Ruthless the turbo 325ix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ak- View Post
    Tap your block instead of the pan for the oil drain.
    This. The flat spot behind the AC bracket is perfect to drill/tap and either loctite/jbweld to secure it. If you could braze it or weld it, that would be the best option though.

I stuffed some rags up in the block behind to catch the swarf, and act as a drill stop, but on my last car I drilled the engine in situ with a greased bit and flushed the oil through a few times to get whatever I missed.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the location ak- used won't work on an iX because of the motor mount arms, but it definitely illustrates the idea.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Ix pan doesnt sit low like the RWD pans, and the sump is in the rear.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
        Since our pans hang so low and are susceptible to breaking, you'd only have to worry about replacing the pan if it happens rather than welding on a new fitting for your drain. It's also always going to be above oil level.

Here's where I put mine - no problems for the past year.
        Wish I went AN though.

For rwd vehicles yes there is a good chance of it breaking but for the ix's it is a rear sump pan and not nearly as exposed as the rwd pan.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          I wont tell your wife about the dishwasher if you don't tell mine, lol. :-P
          Haha hey it's our secret!

Comment

Little update I got the hoke drilled for my drain fitting in my oil pan.

I also got my BOV and Wastegate I went with tial because I here they are the best
            BOV

Wastegate

I also need a v-band for my exhaust housing it is a 16cm holset h1c housing we have a place here in town that works on performance diesels I was planning on taking it there to see if they have one. If not and someone knows where to source one let me know.

Comment

nice build.
              2011 335i xDrive Msport - sold
              2002 M5
              '88 325ix turbo build :D

Comment

enjoying the read - keep up the good work!
                1990 325i/4/5 Delphin Grey/Natur

Comment

So I have been busy I have got alot done on my car lately.
                  I painted some of my parts and was planning on hydro dipping them but that didn't go as planned so I just painted them

I got my clutch and 60lb injectors installed.

I bolted my trans on and dropped the engine in.

I bought a new foglight to replace my busted one.

After putting the engine in I hung my manifold on the put the turbo on to mock up my oil feed and drain.

I got my pillar pod on and that was a bitch with all the wires behind it not to mention trying to route them in the tiny hole by the dash and the pillar and not pinch the boost line.

A shitty picture.

I also made a adapter plate to mount my megasquirt and routed the wires for the gauges. Where would You guys recommend to wire the switched power and the ground for the gauges? I was going to wire the unswitched power into the extra little fuse holder by the main fuse box.

Comment

Sub'd for ix goodness. I continue to struggle between a FI or NA build.
                    My Garage
                    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

I got the turbo mounted and the feed and drain lines routed. I also routed the charge pipes and ended up having to cut my valance a little but it fits now.

I made a small adapter plate for my m50 tps and it is decent not pretty but works it's under the throttle body anyway so I wasn't worried about it.

I got my gm air temp sensor installed I will post a picture of that later.
                      I welded up a downpipe and welded the o2 sensor bung on so I could start tuning. Also one more thing to note don't buy the shitty glowshift wideband it is really wonky looks good but does not function properly. Also I have a pretty important question how would I tune the engine and make sure I don't mess something up? I need to break the engine in and it needs to run good to properly break it in. And tuning seems to be alot of trial and error. I was thinking if I throw the stock injectors in, plug the old ecu in, put the afm back on in line with the charge pipe and the old o2 sensor. Then just take the spring out of my Wastegate and run basically no boost to break the engine in? Would that work? I have a dyno tune scheduled for July 14 and I would rather have the engine broke in so when I get it dynoed for a boost tune it is broke in. Help me out guys.

Comment

^I'm in the exact same boat! to scared to do a base tune myself after stuffing up last time...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

T U R B O - M 2 0 - B U I L D

M U S C C O O

Comment

I feel you man I don't want to fuck my new motor up because I'm in the process of trying to tune it. I wouldn't be as worried if the motor was already broke in.

Comment

Car is looking good, i'm running the same turbo manifold and wastegate.

Mines a 3.1L stroker but it fulls hard at 5-8 psi right now. Still working on my tune at the moment. Are you running megasquirt?
                            318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                            '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Awesome build so far man!

Comment

Where did you get the A pillar gauge pod from?

Comment

Working...
                                X