• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird no sart issue

Car info:
    1992 315i vert
    converted from autotragic to manual

Symptoms:
    After driving a lot the engine would stumble until it died. If I punched the gas pedal(to keep rpms up) the rpms would jump up but then fall down and the engine would eventually die.
    I would keep car off for about 10-15min and the car would start right back up and drive fine without issues.

With this problem it seems to be something electrical and wasn't common enough for me to diagnose the exact issue.

The last time the car ran was close to 2 months ago. I drove about 25-30 miles. It was parked for about 3 hours and then I started driving home. It died on me once and I managed to get it into a parking lot. I cranked and cranked until battery was drained. I got a jump and made it about 10 miles before it died on me again. this time I got it towed home.

Problem:
    Obviously not starting, but heres the weird part about it. If the ignition is off I can pull the main relay and then plug it back in and the icv will start humming/buzzing as it should. As soon as I turn the key to the on position the icv stops buzzing.
    If I leave the relay in and ignition off the relay itself will get hot.

If anyone has any input or ideas that could help me, that would be greatly appreciated.
Working...
X