Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

strongly considering turbo m10... whats involed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strongly considering turbo m10... whats involed?

ok to start out, why arent there more post about turbo m10s? i cant find any turbo kits ( beside the ebay kit) no write ups on it and whats involved. wheres all the m10 turbo love? so my budget is 1500 i want to turbo my car. is there any kits? at all? in not looking for big power i just want something 200 to 250 hp thats all. so please give me some advice and direction.

also yea i searched, everything is old and not what im looking for.

no i dont want to swap it. i dont care... at all.

It will cost more than $1500 to turbo your car, if you care about driveability, reliability, or performance.

You need to make sure your suspension is in order. Engine is healthy,and that your brakes are strong enough to stop you.

You could piece together a reliable turbo setup on your car for roughly 3k, but I wouldn’t doubt it could cost closer to 5k.

Comment

You can get that with a F20 N/A plat form.

Comment

Turbocharging every car is the same mechanically. It's all in the electronics and tuning.

You need (but not limited to) a turbo, coolant lines, oil lines, exhaust downpipe, charge pipes and couplers, intercooler, wastegate, wideband 02, ECU upgrade and tuning, wiring harness modification, injectors, possibly upgraded fuel pumps.

In my opinion, If I was going to put $1500 into an M10, I'd go NA with a big cam and ITB's before going turbo. Going for power on an m10 is not cost efficient. Start with an m20b25 for big numbers.
        Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

here is how i would approach it.

A) tripple the budget
          B) get megasquirt 2 running non turbo with full ignition and fuel control including variable TPS, intake air temp sensor in the inlet manifold and learn how to tune it.
          c) add all the turbo things.

Comment

Swap engine ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
              In my opinion, If I was going to put $1500 into an M10, I'd go NA with a big cam and ITB's before going turbo. Going for power on an m10 is not cost efficient. Start with an m20b25 for big numbers.
              What? You don't need as big power if you're carrying 200lbs less. big cam and ITBs on a 1.8L M10 is probably not going to net more than 160whp. Not to mention, it'll be unstreetable. If you're gonna do a swap why waste time with a SOHC 2.5/2.7L motor that requires timing belt changes? Throw in an M30 or M5x instead.

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
              here is how i would approach it.

A) tripple the budget
              B) get megasquirt 2 running non turbo with full ignition and fuel control including variable TPS, intake air temp sensor in the inlet manifold and learn how to tune it.
              c) add all the turbo things.
              I agree with this—however $4500 might too much. Let's throw together a potential budget.

200whp Probably OK with factory head bolts if you don't get too aggressive with the timing. I would say that the bare minimum would be no management and just inject a bunch of fuel—but I'm really not sure how you can manage the fuel to make actual power, not to mention less aggressive ignition timing. You also need it to be driveable in vac, but have decent AFR in boost. RRFPR might do the trick, but who knows... I'm too old these days to say that's the way to go. Let's try a "good/better/best:"

flip manifold and weld in t3 flange: $75
              Spartan o2 controller: $130
              80 lb/hr injectors: $200
              chinese ebay turbo with internal wastegate: $175
              Megasquirt 2 + harness + misc wiring components: $750
              02again trigger wheel and sensor: $250
              Oil feed/return: $125
              charge pipes: $100
              exhaust: $200
              Ignition components: $150
              IAT sensor: $50
              TOTAL: $2200...
              add 10% for unforeseen costs... $2420
              add 10% for unforeseen unforeseen costs: $2660

Add intercooler: $150
              Add IAC: $100
              Add TPS: $100
              Add head bolts: $200
              Add coolant feed/return: $100
              Add'l: $650
              TOTAL: $3310

Add manifold: $600
              Add high quality turbo: $2000
              Add clutch: $500
              TOTAL: $6410
              ...then build the motor and need a clutch + transmission. Add flex sensor, pressure transducers, speed sensors, MS3X, etc...

It is possible. Really just depends how deep you decide the rabbit hole goes. I am happy to answer any questions about my build or share my experience/tune. My car is making an estimated 200wtq on 7psi on a t25/t28 sized turbo with MS3X. I personally like doing something different, who cares about the platform? If you wanted to make big, good power that you could put to the ground you'd LS swap a fox body. These days, an economical platform will never be an e30. Have fun and use it as a learning experience.
              '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
              NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
              Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Your $3300 estimate is doable. But that’s if he knows how to tune, has materials and garage space, and already beefed up the other parts of the car mechanically. If he hasn’t, he will end up spending 5k, or near it, as I said before.

If you go cheap at the beginning, you end up paying for it in the long run. Do it right

Also, It’s not hard to crash/kill yourself with a early 80’s car that has triple the power it came with from the factory without any other precautionary upgrades installed.

Comment

#1- 2 liter crank and pistons...

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by mason6556 View Post
                    ok to start out, why arent there more post about turbo m10s?

Comment

ok to start out, why arent there more post about turbo m10s?
                      I've been looking for the same.
                      Found this gentleman on youtube, he posted a link under a video. Very nice build, great thread too.
                      Her kommer en tråd om min 1986 e30 325i. Som er bygd om med m10 turbo motor, og godkjent på biltilsynet! Våler 2015 Bilde fra BMWCCN treff på Vålerbanen sept 2013: Denne, som mange ande e30'er går gjennom årlige oppgraderinger og forbedringer av mange slag. Så jeg kommer til å begynne litt fra st...

Comment

^thats pretty in depth. Good waste of my wednesday afternoon. Thanks!
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

M10s are strong, do it. Cost depends entirely on how much you can do yourself. My original E30 build goal was to find an early 318i and boost the M10, they're light cars and the earliest look totally unassuming, great sleeper.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 1-26

Comment

They are fairly capable. Only problem is sourcing quality turbo manifold. Beeing in the e30 platform its easier to swap medium case diff. Transmission-wise you can go with g260 out of m30 powered car or g265 or stay stock g240 if you dont plan for over 200whp.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Comment

Working...
                            X