• Show
Clear All

Fuel system parts are coming in.
    Attached Files
    "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
    2002 E39 M5

Comment

Back to normal posting. We'll see if Imgur can handle the traffic.

Today's build is creating a mounting cage for the fuel cell. We are using 1"x1" steel tube with 0.125" wall. It's good stock for welding and easy too work. You can cut it with a chop saw, but this thing is better: Low speed metal stock saw with a jury rigged feed system..

All pieces cut. It took an hour or so. The saw is slow. :devil:

Welding in progress. It's important to have a very flat surface and square corners or you will regret the results.

Here's the box tack welded together. Open end faces rear of the car. Fuel cell slides in.

Test fitting the fuel cell. Perfect.

Back of cell is captured by this separate metal frame. It will attach to the rear assembly via through bolts in the verticals. As a bonus, the whole fuel system will be mounted on this rear frame for easy removal, repair or testing. I like the idea of a self contained system.

Front frame done. Final bit for today was adding the 4 "ears" to the top rail. Top frame will both through these. I'm really liking this setup. Very clean and solid.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Can you repost the massive brake pics? Want to read and sucks with no pics.

Comment

Massive Brakes install pics reposted at #600. Enjoy.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

I use Flickr, no problem so far

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
            My Garage
            2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
            1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
            1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
            Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

If anyone would like a particular post resurrected, PM me or post the request here and I'll repost pictures.
              Last edited by dvallis; 06-30-2017, 01:29 PM.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

More fuel cell

We finished the top bracket today. Also looks great. Very solid.

Fuel cell fully mounted and captured with 1/4-20 through bolts. It's not going anywhere. :devil:

Fitting the cage for trunk mounting. Once all the holes get drilled I'll paint it before we bolt the thing down.

Notice the front "gate" is missing? We are building the modular fuel system on it. Pics on that soon.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Go Faster Pedal

Won't need to rock the white plastic gas pedal any more. E30 DTM aluminum accelerator from Massive Lee.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Really awesome build. Looking forward to seeing this thing completed! Always get excited when there's a new update haha. Gives me inspiration to work on mine to fix all the little problems I have.

Comment

Painted the fuel cell frame. I like the army green primer. Might use it for other things. :devil:

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Fuel System

Fuel system mock-up.

Bottom, left to right: 100 micron pre filter, carter LP pump
                        Top right to left: Bosch 044 HP pump, 10 micron post filter

Holding clamps for the filters and pumps run $30- $50 each online. We picked up a 2-1/2" pipe clamps for the 044 and 2" for the filters at Lowes for a couple of dollars each.

In the paint shop

2002 E39 M5

Comment

We've got the makings of a bad ass fuel system here.

Next step is connecting everything with 8AN SS fuel line. Stuff is like a garden hose. :devil: There is a point to the madness. I sized the line to support up to 700 HP on the M20 without fuel starvation. We needed to buy this chopper at Lowes to get good cuts on the hose. Hacksaw, cutoff wheel, recip. saw all did nasty things to the SS braid. This makes a nice clean cut. Wrap the braid with tape before cutting. It helps.

I'm not crazy about how the 8AN hose ends go on. Requires significant torque to screw in the fittings. Good for a tight seal, but feels like the fitting is close to breaking. Even with lube. Tech guys at Summit said "Yeah, we hear that all the time. Just go slow. It's fine." They also said "What the hell are you building that needs a 1/2" fuel line?!" :pimp:

Final result. Looking good. Will be bolting the surge tank to the fuel cell frame and adding a 1x1 support on the surge tank right side bottom. Bend radius is good. No kinks. Fuel flow will be excellent like this. Rest of the hose runs are shaping up as well. Had to re-order a couple of ends from Summit to get all the geometry right.

The "plug" looking thing in lower left surge tank port is a 1/2-NPT-M to 1/8-NPT-F adapter. Will be screwing a Longacre 43020 2-7 psi fuel pressure sender into the port. When the LP pump dash toggle switch gets thrown, this sender will drive a single green indicator light showing we have pressure in the surge tank. If that's good, driver throws the HP pump toggle. If we ever lose surge tank pressure, green light goes out. Simple and effective. Pressure switch is adjustable with an allen key from 2 to 7 psi.

We'll also have a pressure sender at the fuel rail driving a dash fuel pressure gauge.

The adventure continues ......

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Holy shit that is quite the system!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                            I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Updated fuel system diagram. Using Nuke fuel rail and Aeromotive 13132 fuel pressure regulator.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Moving on. Built a support structure which ties our surge tank into the fuel cell frame.

Fits the surge tank well. You can see the fuel pressure sender in the far lower port.

Remember I said the aluminum hose end fittings are a bit dodgy? Feels like they are close to breaking when getting torqued on. Well, here's what it looks like when they break. Lost two today. Needed to carefully grind them off to save the hose, and fitting on the other end.

Not a bad day's work. Fuel system is shaping up.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Working...
                                X