m50 hx40 newbie need some opions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Good & Tight
    replied
    Originally posted by mohamadr89
    okay cool, so with that garrett 60-1 or the gt35r i wont need a custom manifold right? because i dont have all the money in the world. lol but what am i looking at spending if i got the whole turbo kit with everything i need? just a rough estimate will be cool
    I have manifolds that fit the 60-1 perfectly along with a 3" down pipe.
    A TRM tune I think is around $1200
    Miller performance is having a special on their tuning software
    http://www.millerperformancecars.com/
    Manifold $530 Down pipe $280
    Wastegate $200+
    Blow off valve $100-$300 depending what brand.
    Turbo,$800-$400 depends new or used, here's a good one http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1640677

    Intercooler $100
    Intercooler piping $100

    It start's to add up, and this is with out the headgasket and ARP studs.
    Last edited by Good & Tight; 05-07-2011, 11:26 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • phreshkid
    replied
    Custom manifold? You'll definitely need a turbo manifold man. Blunt/GoodnTight sells a pretty good one, basically bolt on and go for your application, but you will need to figure out something new for the exhaust. Stock midpipe might be a little restrictive for a gt35.

    Talk to the guys at TRM; they do tuning for turbos and superchargers I hear.

    Basically they can burn you a chip for a setup they have had great success with.

    Leave a comment:


  • mohamadr89
    replied
    Originally posted by Good & Tight
    The HX40 will work, but it's a pretty big turbo size wise to fit plus you will need a custom manifold to make it fit.

    I would look into a Garrett 60-1 with a .63 backhousing or a GT35R, much newer turbo than an HX40.

    okay cool, so with that garrett 60-1 or the gt35r i wont need a custom manifold right? because i dont have all the money in the world. lol but what am i looking at spending if i got the whole turbo kit with everything i need? just a rough estimate will be cool

    Leave a comment:


  • Good & Tight
    replied
    Originally posted by mohamadr89
    well just to be safe im going to buy the head steads and gasket so i might as well buy the bigger turbo too. should i get the hx40?
    The HX40 will work, but it's a pretty big turbo size wise to fit plus you will need a custom manifold to make it fit.

    I would look into a Garrett 60-1 with a .63 backhousing or a GT35R, much newer turbo than an HX40.

    Leave a comment:


  • mohamadr89
    replied
    Originally posted by The Humjet
    I have no doubt that your transmission will handle that power, as long its in good working order. So is that 325iC in that picture is yours right? They come with the medium sized 8 bolt diff which are pretty strong aswell. I'm not sure if you can use the m3 diff maybe change the back cover to your stock diff cover to make it fit, but I'm still not sure on that. Stock diff should be fine though

    well the tranny is still in the wrecked m3 but if shits fine. i heard one guy say the same thing about swtching the insides of the m3 diff and putting on the e30 witht the m3 cover. so i'll give it a go and see what happens. yes my car is a 325ic. it looks so different when i first got it. lol i painted it, did the interior and mtech kit, headlights and exhaust. now i just need the swap to get completed along with a turbo kit. lol

    Leave a comment:


  • mohamadr89
    replied
    Originally posted by Good & Tight
    It's a vanos engine and transmission can handle 700hp. The max psi you can run on that stock engine is 9psi on a very good tune and 93 octane.

    If you want more than 9psi then you will need the headstuds, thicker headgasket to drop the compression and bigger turbo, stronger clutch to support the HP.
    It all depends how much you want to spend $$$$
    well just to be safe im going to buy the head steads and gasket so i might as well buy the bigger turbo too. should i get the hx40?

    Leave a comment:


  • Good & Tight
    replied
    Originally posted by mohamadr89
    wow thats amazing power and good info. just a few more questions if you dont mind... i bought a wrecked 95 m3 so im using the motor tranny and ecu. is the motor vanos or vm and whats the difference. and which transmission do i have? also, if i did do that turbo setup you said, just to be safe i should get the head studs too right? sorry if i had any dumb questions but i would like to know. thanks again
    It's a vanos engine and transmission can handle 700hp. The max psi you can run on that stock engine is 9psi on a very good tune and 93 octane.

