Is it possible to install turbo w/out ECU for a limited time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to install turbo w/out ECU for a limited time

Because of current budget constraints, I am having to forego the usual route of buying a turbo kit that includes wastegate, turbo, manifold, intercooler, piping, ecu and odds and ends. Since I'm having to do it piece meal I was looking at doing the following:
    • Install oil filter re-locator to make room
    • Tap the drain pan and install bung for oil return from a turbo and use a cap for the time being
    • Wait for the money

At the moment, that looks like all I can do while waiting on the resources to buy turbo, ecu, intercooler, and associated piping. While waiting I have seen 2 videos on recently turbo-ed cars where a piggyback ecu wasn't mentioned or one wasn't mentioned and was just using a base tune. The base tuned ecu provided VERY mild performance gains as expected and the other video didn't say anything. This leaves me to believe they may possibly have blown the motor. Since I don't know yet, I'm looking for answers.

Is it possible to keep the car running on the original E30 BMW ECU with a turbo setup on a very limited boost? If so, what things should I look out for?
Working...
X