Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

disadvantage to using a cam requiring oversized eccentrics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disadvantage to using a cam requiring oversized eccentrics?

do they lose lift or something? I'm not looking to get a reqrind, I just wanted to know.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

nobody knows?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have a regrind from top end perf. They said it wouldn't need oversized eccentrics, but I couln't get the valves adjusted right using just the normal ones. I ended up using lash caps designed for aircooled vw's. They fit fine and are dirt cheap. No problems now. With caps or oversized eccentrics the lift, duration will be unchanged. No downside to using them other than the additional expense and install.

Comment

Re: disadvantage to using a cam requiring oversized eccentrics?

Originally posted by nando
        do they lose lift or something? I'm not looking to get a reqrind, I just wanted to know.
        Don't pretty much all aftermarket cams require them? I think even the 272/272s are supposed to need oversized eccentrics...

My fast says: traction control is for the faint of heart :evil:

Comment

Not all aftermarket cams need eccentrics. Usually only reground cams. My regrind definitely needed them. I got the 60 thousand oversized units from bmp. I still have them a little loose (like 15 thous lash) and I think I can get a little bit more lift/duration out of the cam.

No real downside that I can tell except having to buy them. You end up with all your lift granted your cam regrind gives optimal lobe height.
          Old and improved:

Comment

The only downside I can think of is the increase in reciprocating mass.

Comment

Working...
            X