• Show
Clear All

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Looks great, great numbers too!

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Back to building things. Today we're bolting on the diffuser.

Drilling mounting holes into the frame.

Previously fabbed diffuser ready for installation. Mr. Ferrari's chief aerodynamicist handily left his PHD thesis online. Thanks for that. :-)

Jacked in place while we bolt it in.

We MIGHT pipe the exhaust out through this channel built into the diffuser for just that purpose. Our only concern is possible drone. Putting a pin in it for later testing.

Looking pretty sporty.

Off for a test drive.

Last edited by dvallis; 05-10-2020, 05:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Dyno results are back. These are cell phone screen grabs, pending the dyno sheets.

Turbo 0.58 exhaust housing was a complete success. At 10 psi we're hitting peak torque about 500 RPMs earlier. That may not sound like much, but there is WAY more power under the curve sooner. You can really feel the car pull hard. I really like how wide and flat the torque curve is at this boost level. Surprisingly, peak torque and horsepower are higher with the smaller exhaust housing. Very interesting.

Here's the 16 psi chart. Note the before line is bold in this case, after is thin. Torque and horsepower still comes on earlier, peaks are pretty much the same as 0.84 housing.

20 psi grand finale. Our stroked, boosted M20 is making 425 HP and 412 ft-lb torque. And that's not pushing it. Tuner said we are leaving power on the table, but probably best to call it good here.

We installed an aircraft grade driver/navigator headset intercom. This is GREAT for test driving and discussing what's going on in the car. Right rear tire is not getting hot BTW.

Also plugged the last of the OEM holes in the floor. No more exhaust fumes getting into the car. Side exhaust is working out great.

Driving impressions: At 20 psi this thing is scary freaking fast. There's no way to legally run WOT pulls. Gotta get it to the race track soon. :-) Tuner fixed the cold start issue, she fires up like a daily driver now. AFRs are solid all across the range. Here's some data at 20 psi. It literally spools from 0 to 20 psi at WOT in 1.0 seconds. And let me tell you, that's a heck of an experience in an ~2200 lb car.

Final footnote: I think we blew out the right rear wheel bearing, but that's for another episode.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Originally posted by Heezea View Post
    Hey dvallis, I absolutely love this "Das Beast" thread. I just bought my E30 and you are a huge inspiration to me. I am a total novice to engine work but I'm going to try to copy your engine/turbo build to the tee. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery right? Haha. I figure if I copy you I'll have a great build and I can learn a lot along the way. I'm going to mostly be daily-driving but I might dabble on a track on a rare occasion. Mine is a 1988 325ix so it may have a few parts that vary slightly that I'll need to look out for; certainly with the transmission but the engine should be identical.

I am going to end up going back through this whole thread to get a list of parts I need but before I do that I was wondering if maybe you already had a spreadsheet that you'd be willing to share? If not I'll share what I put together after going through.
    Hello Heeza, thanks for checking in. Glad to have provided some inspiration. Best piece of advice I have is "enjoy the adventure."

Check post #1 for complete build specs.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Originally posted by MrScuba View Post
    An update from Das Beast and Project Binky in the same week. What a birthday present!
    Love that series.

Leave a comment:

• Heezea
    replied
    Hey dvallis, I absolutely love this "Das Beast" thread. I just bought my E30 and you are a huge inspiration to me. I am a total novice to engine work but I'm going to try to copy your engine/turbo build to the tee. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery right? Haha. I figure if I copy you I'll have a great build and I can learn a lot along the way. I'm going to mostly be daily-driving but I might dabble on a track on a rare occasion. Mine is a 1988 325ix so it may have a few parts that vary slightly that I'll need to look out for; certainly with the transmission but the engine should be identical.

I am going to end up going back through this whole thread to get a list of parts I need but before I do that I was wondering if maybe you already had a spreadsheet that you'd be willing to share? If not I'll share what I put together after going through.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Update. Tuner is working the Vampire Shift. Dyno says we're getting power sooner! Stay tuned.

Leave a comment:

• MrScuba
    replied
    An update from Das Beast and Project Binky in the same week. What a birthday present!

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Update. Das Beast is putting down so much power it broke the dyno speed sensor. (?!) For real. Tuner repaired the dyno and will do more runs tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Awesome!

Went for a ride in my friends turbo M20 car this weekend (he's on here too but forget his username), holy hell. Ridiculous amount of power, his poor tires.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Car goes on dyno tonight

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Bell housing cover back on

Final pan work. Couple of pan bolts were not taking torque. Rob re-tapped them for a slightly larger diameter bolt.

One in the aluminum. That was too easy.

One into the iron block, waaayy back by the bell housing. NOT so easy. But he got it.

They both took a bit of torque like a champ.

Put the oil back in.

Prime the oil pump. Don't drop parts into the engine.

Button everything up ...

... then go test drive the heck out of it. Without getting into boost.

WOOOOOO!!!! NO MORE OIL LEAKS!

Rob dropped it off at the tuner. We should be back in business soon with a new tune.

Fingers crossed that it doesn't throw a rod. :-)
    Last edited by dvallis; 04-30-2020, 01:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    I have been using Permatex "The Right Stuff" for years. Comparable to Hondabond etc, but without the larger price tag. I get it in caulking tube sizes for the shop.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Originally posted by dvallis View Post
    Per Rob: "Absolutely torqued. I built a checklist as I developed my order of operations to avoid just such a calamity"

+1 for Rob. No Wall of Shame for this one :-)

Can see it was tightened in the 2nd oil pickup pic with the Permatex on.

Ever use Hondabond or Toyotabond? Great for oil pan sealing.

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Originally posted by Lugnuts View Post
    Did those oil pump bolts in the 3rd picture get tightened before the pan went back on?
    Good eye!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X