Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

160 whp attainable on a basic m20 build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearmw
    replied
    Great info Jim.

Leave a comment:

• jlevie
    replied
    It is possible to get 160rwhp on a DynoJet from a fully stock M20B25 engine. Doing so requires balancing of all moving parts, swapping rods/pistons around to get the most uniform deck height, precision rebore and precise matching of piston diameters to the bores, a three angle valve grind, matching of valve springs, and a new or blueprinted cam. You also need a fresh ignition system and professionally cleaned and rebuilt injectors.

We decked the head to the max to slightly raise CR and modified the cam sprocket to bring the cam timing back into spec. A minor tweak of the CPS mount was used to slightly advance the spark timing.

That engine in my Spec E30 pulled 161rwhp on a DynoJet on a 100F day. The numbers would have been slightly higher on a cooler day.

Leave a comment:

• f2740xd
    replied
    nevermind, search found my answer to question edited out.
    Last edited by f2740xd; 09-17-2015, 05:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Yes it does. Makes for a horrible tuning session with wind down though :(

Leave a comment:

• TobyB
    replied
    ...the lighter flywheel makes it more fun to rev- match, too...

t

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    Originally posted by f2740xd View Post
    Okay, then I won't worry about the fw for now, would rather spend the 220+ship from rhd on a tune, that'll prob come longer down the road unless I'm feeling spend and splurge. Don't want to spend more than 1200 all in on performance mods. Could kinda do a turbo build with the 780$ cx kit, tcd 179$ tune, $180 for a wideband, and blue top bigger injectors running 8 psi (ish), but not sure how I feel about that (would be on stock hg and bolts). Any input as to that?

... oh and a couple hundred to have a down pipe made

also don't know what the deal is with the fuel pressure regulator... is the stock one useable on low power levels?
    a light weight fw will make a big difference in 1st and possibly 2nd gear where the rate of change of engine rpm is greatest the car will acclearte noticeably faster, to not do it because it may not produce more power on the dyno seems like a strange idea. are you trying to build a dyno queen? usually you do modification to make the car accelerate faster more often than not the dyno picks this up but not always. there are also things that make more power on the dyno but dont really make the car accelerate faster

Leave a comment:

• f2740xd
    replied
    Originally posted by digger View Post
    what does the engine baseline at now? that will tll you how much more you need
    very good point, and the answer to that is unknown. just read through your build thread and man is your setup sweet. goals x10000

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    what does the engine baseline at now? that will tll you how much more you need

Leave a comment:

• f2740xd
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    a "build" here usually means stanceworks coils and ESMs. I highly doubt the head is coming off. this build seems more like "160whp attainable on a basic m20 bolt ons"
    head is already fresh; new seals, resurfaced, etc..

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by digger View Post
    by build i'm assuming you are freshening the bottom end in which case its easily achieveable
    a "build" here usually means stanceworks coils and ESMs. I highly doubt the head is coming off. this build seems more like "160whp attainable on a basic m20 bolt ons"

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    by build i'm assuming you are freshening the bottom end in which case its easily achievable with custom tune.
    Last edited by digger; 09-17-2015, 03:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ak-
    replied
    all things healthy, megasquirt alone would get you near the number you're after.

Leave a comment:

• f2740xd
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    Just use larger injectors and have a chip made, or go with MS. I haven't had an issue with the stock regulator, it is actually a rising rate, it will increase 1psi for every psi of boost being fed into the vac port. Using those high rising rate is not a good way to tune.
    Okay, and yeah I'm aware that the cheap turbo stuff, could find a better bov and stuff. I'm mixed as to the turbo itself. I've heard that the turbos cx has aren't terrible, and that china turbos aren't the worst if you don't push tons of boost through them, which I wouldn't be doing.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Just use larger injectors and have a chip made, or go with MS. I haven't had an issue with the stock regulator, it is actually a rising rate, it will increase 1psi for every psi of boost being fed into the vac port. Using those high rising rate is not a good way to tune.

Leave a comment:

• enigmaticdream
    replied
    I got 154/152 rwhp on a 200k+ mile m20b25 with 272 cam, refreshed head, long tube headers, 19lb injectors and a SSSquid chip to match.

This is up from 143rwhp a few years ago without headers or cam.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X