Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dvallis
    replied
    'Bird, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. We're running a Precision 6262 with T4 divided twin scroll turbine, 0.84 A/R exhaust housing, 62 mm wheel, 3-5/8" V-band flange. Talking to Precision, they offer a 0.68 or 0.58 T4 direct bolt-on replacement (see below) I think we'll go with the 0.58 to get this thing spooling fast as possible. The compressor is rated to 700 HP so will not run out of flow for ~400 HP. Precision gave me these MPNs which are not on the web site:

K-TH5862A: T4 tangential 0.58 A/R 62 mm wheel 3-5/8" flange
    K-TH6862A: T4 tangential 0.68 A/R 62 mm wheel 3-5/8" flange

Here's KAMotors dyno for the Canyon Crusher V2, which this whole build was based on from waaaayyyy back when.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Smaller exhaust will spool earlier. Would have to read back and see what your turbo specs are, but usually you can purchase a direct bolt-on exhaust housing to change the pressure ratios. For instance if you have a t3 .83 housing and go to a .63, the heat and pressure will build sooner, in turn lowering the RPM where full boost comes in. The trade off is you may run out of flow for the exhaust to exit at high RPM, but looking at your sheet, it looks to have plenty of flow up top. Basically it will make the power more linear (you have a large "dip" in the lower RPM). This is specially important in a road course car as you don't want big power jumps like that when driving the car to the limit of the tires - imagine exiting a corner and all of a sudden your car has 200 more HP on tap when you are trying to get traction. You have 150hp at 3500rpm and 350hp just 1000rpm later.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Yeah, the clutch is slipping in 4th gear at 19 psi. We're running a Clutch Master FX400 which is supposed to 550 ft-lb. It doesn't. SPEC stage 5 should solve it.

Talk to me more about exhaust housing size.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    I was thinking the same thing. Typically when a turbo is over sized, the more boost you add, the earlier it will come in. Looks to me like the exhaust housing is a bit large for this engine.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    boost comes on late?

Leave a comment:

• Old525i
    replied
    You mean it slips???

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Well, my dyno sheet got flagged as spam so here it is again.

418 HP / 400 ft-lb torque at 19 psi

Clutch is not holding in 4th gear at 19 psi. Looking at options. Will run at 16 psi 375 HP / 375 ft-lb torque for now.
    Last edited by dvallis; 02-04-2020, 06:34 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Hey, my dyno post got flagged as spam! Paging Mods for a post release.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Dyno Results !

Results are in: Das Beast makes 418 HP and 400 ft-lb torque at 19 psi.

Tuner is providing separate optimized Megasquirt maps for 10, 16 and 19 psi. Very cool of him. (+1000 for Roman and Boost Logic in Austin)

All those runs were in 3rd gear. 4th is another story.

See this post for our prior research on clutches. (Get the latest Chrome photobucket plugin from Das Beast post #1 to see pics) We're running a Clutch Masters FX400 that's supposed to hold 550 ft-lbs of torque, or 450 depending on who you ask. It doesn't. At 19 psi 400 ft-lbs the clutch slips like mad with 4th gear roll-ons. Fook!

E30 community, please chime in if you have actually installed and run a Getrag G260 clutch that can hold north of 400 ft-lbs in 5th gear. Some previously looked at options:

UUC E30 Performance clutch, 6 puck ceramic: "500 HP+"
    Southbend Stage 4 extreme KF296-SS-X: 500+ ft-lbs
    SPEC Stage 5: 600 ft-lbs

For now, we're going to drive and race it at 16 psi 375 HP for now

Last edited by dvallis; 02-04-2020, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    More Power Dammit!

Tuner started the car and we had a miss on cylinder 4. WTF, OVER?!

Dyno prep. Note to self. Do NOT pull on your fancy three piece plug wires when removing them or you will pull the freaking wire socket off a hidden lug in the boot. Pull on the nice solid boot. Or don't let monkeys play with plug wires.

Smoke test. Throttle body TPS shaft leaks a bit. No big deal. Also stuck it up the tail pipe and found a small exhaust leak south of the O2. No big deal either.

Woo! Tuner approved for dyno runs. Getting set up.

Click on the pic below for dyno run video.

Dyno sheets pending
    Last edited by dvallis; 02-04-2020, 12:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    PHOTOBUCKET ALERT

I posted the first thousand or so images on this blog using photobucket, before they started screwing everyone holding images hostage. Later switched to Imgur

You can see ALL the photos in the build by installing this Chrome plugin. The old one no longer works.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bifiaedg?hl=en

I'm sure the Photobucket "Arms Race" will continue, but screw them. Enjoy all the photos again, for now.

Leave a comment:

• zwill23
    replied
    It's officially about to live up to the name, bring on Das Beast

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Looking like March. I have crazy travel in Feb.

Update: We swapped in 0.020" gapped plugs (NGK BPR7ES 5534) per the tuner's request. Will be done next week. Going to tune closed loop at whatever boost he's comfortable with from the dyno runs. Probably sub 20 psi.

Woo!

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    So when is the first track outing going to be?!

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Car is at the tuner. We're in line behind a few cars but will get done in the next two weeks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X