• Show
Clear All

• Digitalwave
    replied
    That motor was pretty short lived!

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    We'll dry sump this M20 next rebuild. Just because. This time we're going with a trap door oil pan. I'll post plans when it's done for anyone to duplicate.

Remove stock baffle

Cut off the stock sump

Fine finish so it sits flat

CAD the sides and top

Add baffles

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Upon closer inspection #5 was cracked

New set of forged pistons and rods on the way

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    The mystery continues. No cracked rings on 4 or 5. Rings installed the right side up. Rings clocked correctly. No piston damage. Moving on to valves.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    A few more rebuild pictures

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    GT3076R aka GT30R ball bearing water cooled turbo rated for 525 HP on re-flanged downpipe.

Compressor: 4" inlet, 2" outlet, 0.64 A/R, 57 mm inducer, 76 mm exducer, trim 56
    Turbine: T4 undivided inlet, 3" V-Band outlet, 0.63 A/R, 60 mm inducer, 57 mm exducer, trim 84

With the new 10:1 compression ratio and this fast spool turbo it should be quite a ride.

Last edited by dvallis; 01-15-2021, 02:52 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    New bitch tube with AN16 vent.. It's gonna breathe much better.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    We could drill it, plug and grind holes but that sound like a PITA. Going with the modified cast pan for now. Long term I'm going to scan a pan flange, recreate in CAD and do a custom pan

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    I wonder if the pan is squished or something, shows using the same gasket as all M20's Minus an iX.

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    Originally posted by dvallis View Post

Most but not all of the 528e pan holes line up with the M20 block. On to plan B ... cast oil pan butchery. I'll be giving away the pan on for-sale, since it was donated to me.
    If it's just the holes, is there some reason you can't just plug/redrill?

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    It's a vacuum and afr thing. The stock throttle body has inlets between it an the MAF, one of which goes to the valve cover. Open the oil cap and you change the volume of air from head to intake manifold through a hose. Idle Air controller is supposed to compensate. You might have a defective IAC valve, wiring or hose.

Leave a comment:

• McGyver
    replied
    Bitch tube mod in progress for improved crankcase breather. Will have AN16 fitting welded on end.
    Dumb question:

On my stock m20 running factory management, when I pull the oil filler cap at idle the engine stumbles. Is this because engine vacuum is sucking unmetered air into the intake through the vent tube? (meaning the stock ECU with an AFM can't handle a vent-to-atmosphere catch-can, and would require the catch-can to be plumbed back into the manifold)

Once I switch to MegaSquirt and a MAP sensor, the vent-to-atmosphere may suck in air at idle but will vent crankcase pressure under load. Both are OK because the MAP sensor is just reading the manifold pressure.

Is that how it works?

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied

I talked to the MRT guy on eBay, His kit fits stock struts with the Z3 rack. Also found this thread that shows the MRT kit installed. It puts the knuckle really close to the Stoptech rotors he's using. My rotors are also way thicker than stock.(11.75" x 1.25" Hawk DTC) Not feeling grinding the knuckle for clearance. Any comments?

A lot of the bigger BBK need the casting on the outer ball joint of the control arms ground down.

A good rule of thumb is 10PSI per 1K RPM, Some spec E30 guys run the bigger sump pan, Maybe a paul poore makes it. I assume there will still be oiling problem. Vac oil pan baffle has trap doors which help.

If you're using head studs they usually need another torque after a few heat cycles especial with MLS gaskets.

Id pull vacuum on the valve cover into a venturi into the exhaust with a catch can in the middle of the routing. As long as your running no cat, high flow mufflers, it should pull a vacuum.

Stim tech I think made a billet valve cover with dual vac ports, It looks strong, wont crack that one! Id even consider to be a head girdle...

Vband clamps can be so annoying. Especially when they use a stainless nut on stainless stud. They seize instantly!! If you're lucky enough and they are metric you can put a washer and OEM copper nut on them.

Last edited by moatilliatta; 01-11-2021, 12:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Getting ready for engine pull.

Bitch tube mod in progress for improved crankcase breather. Will have AN16 fitting welded on end.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    We started with good compression on #1

But not so great on #4 and #5. Engine pull and teardown underway.

Most but not all of the 528e pan holes line up with the M20 block. On to plan B ... cast oil pan butchery. I'll be giving away the pan on for-sale, since it was donated to me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X