines lasted everything I put it through)
                          • custom big comp wheel FP garrett gt3071ish dualbb (negligible facts, .50 a/r comp, .82 a/r turb)
                          • 3" straight ss w/ mandrel bent tubes all to muffler
                          • DIYPNP (aka microsquirt pnp)
                          • noisy as shit walbro 255lph

don't ask how much it took for me to get to this point. although the current setup probably landed somewhere in the 3,000 mark for the engine alone, all the engines i went through "testing" and what not...ignorance is a bliss.

Since you want to leave your bottom end stock, I would do this:
                          • O-ring block
                          • stock headgasket
                          • ARP studs
                          • whatever your head/porting/cam dreams
                          • NGK BPR7EIX plugs
                          • some tubular turbo manifold (home built, 666fab, or ebay)
                          • dual ball bearing turbos spool. I went from the ebay t3/t4 hyrbrid, which is a great journal bearing internal wastegate turbo for 300whp, to the FP dualbb garrett, and was blown away on boost response. For the price difference....I'd still go for the Chinese turbos. They even have Chinese dual BB gt35r's. for the money you cant go wrong. i have yet to see one fail, in person.
                          • DIYPNP
                          • LC-1 Wideband
                          • 42lb Bosch injectors (good for 400whp at stock fuel pressure)
                          • 3" exhaust
                          • maybe a fuel pump. I've heard rumors that stock fuel pump at stock fuel pressures can support 400whp, but please take this with a grain of salt. I have not tested this.

This setup would support 350whp no problem, mild cam+15psi. Watch out for knock/ping, stock pistons are pretty fragile around the crown/1st ring land, so tune with caution my friend. This setup can be relatively cheap; stressing on the "relatively".

In my 3 years of turbo m20 tuning experience, I've destroyed 2 sets of stock pistons and a cylinder block, "learning" how to build and tune m20s. My advice is only what I found to work.

Of course, it's your responsibility to make sure everything is assembled correctly, and you won't blow anything up. Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for you going destructo.

like they say: Fast, Reliable, Cheap. Pick two.

toodaloo motherfuckers,

Derek
                          DedericMS
                          LOL...Fuc*$#%$$^ing great write up!
                          Denny

Blogs:

Comment

dederic how much to ship your kits to Montreal? I had a look at your website before you revamped it. The kits look nice! PM me with shipping to montreal and I want to know the specs on the turbo you use in all your stages.

Comment

Working...
                            X