Some N00b Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some N00b Questions

So as most of you know Im working with a 86 325es that I overpaid for. Had I paid what I should have I'd consider selling it and moving up to something more potent, preferably later model too. BUT here I am. Car is chipped and has a magnaflow muffler, thats all thats done performance wise. Im craving more speed (duh). I plan on tracking the car too and I want more go. (Im already taking care of suspension, dont worry). I dont plan on doing any big things until I get the rest of the car refreshed also.

Now my friend drives an 88 volvo 240 that he bought for 500. It was slow as fuckkkkkk when he got it, a small ass inline 4 in a giant heavy car. But he ended up turboing it with a turbo+manifold+intercooler from junkyard cars and paid under 300 bucks total, maybe less, for the entire install. Now the intall was pretty easy as there is SO MUCH ROOM in that engine compartment, theres a good 4-8 inches around the engine on all sides and the parts to turbo it are easy to come by as tons of other volvo's are turboed, it was pretty much bolt on. He hasnt done anything else for fuel management/ecu so it doesnt run anywhere as good as it could, but it easily gave him around 40 horsepower and it feels really good.

Now Im pretty sure thats not realistic with an m20 as things are really hard to get too and finding what you need isnt as easy or cheap. Im pretty good with my hands and this kinda stuff, but Im new to cars. I know I could install the turbo on my friends car but i DONT think I could do an engine swap.

Also anything and everything would have to be on the super cheap.

I know this has got to be asked alot before, everyone the most power for the least amount of money and im sorry if this is annoying. But I wanna know whats the best way to get close to 200 HP for under 1000. Also I need replace my clutch but that alone would be a good enough excuse to just replace the engine. Or do you think i could mod the m20 enough without pulling it or turboing it to get a good amount of power? Do you think i could sell a m20 with 150k on it in good condition for a good amount of money?

Thanks and sorry for my lack of knowledge. I look forward to knowing my car inside and out but its gonna take a few years haha.

You guys are awesome btw
Working...
X