Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitalwave
    replied
    I think most SpecE30 guys just overfill by a lot. They might have a baffled pan. Only a few have crank scrapers. Every once in a while you see Accusumps, but I don't think those do much.

I have a baffled pan and crank scraper, and I overfill by 1/4 - 1/2 quart. Never seen lower than 50psi on track in any corner at Sebring, Homestead, PBIR, Daytona, or Road Atlanta.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Hey, thanks for checking in. After the whole tear down we know there were multiple compounding root causes:

1. We ran at normal oil level, not 1/2 over
    2. Blockage in turbo oil feed
    3. Stock oil pan
    4. No crank scraper

Frankly, running a race engine $xxt happens. :-)

New JE pistons and IHJ scraper are here

Leave a comment:

• citizen_insane
    replied
    Sorry to hear about the engine and turbo, that's some really bad luck.

I don't think the crank scraper was necessarily the root cause for the low oil pressure, I have one on my car with an IE style baffle and I also saw oil pressure as low as 17 PSI at Atlanta Motorsports Park (very long left hand 4th gear sweeper). I haven't seen any glitter in my oil, but we'll see if my lead content goes way up in my next oil analysis. I got a trap door baffle from AAF to install when it warms up a bit, so hopefully that's enough. I'd rather not go down the full custom oil pan route you're going, it must be possible to keep these engines alive on track, the Spec E30 guys are doing it.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Got the trap doors and baffles done. A bit more finish work and it goes to the welder this week.

This is looking in from the bottom btw.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    No kidding. They're just temporary. Baffles will all be tig'd into a single unit and rivets drilled out.

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    Id be cautious of rivets internally in the pan.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Nice. Will be sure to check that.

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    Check the little locating tab on the rocker shafts isn't protruding too much out of the head. The VC has a little "bridge" there that holds the tab down. If that tab is crooked, or raised, then it interferes with the VC sealing. The cover needs very little torque on the nuts to seal. I rub a ~1/32" layer of goop on there too (Right Stuff).
    Just had to shout out the homie ForcedFirebird for this insight. I pulled my VC on Friday before racing at Homestead and sure enough, my rocker shaft "key" was sitting above the head by a good 2-3mm. Since I didn't want to adjust the rocker shaft positions, I just ground the key down slightly until it sat flush with the head. New gasket with a light skim of Right Stuff on both sides, and the VC did not leak one bit all weekend!

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Baffles in progress

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Oil pan is coming along nicely

Leave a comment:

• zwill23
    replied
    Cost effective in that they'll help keep your engine in one piece

Leave a comment:

• JehTehsus
    replied
    Originally posted by dvallis View Post
    New rods. Wife ironically says "Those look cost effective"

I received somewhat similar comments when I installed my piston rings on the dining room table...

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    New rods. Wife ironically says "Those look cost effective"

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    New custom catch can by Alexander Neumann in Indiana. Dual AN16 with enough venting. He does nice work.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Oil starvation will do that

Leave a comment:

Working...
X