    If you want more than 9psi then you will need the headstuds, thicker headgasket to drop the compression and bigger turbo, stronger clutch to support the HP.
    It all depends how much you want to spend $$$$

    Leave a comment:


  • The Humjet
    replied
    I have no doubt that your transmission will handle that power, as long its in good working order. So is that 325iC in that picture is yours right? They come with the medium sized 8 bolt diff which are pretty strong aswell. I'm not sure if you can use the m3 diff maybe change the back cover to your stock diff cover to make it fit, but I'm still not sure on that. Stock diff should be fine though

    Leave a comment:


  • mohamadr89
    replied
    Originally posted by The Humjet
    http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...kit-p2215.aspx

    This all that you will need for your motor I'd opt for the .140 thick gasket for the s50 motor. On higher boost you should be looking 500whp+. Like I said the s50 is one heck of a motor it's gonna be a real animal under any sort of boost as long you can get a good tune happening this motor is built to go the distance

    Also have a look at this for tuning your motor it's a bit pricey for what it is but I do rate Miller products highly and they have great customer service so whenever in doubt Brody will help you get your car running right

    http://www.millerperformancecars.com...category_id=45
    Yea that kit is the one I need you are absolutely right. So this is the first thing im going to get when I so the swap. Then I have to find the whole hx35 turbo kit which I'm sure is a lot of $$$$$ but well worth it. Do you think my transmission and rear end and all that can handle all that power and boost? It's the tranny out of a 95 m3 but I don't know which one... I also don't know what rear end to use. Can I use the one out of the e36??? Thanks for all your help!

    Leave a comment:


  • The Humjet
    replied
    Bore: 87.5 mm. Gasket Thickness: .030"; .040"; .050"; .070"; .080". Head Stud Type: ARP 2000; ARP L19.


    This all that you will need for your motor I'd opt for the .140 thick gasket for the s50 motor. On higher boost you should be looking 500whp+. Like I said the s50 is one heck of a motor it's gonna be a real animal under any sort of boost as long you can get a good tune happening this motor is built to go the distance

    Also have a look at this for tuning your motor it's a bit pricey for what it is but I do rate Miller products highly and they have great customer service so whenever in doubt Brody will help you get your car running right

    http://www.millerperformancecars.com...category_id=45

    Leave a comment:


  • mohamadr89
    replied
    i found the studs for 193.00 which is a pretty decent price. now i just got to look forthe gasket.

    Leave a comment:


  • mohamadr89
    replied
    Originally posted by The Humjet
    Multi layer steel (mls) gasket made by cometic you can go thinner, stock or thicker. A lot of 24v turbo guys have had good success with a thicker gasket and arp head studs. These motors are very capable machines and it doesn't take much to make power, and the gearboxes they come with can handle stupid amounts of power
    thank you so much, im new to al this swap stuff and that helped out a lot. is all that stuff pretty pricey?

    Leave a comment:


  • The Humjet
    replied
    Multi layer steel (mls) gasket made by cometic you can go thinner, stock or thicker. A lot of 24v turbo guys have had good success with a thicker gasket and arp head studs. These motors are very capable machines and it doesn't take much to make power, and the gearboxes they come with can handle stupid amounts of power

    Leave a comment:


  • mohamadr89
    replied
    Originally posted by Good & Tight
    Stock S50 on 7psi with an HX35 should be in the 350rwhp range. I wouldn't run more than 9psi on a stock engine, anything more then you need to drop the compression with MLS and head studs.


    oh yea and whats mls? im sorry

    Leave a comment:


  • mohamadr89
    replied
    Originally posted by Good & Tight
    Stock S50 on 7psi with an HX35 should be in the 350rwhp range. I wouldn't run more than 9psi on a stock engine, anything more then you need to drop the compression with MLS and head studs.

    wow thats amazing power and good info. just a few more questions if you dont mind... i bought a wrecked 95 m3 so im using the motor tranny and ecu. is the motor vanos or vm and whats the difference. and which transmission do i have? also, if i did do that turbo setup you said, just to be safe i should get the head studs too right? sorry if i had any dumb questions but i would like to know. thanks again

    Leave a comment:

Working...