Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbski
    replied
    Kinda answered my own question when I re read my post. Not honing the cylinders and only doing rings won't gain me much if the cylinders are glazed.

If compression test is good again would a leak down point me in a direction I could follow?

Leave a comment:

• turbski
    replied
    now brings up a question I may very well get flamed for, but im gonna ask anyways. if I said I wanted to replace the piston rings, how terrible of a person would I be to only do the rings (all pistons) and leave cylinders and bearings alone... assuming they don't measure way out?

Leave a comment:

• turbski
    replied
    I went with the 10oz unit from ecs. believe its made by turner motorsports. hopefully it will do the job. gotta be better than the ebay one I through in there

Leave a comment:

• ak-
    replied
    Nice. Make sure your catch can is absolute quuuaaaaaaaality in separating oil from vapor if you intend to plumb it back to the front of the turbo (If I'm making sense of what you said).

Leave a comment:

• turbski
    replied
    compression test came back good at beginning of last season. wouldn't say worried. winter is getting long up hear. more of a curious factor I suppose. ive got all the plumbing to run from my catch can into the pre turbo hoses.
    when the temps get out of the single digits ill tackle it.

Leave a comment:

• ak-
    replied
    m20 2.7i seta bottom end.

~20k miles since build

Super faint vapor during operating temp idle.
    Obviously more visible when WOT (dyno).

Compression test your engine if you're worried.

Leave a comment:

• turbski
    replied
    im wondering if this is true for most and maybe the rings are not in the greatest health. will be curious if anyone else does or does not have this going on.

Leave a comment:

• citizen_insane
    replied
    Originally posted by turbski View Post
    How much oily vapor does everyone see when vented to atmosphere? Mine at an idle will puff out a bit of vapor even with a catch can and filter dumping to atmosphere.
    Almost none. I've had my car on the road for ~500 miles and have my valve cover pcv port vented to atmosphere near the brake booster. No oil residue at all. I'm still planning to run an oil-air separator eventually, but it doesn't look like it needs to be a huge priority.

Leave a comment:

• turbski
    replied
    How much oily vapor does everyone see when vented to atmosphere? Mine at an idle will puff out a bit of vapor even with a catch can and filter dumping to atmosphere.

Leave a comment:

• Q5Quint
    replied
    would it be ok to just by pass filter and send it to the turbo
    Yes, it will stop the stinking and make your leaky o-ring less of an issue.

Your vent currently isnt sucking, so you wont see anything in the filter unless the crank and valve cover are pressurized which would send gas out your filter. The gatoraid bottle catch can to intake suction will get you a full gatoraid bottle every 2 months or so. That is water and oil that is just sitting inside your engine without that suction.

or is the exhaust with an AN line preferred method?
    I would highly advise against this as it would likely kill your catalytic converter and/or you if the oily gas catches fire in your exhaust. Exhaust back pressure could actually push backwards into your 'vent' which would make things awkward, so I wouldnt do it at all even with some kind of check valve.

My old diesel benz dumps its valve cover vent into the filter box pre-turbo. If you dont have a nice round metal filter cover to catch turbine blade destroying droplets and oil your filter at the same time (its like a free k&N every time!), make sure to use a catch can or inline filter.

cut a hole in the cap, shove two hoses in, goup up cap with rtv. Screw on bottle and done. Or just buy the ebay/amazon one for $20

Leave a comment:

• turbski
    replied
    managed to replace the upper o ring but unable to get at the lower... the one that's actually leaking..... meh, winter will be hear soon enough and ill do it while the car is up in the garage for snow season.

Would like to know more about your Gatorade bottle though,
    I have a cheap vent to atmosphere catch can, with a cheap little filter on top of it to release the gasses, I get a little bit of "stuff" in the bottom of it but hardly worth taking note of the amount. even with the filter I get a noticeable amount of gasses escaping from said filter, stinks a fair amount...… would it be ok to just by pass filter and send it to the turbo or is the exhaust with an AN line preferred method?

Leave a comment:

• Q5Quint
    replied
    Zip tie the springs down and replace the o-rings at the top/bottom.

The tube just connects the valve cover to the crank case, so without proper vac being pulled on the valve cover your oily vapor will leak out of it and other seals.

Leave a comment:

• turbski
    replied
    Ya it looks like less hassle to just pull the intake off, I tried a couple times but im gonna end up bending the tube if I don't pull the intake. unless im missing something?

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    I haven't touched an M20 in a few years, but you definitely don't need to pull the head. You might be able to get the "bitch tube" out by pushing it down into the block against the spring without removing the intake manifold (I think there's just enough space). If not, you'll need to pull the manifold, which might be less of a pain in the ass anyway.

Leave a comment:

• turbski
    replied
    is there any way to remove and seal around the tube that goes from the block to the bottom of the intake manifold without pulling the head ? I have a pretty decent leak right there that id like to take care of.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X