Stroker motor and general e30 turbo questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stroker motor and general e30 turbo questions

Hi guys. I apologize in advance if this thread is repetitive. Im new to the e30 scene, although i've worked on many e30's and am in the process of helping my friend do a e30 w/ s50 swap. I've had a e36 m3 for the past 3+ years that I have modified pretty extensively and used as a auto-x/track car. I just recently had the opportunity to trade it for a '91 325i e30 turbo +7k. The e30 currently has a m20b25 in it with a garret AI research 60mm and is running off a TCD tune.

The car came with a eta motor, an extra "i" head, and a copper headgasket. I've heard that the eta motor combined with the "i" head yields a 2.8l stroker with lower compression, which would be more ideal for boost. My buddy also has a s50 crank and rods, as well as a whole m52 motor. I've heard the s50 crank can be used to stroke further, but would however raise the compression.

My question is what is necessary to make the stroker motor work? Is it beneficial to do it? What is the most cost effective way to build it? And which stroker motor combo is best for a turbo application.

Also would you reccomend me getting a standalone engine management? Miller performance is a 3 hour drive from me, would you reccomend I just get their W.A.R. chip and dynotuning at their shop over a engine management like megasquirt?

Heres a pic of my m3:

Last edited by thedean; 09-29-2010, 03:36 AM.
Working...
X